PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 2D - Bluefley - WIP

Bluefley
02-19-2008, 11:55 PM
Final Concept:

Type: Invoker
Artifact: Mask - rock/earth type

How this works?

She normally wears the mask on her face, she controls the earth element so she can modify her surroundings at will, raise spikes of rock, create massive earthquakes, skulpt any rock into a deadly weapon, etc.

When the battlefield becomes a little to messy for her barefeet, she takes her mask off, throw it wherever, and a giant rock summon come out of the ground where the mask fell. It then deforms into a bigger mask to fit the Invokers mount's face. She uses this minion to destroy the enemies, on which it feeds, and as a higher ground to better anihilate them with her invoking spells. At the same time, it keeps her out of harm's reach.

Pure genius.

(:

Alright, here is a color test for the final image, and the ortho sheet with the main character, Syu, done. All that's left now is the tiny rock pet. Crits and comments welcome!

newest on top:

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08152/dw3final4forum404.jpg

http://xs126.xs.to/xs126/08144/dw3finalorthotest234.jpg

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08144/dw3finalcolortest542.jpg

http://xs125.xs.to/xs125/08141/dw3finalsketch405.jpg

Slythis
02-20-2008, 12:01 AM
totally awesome, i love the concept so far as well!

OKMER
02-20-2008, 12:06 AM
YEssai!NIce sketches, and cool background story!!!Keep m coming :P.
Cheers!

Pixelbear
02-20-2008, 01:38 AM
Looks solid mate :)

Art2
02-20-2008, 07:28 AM
cgsociety represent!!

Word.

Very cool concept.

Bluefley
02-20-2008, 07:51 AM
thanks guys, more coming at lunch break today!!

TheBloodyAlien
02-20-2008, 08:24 AM
bookmarked:)

KP
02-20-2008, 08:47 AM
I like the idea of the skulls, this should be a fun one to watch.

fellah
02-20-2008, 09:30 AM
nice concept! love the colors you use(looked at ur portfolio as well)

if those 2 artifacts dies she might need something sharp to protect herself with? guess it's to early to give suggestions like that though.. so I'll be following.

have fun!

Rezeroth
02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
I like your technique...nice nice.. Keep the cool stuff comin!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My DW (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=597980)
My Deviantart (http://numioh.deviantart.com/)

Loukor
02-20-2008, 11:39 AM
Awesome! I will be watching your character develop, looking forward to more updates. Cheers

jramauri
02-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Great idea and design. I'll be watching this thread, Keep it up.

Hideyoshi
02-20-2008, 12:30 PM
great! This is one contest made for you! :)

Gune
02-20-2008, 01:02 PM
really interesting... like your first concept!

Jimmith
02-20-2008, 01:55 PM
Quite simply beautiful! Sounds and looks like a really good concept :)

bradjames
02-20-2008, 02:36 PM
nice concept for sure...Looking forward to the progress

aeonseraph
02-20-2008, 04:26 PM
as always cool concepts from you! :) i'll keep an eye on this thread. Wish you luck! :thumbsup:

inneractive
02-20-2008, 05:05 PM
That is a great sounding character concept, I like it.

StuntMan
02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Great concept so far, she's very appealing and unique. All the Best ;)

Bluefley
02-20-2008, 05:55 PM
some more lunch break doodles! trying to find a shape that looks powerfull, while still beeing feminine. Now I guess she could be a lil over 10ft tall? Next step is to include her minions in there, making them at least double her height, more to come soon!

http://xs124.xs.to/xs124/08083/dw3_2nd_pass_copy790.jpg

Matellis
02-20-2008, 06:07 PM
Sick concepts! no crits , great stuff :D

chihiroko
02-20-2008, 10:33 PM
my favorite concept so far!! wait to see more!:bounce:

Kajfa
02-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I realy like your stile. Great pen work and design. I will bookmark your thread. Keep up with the great work.

