PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 3D - innactpro - Angel of Life

innactpro
02-20-2008, 04:28 AM
As much fun as I had with this contest, I need to clean house a little. I have removed everything posted in this thread.

This is my gallery entry of the end result:
http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g46/34946/34946_1206244608_large.jpg (http://innactpro.cgsociety.org/gallery/612001/)

Thanks to all who commented. I appreciate it.

RayArtz
02-23-2008, 05:07 PM
WOW mein
got enough reference?
I think it is coming along nicely
and believe that once you decide to develop a Knee region your legs will seemingly grow at least that is what I found in some of my modeling cases.

MattR
02-24-2008, 07:01 AM
I know this sucks, but you should see the back. It is really jacked.

Man that line made me laugh... anyways keep working away... it's all any of us can do to improve. Good luck!

RayArtz
02-25-2008, 01:18 AM
Gotta respect the butter man.
Sheild holds a nice silhouette
any chance of going not so round on it?
say more surf board like with a hole through it or do you prefer the disc shape
either way I think your progress is coming along
but I wanna see some armor yo!

another thing though it doesn't show in your silhouette the pelvic region
i believe you are making the base for some armor or covering?
if so the front seems to be more extruded then the sides
could just be a perspective and lighting issue making me think this
any thoughts?

innactpro
02-25-2008, 02:03 AM
MattR:
Thanks for the encouragement.

RayArtz:
Your right, it is out there too far. While looking at it I also noticed, his but is big. So there are a couple of areas I need to work on. And yes, this is the base for the character over all as well as the armour, which is coming. "Patience, for the Jedi it is time to eat as well." As for the shield, nearly all of the classical greek references show round shields with few exceptions, so I think I'm sticking with round. I can't rule anything out though.

innactpro
02-27-2008, 03:42 PM
As much fun as I had with this contest, I need to clean house a little. I have removed everything posted in this thread.

http://innactpro.cgsociety.org/gallery/612001/

MarkDiokno
02-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Wow you blocked in that character really fast..I'm new to 3d so it will take me a bit to get my character blocked out....Keep up the good work :thumbsup:

innactpro
02-29-2008, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the compliment. I actually like cutting out the 2D concepting and get right to the 3D. I refer to it and 3D sketching. This method isn't the most useful when working with others, but on my own it can cut some time. I usually end up restarting models but it helps find less efficient ways of approaching the particular model(s).

MattR
03-04-2008, 02:02 AM
It's coming along innactpro, nice to see a concept. You might want to think of something a little more menacing then a white dove. I like the bird idea alot but maybe make him a little more dangerous or scarey. A raven? It would also incorporate some of the CGTalk colors of red and black.

innactpro
03-04-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah, concept art helps get the point across.

And you're right, the dove isn't very scary. The fact that a traditional icon of peace, hope and love is being used for malicious behavior, is a kind of duality I intended for this character. That the angel of death is always portrayed dark and gloomy, and in this concept the angel of life is his evil counterpart, I wanted some opposites of the traditional grim reaper look.

Furthermore, if I thought a had any chance of placing, I would take your suggestion and go back to the tablet, since I don't have a drawing board anymore, and try to create something a bit more intimidating. Thank you.

I liked the changes to your character by the way. I'll be visiting again and make a formal announcement on that.

innactpro
03-06-2008, 03:31 PM

RayArtz
03-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Looks promising
I am glad to see you choose your original idea for a sheild
its always good to take your instinct as you know your character best

also you've mentioned concern of modeling 'game' character
in case you didn't know you have delete any of the non-visible faces
of under the helmet and other locations that aren't visible
furthermore you can make the characters head essentially connect to the helmet
to make in one object
and will allow for easier seperation when doing your UV maps

at least that is how I roll in my work flow. I'm certain others have better ways.

hyperSasquatch
03-06-2008, 05:56 PM
aww you covered up his sweet metal underwear with that loin cloth.. hahaha

he looks cool , I like the gold trims.

what is his element ? the dove kinda reminds me of earth /nature.

