PDA

View Full Version : XSI and Massive

mrquiros1980
02-19-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi there. I have access to Massive Jet (the "light" version of Massive Prime) and some of the libraries (mayhem, ambient and stadium) and just wanted to know if there is any way to export the simulation (baking geometry or so) to a format that could be imported into an XSI scene. I do Arch viz and this could be very usefull for populating and animating people on virtual tours.

Thanks!

oktawu
02-19-2008, 12:03 PM
u dont really export out of massive (thats the point of the software..no 3d tool would handle that amount of data).
the way u do this, is import the camera data, and collision geometry from xsi, render the crowd pass in massive (via mray or renderman) , then render the geometry pass in xsi, and comp them.

ThE_JacO
02-19-2008, 12:30 PM
The intended output for massive is renderable files, and the intended channels are RIB and MI files. It's not really meant to send geometry data back to XSI or Maya. The only thing is that at one point there was talk of being able to generate mocap data of it to send it back to apps, so that it could be used as a base to refine some hero toons from. I don't know if it made it to the software yet.

mrquiros1980
02-19-2008, 12:39 PM
So lets say i want to add some agents to an archviz project. I have all my scene ready to render except for the agents, so i export to .xsi, import it to massive and add my agents, run the sim to generate the .mi and then I can render the whole scene from MR command line, isnt it? As massive 3 has not FG nor GI option, I think I could add it to the MR command line as option, is it ok? Anyway i'll try it and tell you something :) Thanks guys for the help

ThE_JacO
02-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Yes, you can hack an MI file to set it up whichever way you want.
You can output an MI for an empty scene in XSI with whatever rendering settings you need, and a few lights, and after a fairly flat learning curve, know enough to merge it with the one containing actors from massive.

mrquiros1980
02-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Hi again. I've tried to render with MR but I dont know how to set up the shader paths. It doesnt generate any .mi file and I dont know where do i have to point it to use MR. Any clue about that and merging the .mi as you said? I have had a look to the MR manual in XSI but didnt find anything about merging scenes or any related command.Thanks

ThE_JacO
02-19-2008, 03:00 PM
rendering MI files requires a standalone Mental Ray license, do you have one? It doesn't come for free with any application using MRay as their rendering engine, it's a separate purchase.

mrquiros1980
02-24-2008, 07:08 PM
u dont really export out of massive (thats the point of the software..no 3d tool would handle that amount of data).
the way u do this, is import the camera data, and collision geometry from xsi, render the crowd pass in massive (via mray or renderman) , then render the geometry pass in xsi, and comp them.

Mmm, If i have to render the crowd in massive, i'll have to import the full geometry of my scene to act as matte. i have been lookign for info about xsi and massive workflow but nothing about that. no way to import cameras/light from .xsi or .fbx . I think the only way to get a workflow woudl be through Maya ascii (it looks like you can import cameras an dlighs using this way) but the trouble comes again to the mental ray render engine with no FG or GI options and we cant afford a renderman/mr standalone license to render the generated .rib or .mi . Do you know the workflow using maya? I think that exporting from XSI to Maya to use MR will preserve the options (anyway, i think the MR rendering options in maya will like like XSI ones...) Thanks a lot and sorry for been so disturbing but this can be very useful at work for some commercials we are going to do and also for our arch viz works.

jasonio
02-25-2008, 01:51 PM
XSI Advanced already has crowd simulation doesn't it? Behaviour, its called. Surely using that would save you trying to figure out all these technical problems. Its not like the behaviours for Archviz need to be anything more complicated than "walk > don't bump into something". Isn't using Massive a bit "overkill"?

On a side note, what software/company are you using to generate the character models? (This crowd sim thing is something I considered for Archviz years ago but I could never find any decent human models - like a few 100 completely different lifelike ones...)

mrquiros1980
02-25-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi. I know about Behavior but I just wanted to use Massive because I have the actor libraries so i dont have to "loose time" making all the actor behaviours and reactions (programming them) nor making the rigs and animation and (i dont know if this is possible with behavior) also in massive i can do random combination of the actors geometry (differente heads, height, textures) very easily. That's the "only" reason ;) . For arch viz ppl, I use AXYZ for people at mid-long range.

I dont know about any behavior library with actors or something like that, so if you (or anyone!) now something about that please let me know :)

Thanks!

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2008, 02:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.