erik_j
02-20-2008, 11:35 PM
wow great concept drawing! really like the character! and artifact idea!
about the second sketch, did those proportions get out of hand or is she supposed to have those big legs?
looks kind of odd.. if she's supposed to have very long legs, perhaps make them thin and two-kneed (even though two-kneed legs are a bit common maybe :07).
in any case thing with one-kneed legs seems like you need the upper body to weigh you forward in order for the movement not to throw you off balance backwards so such a small upperbody.. and then wings as airresistance (if she runs at all when she can fly :P).. so if she flies the legs might seem a bit impractical aswell with their weight...
that vague sketch of one of the minions looks great!
great hopes for this entry! :)

Lukavi
02-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Very nice starting point, looking forward to seeing where you go with this. I really like your painting style on your other work.

syncmax
02-21-2008, 03:02 AM
it's good to see ur WIP work of DMIII...like always, ur design is great. really thanks for ur post in deviantart.com of the news of this DMIII competition. without it i wouldn't know theres a great competition going on =)

i agree with erik_j... the long leg seems not really suited to the figure. it makes the whole body structure look unbalance. maybe u can add a bigger armor for the upper torse? just a suggestion.. anyway keep the great work!

REKLAS
02-21-2008, 03:47 AM
Really sweet concepts so far. Can't wait to see the progression of your character and her minions.

Airflow
02-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Neat, it great to see someone brave enough to do a female in this comp. I think to make her more imposin, you make her head smaller, enhance the back more, I still like her pixie face even though you can make her more powerful bodily. How about a thin tricle of lavea that connects her to her minions. Kinda like its melted the ground, or erupted from it, she leaves lava prints when she walks, that kinda thing.

yahyaehsan
02-21-2008, 09:27 AM
one word so far; neat

Bluefley
02-21-2008, 06:40 PM
more lunch break sketches! woo

this time, worked on the minions designs. Still just a rough shape, nothing too detailed, and i'm still trying to figure out a way to incorporate the artifact on each of them, might do something else than a skull. One is more of the rock type, the other is more tree-like. Also fixed the invoker's proportion, Im satisfied with how it is right now, only thing left is to define a solid design for her outfit/armour!

crits and comments always welcome!

http://xs124.xs.to/xs124/08084/dwiii-minions517.jpg

Art2
02-21-2008, 07:07 PM
cool shapes!

Maybe use different body types for the minions.
The tree-like guy could be more slender, Treebeard style.

AlexNovo
02-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Amazing stuff!! Nice character and strong concept!

Soggyclog
02-21-2008, 07:56 PM
I'm really liking this...

erik_j
02-21-2008, 08:32 PM
stone guy body shape a bit uninteresting (great middetail shapes though) and head.
looking great!

Bluefley
02-21-2008, 09:39 PM
thanks for your feedback guys, I kinda wanted to have the 2 similar in shape, different in finish, but I agree the rock one is a lil simple in shape, I'll make some changes (:

I guess he should be leaning foward like the other one, in a more "submissive" pose behind his master. I also wanted to give them so sort of armour/outfit, so once colored its not entirely rock or wood.

oh well, back to the drawing board!

jocz
02-21-2008, 09:52 PM
Your drawings are beautifuls, but my preference goes to the first one you posted.
Nothing to say for the creatures, some work to do on it for sure, but really nice concept !

phoenix1
02-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Great stuff Bluefley you have here :thumbsup:

love the concept... love the idea and your wip

keep it up

cheers!

Bluefley
02-22-2008, 02:04 AM
After work doodles! Jeez two posts today, I'm spamming the shit outta this thread!

