Official softimage forums just launched. Everybody sign up! :D

-A

ThirdEye
02-20-2008, 10:51 PM
what's this, a competitor for xsibase?

Strang
02-21-2008, 03:16 AM
not really

it is a response to a lot and i mean a lot of users criticizing softimage's effort in the community.

-xsinet is old outdated and essentially forgotten
-users have been requesting a place for resources, one that has 'stay'
-the gallery section has been gone from softimage's site for almost a year now (i think it is longer than a year)
-company interaction with it's community... ala 'autodesk area'

its great. and off to a great start!

gent_k
02-21-2008, 10:41 AM
Its xsibase with a nice download section (and gallery) basically. Considering that xsibase's resource section is basically 'broken' with files hosted elsewhere (mostly dead links), this is a good thing.

Although, unless it attracts a large chunk of XSI users, it will only be a 'me too' effort, only spreading/fracturing the community to even more forums. But I guess the download section and stuff can work well.

oh... stupid thing to complain about... but I hope they haven't 'locked in' to that ugly brown header color. :D

Leonard
02-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Thanks for clarifying Steve.

No it's not a competitor to any other XSI forums out there. People go where they want to go. One has to realize that Softimage is in the business of making good 3D software, not forums. For us, the forus were just cobbling together VBulletin, Photopost, etc and getting it up and integrated. It's just a forum and meeting point between the global XSI community and our guys. It's wild that you can engage in direct discussion with the people who build the tools and are passionate about making the best 3D tools.

There's more very useful stuff coming in the near future, so I'm hoping that you all will find the resource handy. The main difference between Soft|Net and say, XSI Base or CGTalk may not be apparent now, but if our efforts pay off, you'll find yourself constantly going back to it as a reference.

And no, we're not trying to be like The Area or do the same thing. I don't know of any ADSK artist that actually finds The Area useful.

Cheers,

Leo

Mechis
02-21-2008, 01:02 PM
I think this is a good move on SI's part. I've been wanting them to do something like this for a while.
~Mechis

Stoehr
02-21-2008, 08:56 PM
This is fantastic! I hope it catches hold. Consider me signed up!

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2008, 08:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.