PDA

View Full Version : zoom to selection?

leigh
02-19-2008, 08:44 AM
Is there a way to quickly zoom into a selection in Photoshop? I can't seem to find a way to do this. Basically, I'd like an equivalent of framing a selection in Maya - in other words, making a selection, and hitting a single key to instantly zoom into that selection.

frog
02-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Hold down Ctrl + Space to temporarily activate the zoom tool, then drag a marquee around the area you want to zoom in to.

leigh
02-19-2008, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the reply. I already know how to do that though. I am particularly looking for a way to zoom to a selected group of pixels, that I have already selected.

mattclinch
02-19-2008, 12:32 PM
i dont think so. even illustrator requires a plugin (http://mac.wareseeker.com/Utilities/zoom-to-selection-1.0.zip/320565)

you might try asking one of the coders over at www.ps-scripts.com and get a script bound to a key?

bobzilla
02-19-2008, 05:38 PM
You could use the Navigator palette. Don't know if it's any quicker than other methods.

Click once on the "mountain range" icon on the palaette. Then, postion the red square over the area you want and use the slider to zoom in with the slider, punch in a number (next to the slider), or keep clicking the "mountain range."

leigh
02-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I am going to have to try organising a script for this.

Bobzilla, I'm after more of a one click solution. I really hate using the Navigator window because I find it really tedious :argh:

mykhel
03-13-2008, 11:23 AM
With the zoom tool selected hold down shift, draw a "marquee" around the area you want to zoom to.

leigh
03-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the reply, but you've misunderstood what it is that I am after. Unfortunately not even through scripting is this possible, due to the way Photoshop functions.

Bah.

mocaw
03-13-2008, 05:08 PM
While I use the adobe suite (is there much else?) I find it really irritating that some things like this don't carry over between the different applications. Indesign has some of the best tools in this regard- yet why is it the one with the nice auto lock-zooming etc?

Maybe because it's the newest application in the suite? Regardless I'd love that script once you've made it- and now I'm off to download the one for Illustrator!

BTW- I understand what you want- It's in just about every 3D app...but not in a lot of 2D apps like the "f" key in XSI- in fact I think XSI has two ways to do it and get slightly different results, but I can't recall the other. There are a lot of basic 3D tools I wish PS and esp Illustrator had- like better deformation of objects/images along a path/spline! That would be ridiculously useful! I don't know how many times I've just wanted to deform a simple object in Illustrator via a path...but ended up either half assing it with the lame Illustrator deformation tools or by a stupid combination of custom brushes and other madness. God, just working with paths in general and the serious lack of spline and point tools is frustrating...

The company that integrates some of these ideas into a vector and 2D app of PS or Illustrators level will defenatly have my dollar (what ever they are worth any more).

I know you're smart enough to already know these keys, but I use ctl-+ and - along with the space bar and ctl-0 (zero no "oh") quite a bit. Not what you're looking for by any means, and I'm sure you already know those keys...just thought I'd put them out there though...

3dj
03-14-2008, 01:55 AM
I find i want many features from 3d apps incorporated into 2d apps (selection tools, rounding of points etc.). I have explained some of them to friends, alot don't get it, i think it is because you have to have a mindset for 3d to get your head around the concepts.

-Jim

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2008, 01:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.