Alright, alternate concept, more metal...dunno which I prefer, guess I'll sleep on it. You guys tell me what you think!

cheers

http://xs124.xs.to/xs124/08085/dwiii-altenate_concept396.jpg

KP
02-22-2008, 04:37 AM
Hey Bluefley,
You got a good concept going on here, I like the idea of the two minions. Three characters is a lot to tackle but I just realized your doing for the concept challenge so that is a bit different haha. I got two Im trying to work out and Im doing 3D. I might go back and revise that haha. But anyway, I wanted to say I liked the clothing design for your character in the original two drawings, it seemed more earthy and natural which fits with her beasts. Just my two cents. Cant wait to see how it turns out :D

XTitan
02-22-2008, 04:39 AM
Sweet work Marc/Bluefly :) I really like the style. The two characters have a nice dynamic, keep it up :thumbsup:

PS i prefer the most recent image

thejaybird
02-22-2008, 04:48 AM
Ive always liked the rock creatures. You better hope your enemy doesn't throw paper. HAHA get it?...paper beats rock.......you see how I............no..............im sorry.

Keep workin' it man. keep us posted.

AlexNovo
02-22-2008, 04:55 AM
Last sketch super! Well, will be watching for your updates each day:)

Art2
02-22-2008, 08:33 AM
BlueFly, maybe you might reconsider your concepts.

Here are the rules again:
Your character must wield a single artifact or a pair of similar artifacts (two scimitars, two daggers etc). Artifacts must possess one of these following magical energy types (no combinations)

Seems like you have Earth/Rock and Vegetation (tree dude)

Now I'm not sure if it's allowed to make the two creatures different looking...
Maybe you should check with the admins?

I love the small piece of lace sticking out of her breastplate :drool:
You should keep that no matter what concept you're going for :D

erik_j
02-22-2008, 08:56 AM
looks really great! I have no critique now :V7 take a look at ref photos in my thread if you need more inspiration for nice brown, black and gray nature colours :)

Bluefley
02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
art2: totally agree, thanks for putting me back on track :P I guess she'll have 2 rock summons then!

For the artifact, instead of skulls, I'll have her wear two pieces of armour shaped in the form of masks, that she could actually take off and have them turn into her servants. She would throw the masks on the ground and the rock golems would grow from there, as if they were emmerging from under the ground. She could also summon a single one, putting the mask right in front of her on the soil, and the creature would grow from under her feet raising her higher as it grows and actually turn into a mount.

The other one would be more like the offensive type of minion and would be used as the main weapon in battle, while she'd be modeling the ground into spikes with her magic to shoot at her tagets.

Imagine a game using those mechanics, with lvling for her and her summons/spells etc! could be a pretty cool RPG (:

This is pretty much my final concept, I'm really happy with this idea so the only thing left is to turn this into drawings! More to come soon!

tell me what you think!

mestizo
02-22-2008, 05:01 PM
Really pretty stuff... The main character and the summoned beast go really well with each other. I digg it.

erik_j
02-22-2008, 09:35 PM
those ideas sound fitting! :) I could wish for an 80ies anime heroine transformation animation for the spawn to mount hting hehe :P
the spike from ground - isn't it coolest attack type ever btw? :D I'm fantasising about it for my char aswell.. and Ivy is most fun 3D fighting character b/c of those attacks :>
character strutting past "should draw weapon" line and personally ignoring enemies while spikes take care of stuff x¨D make a cool drawing of your idea with that attack! :D I wanna see it. (hehe what a fanboy-oriented feedback)

NinjaA55N
02-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Love the last one! The gentle female pose, with that interesting costume on it and the raw power monster beside her. Your doodles are so fresh and clean. Cant wait for more :) good luck!

StacyOgie
02-23-2008, 11:11 PM
The dynamic between the female character and the rock dude is awesome. Please keep us updated:)

SashaP
02-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Excellent and gorgeous armor design! I adore how she looks and her summon

BluntPencil
02-23-2008, 11:22 PM
I prefer the latest look you got going for her with the animal mask/helmet. And the summons look lovely as well.

