PDA

View Full Version : New: LW 2 XSI migration

Julez4001
04-17-2002, 10:47 AM
First to all who just reading this, there is an older thread if you scroll down the thread list that may answer other questions.

new (to anyone nowledgeable)

How do you measure your objects

How do you hide and unhide your objects and is there a shaded mode to see the hidden object for reference.

** Layers handle this but whats the hot key for it.

Knife tool

Drag (m move key is the equilivant)

Statistical info on poly count and point/quad/tri

bandsaw or splitting a row of polys along a row of polys

The Pivot button to move the pivot of a object.

[msf]
04-18-2002, 04:34 AM
Hey there julez I dont have any answers to your questions but I am sure I will at some point. Just started exploring softimage 2.0.1. Being a lightwave user for the past couple years its wierd at first but I feel like I have some new huge degree of control with this program.

meloncully
04-18-2002, 06:24 AM
i have two answers.

move is : v the mouse buttons corresond to the different axis.
rotate is: c same as above
scale is : x same as above

to do a bandsaw like thing you select edges and i think subdivide or shift+d. I don't think there is a connect, there might be. When you are in the different modes ie edge, face. if you rightclick on the edge that is selected or object there will be a menu that comes up with all the commands that can be done to that face or edge.

Atyss
04-18-2002, 09:04 PM
Bonjour Julez,

I don't have XSI in front of me right now but I will try to give you informations to the best of my knowledge :-)

@@@@
How do you measure your objects
@@@@

Select the object and do MCP > Edit > Info Selection
The info selection contains lot of informations, altough I'm not sure it contains the measurements.

@@@@
How do you hide and unhide your objects and is there a shaded mode to see the hidden object for reference.
@@@@

Select the objects you want to hide hit H to hide, and H again to unhide. There are other alternatives, like layers, but also passes and partitions. I suggest you read those in the docs.

As for the shading thing, click on the Camera icon on the viewport's top bar and choose Display Options. You have a check box entitled Enable X-ray shading. This will make objects semi-transparent in shaded mode.

@@@@
Knife tool
@@@@

I'm not sure what is it exactly. If it's like cutting polygons freely with a drag (a la Adobe Illustrator), there is no such tool.

@@@@
Statistical info on poly count and point/quad/tri
@@@@

Again, you can select the object and do MCP > Edit > Info Selection. However, on top of each viewport you have an eye icon. Click on this and choose Visibility Options. You have tabs (like Visual Cues and others at the right) that allow you to display the polygon count in the viewport for the scene and the selected objects. Sorry if I can't be more precise, like I said I don't have XSI in front of me.

@@@@
bandsaw or splitting a row of polys along a row of polys
@@@@

Ok here select the edge you want to split, right-click and choose Subdivide (with Split Control). This will split the edge and bring up an operator property page where you can fine-tune the split. There you have edge loop options.

@@@@
The Pivot button to move the pivot of a object.
@@@@

This is the Center mode, you can find it on the MCP near the big arrow.

Hope this helps
Salutations - Cheers
Bernard Lebel

Julez4001
04-19-2002, 09:57 AM
THANKS man.
Glad to know to have a friend in the business

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.