I also like that silouete of him reaching out for the dove, the first one on the silouete page where it looks like a side shot. and it almost looks like he is kneeling

keep it up dude !

innactpro
03-06-2008, 10:52 PM
RayArtz:
He is all one piece. The armor and skin are all connected, and there are some polys hidden in the knee area and the helmet's face guard area. And some verts here and there that can be welded/merged.

hyperSasquatch:
He is Greek, and I thought the metal speedo might be too much:shrug:
His element is light/holy, but I'm still not sure exactly how I'm going to show that. Thank you for the compliments. You concept is amazing by the way.

hyperSasquatch
03-09-2008, 04:57 PM
dude its all about the god rays !,

If i were in your shoes I would use that first silouette with the bent knee (because its a symbol of respect which = holy ) , and have the dove in there because the dove works perfectly, then add some god rays.. beams of light shining either from the sky or from his chest. and then give the dove some swirly glowy light trails with pixie dust all over because really the dove is messenger of peace thats gonna kick ass if it has to..... or just pass a message on ?? hahaha

also you gotta pimp the bloom with a holy character, they have to be bathed in light.. so take a long look at shiny silver objects like goblets and challices.. (i have crappy spelling sry)

I would try working some of these ideas into your concept a bit more and you will be on your way to more holy..

perhaps the holy hand granade ?? hahaha what a classic..

keep er goin ! and thx for the comments, its good to hear ppl like my work.

innactpro
03-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Man, are you trying to kill me with all that extra work. The closer I get to getting finished and if I still have enough time I will certainly give these suggestions some thought. The Light will be easy enough to incorporate, but the, "swirly glowy light trails," would add to the poly count and the texture, and I'm just a bit too far along in the texturing to modify anything. Thanks for the suggestions.

MarkDiokno
03-12-2008, 01:14 AM
Looking good man!:thumbsup: I've fallen behind cause of my obligations at work...but this week I gotta haul some ass! LOL

innactpro
03-12-2008, 03:48 AM
Looking good man!

You're too kind. And though you've "fallen behind" you'll do alright. It seems you're way better at this than me. That's why I need to try and stay "ahead".

MarkDiokno
03-12-2008, 06:09 AM
I'm still a rookie too man!:sad: my 3d skills are still in the learning stage...but I'm glad we can refer to people on this site for help....there is sooo much great talent here I'm glad I joined this group to work with...I think we will both do well :thumbsup: I'm still trying to get used to this posting thing LOL I just dove into this with a Kamikaze charge LOL

darrenwhite
03-14-2008, 08:12 PM
looking good mate,

good luck, keep up all the hard work

innactpro
03-20-2008, 09:58 AM

RayArtz
03-20-2008, 01:07 PM
WHOOO
how does it feel to be done?
Your war is over son now go back home to your family and await further political insanity i.e. judging haha

I do like your pose. Its strong and personally I feel it says something about the character being passionate, the desire for life by resurrecting the fallen.
Your dove is quite nice too and I hate to say (but this is a good thing) is my favorite part of your image, the feather textures turned out nice and the lighting on him is nice too.

Speaking of textures, you said this was your first attempt at unwrapping and painting textures?
How did the process go for you? It appears it turned out quite well as I don't see any visible seams.

One thing though, I would recommend you label your texture sheets before you click "Submit final" unless you already have, I'm sure it'll be okay. But the causal observer wouldn't notice the difference between your two b/w texture sheets
Just a suggestion but hey!
YOU FINISHED! That in itself is a great accomplishment. I know I have finished mine over at Gameartisans.org, I wonder who else has joined our ranks of being done. haha

innactpro
03-20-2008, 03:29 PM
WHOOO
how does it feel to be done?It feels good to be finished. I can get some sleep now.

I do like your pose. Its strong and personally I feel it says something about the character being passionate, the desire for life by resurrecting the fallen.
Your dove is quite nice too and I hate to say (but this is a good thing) is my favorite part of your image, the feather textures turned out nice and the lighting on him is nice too.Thanks for the pose comments. And that you like the simplest part of the entry says I did it well enough to be noticed, thanks.

Speaking of textures, you said this was your first attempt at unwrapping and painting textures?
How did the process go for you? It appears it turned out quite well as I don't see any visible seams.Unwrapping in Blender is cake, just take a little time and think about where you want the seems. But if you don't like how the unwrap turns out, just rearrange your seems and unwrap again. So simple. I put the seems as behind something else as much as possible. There are plenty of hiding places in this model to facilitate this. After making any changes to the texture, just go into Blender's textures, reload the image and rerender to see how the changes look. Texture painting is a skill I will leave to others more interested in it. I read an article recently about procedural textures and this is what I've always used before and will continue to develop that skill. Procedurals along with Blenders new ability to work with vector images (.svg) provide resolution independent texturing which I think I prefer, more difficult and complicated though it is. If done well, I like the results better than raster textures. I need to do a little more research into it when I get time, but the article made it sound as though Pixar uses pretty much just procedurals. I find that a little hard to believe, but they have the resources to pull something like that off so, it may be so.