Bluefley
02-24-2008, 08:53 PM
thanks for the amazing feedback guys, I'll prolly go for an hybrid between my 2 concepts then, probably keep the helmet/shoudlers shape, same proportions, keep that cloth/dress kinda thing coming out of her breast plate, and make her look more organic.

Erik: totally see what you mean there, definitely gonna ketch something like that (: thanks mate

glad I posted here, all those comments helped me fix my concept, a few more sketches coming tonight then the real thing, stay tuned!
pcee!

-marc

Loukor
02-24-2008, 08:58 PM
You have such a amazing concept and design, and it's only the beginning too. I will constantly check your thread for more updates, Goodluck! Cheers.

chihiroko
02-25-2008, 07:42 PM
wow...I love your conecpt of rock type character! better than the very bigining one! it's a very cool idea to give her one rock minion. I love the composition of the last sketch!
are you ganna use the minion as her weapon or she is going to carry something else?

Bluefley
02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
http://xs124.xs.to/xs124/08092/dwiii-mount_final_concept610.jpg

Next on the list, the attack type! The right shoulderpad artifact!

Probably tomorrow!

crits always most welcome!

SashaP
02-25-2008, 11:31 PM
WOW Increbile summon and character!

KP
02-25-2008, 11:52 PM
I like the summoned beast you settled with. I know this isnt your final piece, but his face seems out of perspective to the horns on his head. This is me trying to leave a constructive crit haha.

OKMER
02-26-2008, 12:13 AM
Just amazing!Love your indeed so clean and dreamy sketches!
Indeed the horns seems to be a tiny little bit out of perspectiv compared to the head, but tiny little minor detail!
Kick ass, thats what it is!
Keep coming the amazing work man!Warrrr!!!

Slythis
02-26-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm in awe, this is gonna be one kick ass character.

sakanagih
02-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Just amazing!!! I am anxious to see the final image.
:)

towarlock
02-28-2008, 05:11 AM
very good work :]

System404
02-28-2008, 06:02 AM
Great concepts, can't wait to see more!

blindsyte
02-28-2008, 06:20 AM
lol this is the guy who did your forbidden art... i'm sure glad i don't have to compete against you in 2d. i'm doing 3d... GOOD LUCK Your concept rocks my socks!!
All I would says is does she have anything to protect her from the all metal machines, besides her super awesome pet... does she hide in a crack or does he cover her?

he kind of reminds me of the rocky counterpart of DOG from half life!

RaresH
03-09-2008, 05:37 PM
Looks cool overal. I like your armor as artifact idea. At first I thought her armor would keep her less mobile. I think you should explore the contrast between the heavy and hard forms of the summon creature and the soft sublte features of the female character. In other words try some concepts that doesn't have her so heavely armored and unwieldy. The armor as artifact idea could work well with that concept. Good Luck :D.

alexrhino
03-09-2008, 07:53 PM
Great;) Cool idea and cool monsters)

chihiroko
03-11-2008, 07:22 PM
waitting to see more^^

tokaru
03-13-2008, 10:43 PM
good luck man this concept is awesome.

kinonato
03-14-2008, 09:57 AM
You hav got someting that I have to keep track here. :P

Bluefley
03-31-2008, 05:38 PM
hi guys, been a freaking while I know, been really busy with work and other shizzle.

this is the sketch for my final image, I'll update this when i've started coloring. Next update are the 6 sketches for my 2 characters. Concept kinda changed due to time limit, it'll only be the invoker and her mount, her mask beeing the artifact, transforming into the monster. It'll all make sense when you see the drawings! :P

http://xs125.xs.to/xs125/08141/dw3finalsketch405.jpg

chihiroko
04-01-2008, 05:38 PM
good job!! finally see some progress of your work! wish you the best!

I may not able to finsh my own on time coz I am getting busy recently too, and get a flu at the same time......so tired....

Bluefley
04-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Final Concept:

Type: Invoker
Artifact: Mask - rock/earth type

How this works?

