PDA

View Full Version : photoshop painfully sluggish!!! i can't take it anymore!!

ricefarmer
02-20-2008, 06:30 AM
how am i suppose to paint when photoshop is super slow? after awhile it just takes a million years to draw a freakin stroke and i believe i tried everything... how the hell did people back then draw 600dpi paintings with photoshop 7 and an intel pentium 3? jesus christ

here are my specs..

dual core amd 64 live
nvidia geforce 6150se nforce 430 < latest driver
2 gigs of ram < in photoshop i set it 80% usage
photoshop cs2 < updated to 9.0.2 and used the dual core support driver
set level cache to 2
turned down the hardware accelaration

wasn't 2 gigs of ram considered alot?? jesus im not playing crysis im painting in photoshop! why the hell would it be so slow i just bought this stupid machine. is 600dpi way too much? even my photoshop 7 crashes....

i dont know whats going on but i can't get any work done like this...

seriously people in 1998 didn't have dual core and they did their work just fine why is it ten years later we having this stupid problem?? adobe get ur crap together man

any help?? im runnin out of options

joeparis
02-20-2008, 08:53 AM
I learned that around 60% is optimum.

is 600dpi way too much?
I think it's a lot although not prohibitively so. I did a quick scribble on a 200mm x 200mm 600ppi and there was no lag at all. Mind you it took 20 seconds for my file to reach 100Mb. My specs are similar.

blank
02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Back in the ancient days of mid 90's when i used to do photographic retouching there was something in the file menu that let you see a thumbnail of your image and you set a grid, you then clicked on the grid square you wanted to work on and it only opened that part of the image, then once you were done you saved it and it merged your changes back into the main document.

thats how i used to work on massive 60-100mb images back then ;)

as for your prob, mm dont now but my version of cs2 here at work eventually fills up my ram and doesn't clear it after a while (I think its called a memory leak), so i have to restart to damn program again, does your memory also all get used up?

tomt
02-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Two things;

600 dpi is meaningless. What the total dimensions of the image is what counts as far as using memory. 600 ppi at 1 inch square is not the same as 600 ppi at 10 inches square. So as for posting your question, need more info.

You mentioned a new machine, If you are using Vista as the OS, there is a little built in feature called a Tablet PC or pen flicks that should be disabled when using CS2. It really slows it down. There is a relatively recent thread at CGTalk regarding this.

I hope this helps, don't get too discouraged.

ricefarmer
02-21-2008, 12:23 AM
i tried turning off the stupid tablet input thing and i thought i did but the task manager keeps leaving it on as a background program.. when i use photoshop i turn off everything it allows me too... even explorer!! i shouldn't have to do this but i do, its very miserable using photoshop..

and its 600dpi 8.5 x 11inches... so its fairly big but should be a problem i mean thats what photoshop is for right?? jesus christ

even when i had an old xp laptop with 512mb ram one core 2.4ghz that ran photoshop better then this....

im starting to suspect the VISTA is the problem.. maybe i should roll it back to xp..... cuz my specs should be plenty
.. and one more thing how do u turn off all the tablet pc features??

Two things;

600 dpi is meaningless. What the total dimensions of the image is what counts as far as using memory. 600 ppi at 1 inch square is not the same as 600 ppi at 10 inches square. So as for posting your question, need more info.

You mentioned a new machine, If you are using Vista as the OS, there is a little built in feature called a Tablet PC or pen flicks that should be disabled when using CS2. It really slows it down. There is a relatively recent thread at CGTalk regarding this.

I hope this helps, don't get too discouraged.

ricefarmer
02-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Back in the ancient days of mid 90's when i used to do photographic retouching there was something in the file menu that let you see a thumbnail of your image and you set a grid, you then clicked on the grid square you wanted to work on and it only opened that part of the image, then once you were done you saved it and it merged your changes back into the main document.

thats how i used to work on massive 60-100mb images back then ;)

as for your prob, mm dont now but my version of cs2 here at work eventually fills up my ram and doesn't clear it after a while (I think its called a memory leak), so i have to restart to damn program again, does your memory also all get used up?

wow thats a really cool feature i never heard of what program was that? and can cs2 do anything like that.. seems that would be super useful..... get me some info on that program of urs? maybe its a plugin?

yes mine does fill up really really quickly.. after painting for like 10 minutes it gets full and craps out.. takes like 5 minutes for a stroke to complete... i dont know how pros get their comps to work but my doesnt.. this sucks

tomt
02-21-2008, 02:02 AM
I found the thread I was talking about regarding the Tablet PC thing.