One thing though, I would recommend you label your texture sheets before you click "Submit final" unless you already have, I'm sure it'll be okay.Too late. I did look at some of the ga provided examples of previous dw entries and some were labeled while some weren't. I know I won't do well in this contest so I don't think it will hurt my chances.

MarkDiokno
03-21-2008, 06:04 AM
Good job bro..it looks good..and most importantly you reached your goal of finishing your entry:thumbsup: I'm still slaving away..I'll be posting pics hopefully this weekend of the block model..I keep getting hit with work so I've only been doing stuff here and there...hopefully this long weekend I can get more done... :) have a good Easter weekend bro

innactpro
03-21-2008, 07:17 AM
Good job bro..it looks good..You're too kind.

And thanks for the Easter wish. Though I am in Japan. It's not so big here.

I look forward to seeing some updates on yours as well. I'm jealous of your drawing skills.

MarkDiokno
03-22-2008, 03:55 AM
Considering we are both rookies in 3d...I would be happy just to get my model and textures done in time:eek: ..I still have to figure out how to do normal maps properly with Zbrush...so we'll see what happens LOL:shrug: ..you should be proud of your work dude its a complete model textures and all..and going through the process you learned a lot :thumbsup: and your next model will be even better cause you know the steps now..and so on as you keep doing more models.. oh yeah I forgot you're in Japan LOL I'd like to visit there one day..I hear its awesome out there..but just mega expensive for everything LOL..

Don't be jealous of my drawings dude its just practice..I see soo many great artists here and on the other sites and its really inspiring to try and work harder...I'm still learning to get better as well..I always find new books and websites to learn from...and my digital painting is not as refined as my sketches so I got to learn a lot about that too...its good to just keep learning new stuff you'll be a more complete artist that way too..I'd really like to do some actual clay sculptures as well..

well no sleep for me from now till this contest is done:eek: i better get back to work on this stuff... have a good one bro!:thumbsup:

digiboxoffice
03-22-2008, 03:21 PM
Very "Age of Empires" look... I'd recomend you to add something unusual to your character, because at the moment he looks like a typical Roman soldier.
And one more thing - you just won't see red on red - change the background.

Best of luck

innactpro
03-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Considering we are both rookies in 3d...I'm not exactly a rookie. I've been doing 3D for a few years now. My last employer was a city government and I worked in the video department. Government work however, at a small city level, doesn't exactly facilitate the stretching of ones creative muscles. There weren't many opportunities for character modeling. Lots of titles. I did get to do a simple model of downtown. That took a few days. I had done characters in school and a couple on my own, I'm just trying to get more into it now.

Yeah, Japan is cool. I'm not sure about the Canadian dollar, but the US dollar is weak against the Yen right now so visiting here from the states is expensive right now.

Keep reading those books. "Everything I ever needed to know I found in a book." - Honest Abe. I'm certain I'm, unintentionally, paraphrasing.

Get some sleep.

hyperSasquatch
03-23-2008, 06:13 AM
sweet dude ! you pulled it off nicely !
sorry if I overwhelmed you with ideas.. sometimes my brain explodes..

I like the outstretched hand, im glad you decided to go with that.

also the ribon band on his helmet piece looks cool, its got an elegant look to it.

glad to see you finnished.

innactpro
03-23-2008, 07:37 AM
sweet dude ! you pulled it off nicely !
sorry if I overwhelmed you with ideas.. sometimes my brain explodes..

I like the outstretched hand, im glad you decided to go with that.

also the ribon band on his helmet piece looks cool, its got an elegant look to it.

glad to see you finnished.Thanks. Appreciation at all of this entry is terribly significant to me.

Considering the detail you've put into you character, this pales.

MarkDiokno
03-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Thats awesome dude..at least you have experiece already and are getting paid to do 3d...I think 3d is a more stable career..I'm only working as an illustrator right now..which is ok..but a lot of the jobs I see are for 3d artists these days so I'm trying to make a transition... I'd love to get some work doing 3d..I'll definately need to do a lot more reading LOL:eek:

I like that quote LOL cause its very true...thanks for adding me to your network dude...ok I better get back to work now..I took most of yesterday and today off to spend time with family and doing some illustration work.... I'll update my stuff this week so I'll keep ya posted on whats new

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2008, 09:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.