She normally wears the mask on her face, she controls the earth element so she can modify her surroundings at will, raise spikes of rock, create massive earthquakes, skulpt any rock into a deadly weapon, etc.

When the battlefield becomes a little to messy for her barefeet, she takes her mask off, throw it wherever, and a giant rock summon come out of the ground where the mask fell. It then deforms into a bigger mask to fit the Invokers mount's face. She uses this minion to destroy the enemies, on which it feeds, and as a higher ground to better anihilate them with her invoking spells. At the same time, it keeps her out of harm's reach.

Pure genius.

(:

Alright, here is a color test for the final image, and the ortho sheet with the main character, Syu, done. All that's left now is the tiny rock pet. Crits and comments welcome!

http://xs126.xs.to/xs126/08144/dw3finalorthotest234.jpg

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08144/dw3finalcolortest542.jpg

kinonato
04-03-2008, 05:52 AM
This is really nice work, keep going! I think ur character n mine have something in similiar.

walrus
04-03-2008, 07:56 AM
Looking really nice, Bluefley. The winning pose looks terrific (and unmistakeable yours!) Love that dramatic upshot. The model sheet looks nice too so far - I like how you've put all the texture on the outside and left the character shots as negative space, at least in the side and front view. You called that sheet "done" but I have to say it doesn;t look quite finished. I find it a little confusing that the front view is shaded while the side and back aren't. They should all be the same, although shaded in or left clean and flat, eitehr one wroks. Whatever you choose, it might be nice to use the same approach on the artifact shots in the upper right. And what about the bottom fo the page - it's really empty. Did you have plans for what else you wanted to put there?

Anyhow, lovely work, good luck finishing it all off!

erik_j
04-03-2008, 01:49 PM
looks great! I think you should do some quick at-the-side thumbnailing for tweaking that composition to find the best cropping as it seems a bit centered and boxed in with the cropping and compo now.. it's a bit narrow in width and she doesn't feel like a natural focal point with the compo.
btw is he climbing/crawling over a ledge with a lower terrain in the background? didn't catch that at first but looks like that's your idea when I look again. in case not I vote for that :)

Hideyoshi
04-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Great update! Everything's looking neat! Looking forward to the final!
I love the whole concept of your character, the rock summoning thing with the mask, very slick ideas! :)
One thing is bugging me though:
I know that on the website it says the file shouldn't be larger than 1000x1000 but do you think it means we need to create a square image? (because that would suck)
I see you have that ugly unused space on your ortho view sheet...
I rather think they mean it shouldn't exceed 1000px on either width or height.

Bluefley
04-03-2008, 09:32 PM
walrus: Thanks man, indeed, I started shading the other views of the characters to make it more congruent with the rest, also, the empty space on the ortho sheet is for the beast, havent done it yet so there's nothing for now :P But they will both be on the same sheet, along with the harness.

erik: yes the beast was crawling up some sort of cliff or something, that was my intention. Also, thanks for making me realize, I took a look at the rules again and for some reason I thought the final image had to be 1000 by 1000px, I missed the "no larger than" bit!

I'll crop it for sure, make it narrower and try to center her a little more in the frame.

Hideyoshi: Thanks a bunch bro, after erik mentioned it I checked it out and you're right, I thought it had to be 1000x1000 at first. Holy butt of batman was I wrong! This'll make things a lot more fun, wont have to work with a fixed canvas!

anyways, again, thanks guys, more coming soon!

Ivan0129
04-06-2008, 04:50 PM
nice concept!

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5018997#post5018997

Bluefley
04-08-2008, 03:13 AM
more progress on the final image!

Still not sure what I'll add in front of the monster, was thinking of a corpse impaled by a rock spike or something...

5 days left, woosh this is gonna be tight! Tell me what you think!

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08152/dw3final4forum404.jpg

erik_j
04-08-2008, 03:22 PM
omgz I love the new colours! :D and the compo has improved yet I think you only went halfway, or in some way atleast it still feels a bit overcropped.. packaged in..