It's here:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=14&t=510072

The exact thread is here, post number twelve. It realy does work and helps CS2 a whole bunch. CS2 was never evaluated under Vista, although CS3 is, and Adobe decided to do nothing about it.

Overall, Vista has been totally problem free other than the CS2 thing, and I recommend it over XP.

LRomero
02-21-2008, 01:25 PM
how am i suppose to paint when photoshop is super slow? after awhile it just takes a million years to draw a freakin stroke and i believe i tried everything... how the hell did people back then draw 600dpi paintings with photoshop 7 and an intel pentium 3? jesus christ

here are my specs..

dual core amd 64 live
nvidia geforce 6150se nforce 430 < latest driver
photoshop cs2 < updated to 9.0.2 and used the dual core support driver
set level cache to 2
turned down the hardware accelaration

wasn't 2 gigs of ram considered alot?? jesus im not playing crysis im painting in photoshop! why the hell would it be so slow i just bought this stupid machine. is 600dpi way too much? even my photoshop 7 crashes....

i dont know whats going on but i can't get any work done like this...

seriously people in 1998 didn't have dual core and they did their work just fine why is it ten years later we having this stupid problem?? adobe get ur crap together man

any help?? im runnin out of options

Why are you turning down hardware acceleration? You should always have this maximized as to take full advantage of your video card for display.

Go into your control panel and make sure you're in classic icons view then select System. On your left hand panel you should see something called Advanced System Settings. When you go in there go into your performance options and make sure it is set to Performance rather than Graphical or Let Windows Choose... basically what this will do is dub down to a basic windows look but it will allow you to test the performance of your system.

Also make sure that under the Power option that you have it set to Performance as well. On newer chips they have an added feature that allows the chip to run slower when not under 100% load and it can sometimes slow down your computer.

There are a few other options but in order to narrow down the slow down problem you have to take it one step at a time.

Hope this helps.

workbench
02-22-2008, 04:45 AM
People in '98 didn't have monitors with huge resolutions as a 22" wide monitors of today will work on, resolution counts a lot in performance.

Also no one works at 600 DPI that's overkill, 400 DPI will get you quite excellent printing results, 300 DPI if is just painted art will also print great, less than 300 DPI and it starts printing very pixelated.

blank
02-22-2008, 09:49 AM
He he did some digging around and the file is called QuickEd.8BP found it in the extras on an old Photoshop 5.5 disk i have here,

I tried it in CS2 and it works, though only on Tiffs and ScitexCT and its layers support is not working properly though easy(ish) to work around. Oh the memories :-)

there must be a modern version of this somewhere, surely?

Anyway you said you have Vista running, have you tried disabling all the Aero interface as this saves a load of ram usage as a start too.

Bmoner
02-24-2008, 06:19 PM
People in '98 didn't have monitors with huge resolutions as a 22" wide monitors of today will work on, resolution counts a lot in performance.

Also no one works at 600 DPI that's overkill, 400 DPI will get you quite excellent printing results, 300 DPI if is just painted art will also print great, less than 300 DPI and it starts printing very pixelated.

I would so have to agree. The human eye cannot distinguish anything past 360dpi, so 600dpi is total overkill. I worked for a magazine/ printing company for a year and even with the huge prints that they would churn out they never went above 360dpi and the prints came out VERY clear with super smoother gradations and details.

I have noticed the same lagging performance though and I work in Xp x64. The problem is that PS caches everything you do, but isn't smart enough to release all of that info after you've closed out of an image. The only way I've found is to close PS out and then open it back up.

Hmm I think it's time for someone to write a cache release script :thumbsup:

ddeveloping
03-09-2008, 07:53 AM
CS3 had a bug that lagged when there was a networked printer. I had a similar problem and set the netowrked printer as a secondary printer and set my primary to a pdf print. It fixed the problem. Others have had similar issues.

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2008, 07:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.