I think if he were on a landscape figure level scale those background rock spires would frame him in more naturally but given her presence I think it looks a bit too convenient and compo-wise border-art:ish.. eh no.. or cockpit-view x-wing cannong fire.. ehh.. no.. well..

the 'grandeur' isn't there... the motif has lots of greatness but the whole perspective doesn't do it justice :/ extend it towards 4:3 and give another focal point on ground to left like a corpse as you suggested or something?

it all looks so great but the phoomf doesn't spread out :/ like the sound of a grand explosion in mono in a space movies sfx.. :P

sorry I talk in circles :)

I would try rethinking the arching rock spires.. move them along with left border of cropping? expand a bit.. and the duo is compo-wise producing a direction toward left so..

must say again it looks stunning in the aspects appart from composition :)

oh.. and one possibly painful tweak. she does look a bit sprite:ish on his back. isn't her mount supposed to have an above feel to the viewer?
perhaps you need her to look more viewed from below? she's very flatly sort of would be leaning forward to face screen like a sprite?
her angle really clashes with the rock spires.. they say frogview and she seems to want to suggest the same but feels more from front..
I think you could tweak it a wee bit and just move around the detailed areas like head etc to make more shortening (or what's it called?) due to perspective and give more angle to the view of her. her gesture is definately imposing but it's a bit like a knight on a pony feel from her portrayed angle :)

sorry for scribbly c&c :) best of luck!

ps: oh btw hope you will be able to move some dark corners in there to increase contrast ahead on work phase.. a bit more drama... will also help it to look more intimidating than now.. a bit like a ghost unscarily in daylight now.. I love the lighting but perhaps it needs a bit more of a counterbalance albeit without dramatically changing the great warm feel of it's qualities already there :) not that I think the scene should be all differently lighted.. but areas like his face and belly might bear more contrast.. more scary darks in those areas while also giving contrast?.. maybe..

you probably planned half of this anyway but better spam than sorry :)

CENOBITE
04-09-2008, 06:54 AM
My brain tends to like the left to right version you had before rather than the right to left.

>.<

Zoey Freak
04-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Wow amazing! Love the concept, style, color scheme… Everything… You’ve left me speechless…

JacqueChoi
04-09-2008, 01:37 PM
Hey sick boy!

The second colour pass is MUCH nicer.

I think you need some of the cooler sky tones from the upper right, used sparringly towards the bottom of the composition to help draw your eye to those areas.

:P

jingudyi
04-12-2008, 09:46 AM
wow..i love jap anime style~

great job!

erik_j
04-12-2008, 10:02 AM
how are you doing? going to finish it tonight? :V

Hideyoshi
04-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Finish, finish, finish!!
It would be a shame if you won't make it!

Bluefley
04-13-2008, 04:11 AM
wooooosh that was tight, pressed the submit button at 23h58! Made it!

From here on out, its fingers crossed!

Tell me what you think (:

Here's the finished thing:

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08150/dw3-sketch405.jpg

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08150/dw3-rotation836.jpg

http://xs226.xs.to/xs226/08150/dw3-final_copy335.jpg

JacqueChoi
04-13-2008, 04:19 AM
Way too cool.

Lets get drunk.

:P

AlexNovo
04-13-2008, 02:36 PM
My congrats man! You did powerfull work, finall illustration just great!

erik_j
04-13-2008, 04:42 PM
zomg, like james bond rolling under shutting blast door even!
great finish! :) good luck!!

nathanmckenna
04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
one of my favourites

REKLAS
04-14-2008, 10:13 AM
Your final shot is sweet. One question though, is there a reason why you chose to flip the logo horizontally?

sakanagih
04-14-2008, 12:18 PM
I loved your character! :love:Its my Preferred in the 2D part of DWIII.
Beautiful image. =)

CGTalk Moderation
04-14-2008, 12:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.