PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 3D - Tamas Varga - Warlord

Laa-Yosh
02-18-2008, 11:57 PM
Here goes nothing... I haven't done any personal stuff in a looong time and it's been driving me crazy. Then I've seen the announcement that DWIII is coming, and I've got our normal mapping pipeline figured out for a while now for some contract jobs, so I thought... "I could do this" ;)

Now I'm not a concept artist and I won't even try to pretend to be one, so I'm not going to bring any super extravagant ideas. A Warlord sounds simple enough to me - guy with some very magical weapon, or maybe some other kind of artifact.
So I've started sketching (yay! something else I feel a newbie at :) and I think I already have a few favorites so I'm going to continue with those during the week. I'll come up with the character background as the concept develops, as the two will go pretty much together.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=123817

kary
02-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Nice to see you doing this Tamas it has been a long time since I've seen you do personal stuff (Spiraloidish? :)).

The bottom right most and the one to the upperleft of him both fit a very classic warlord figure to me. The asymmetrical shoulder pad and very classic hero look (huge upper body etc) make for a very nice silhouette in #9 (counting from the upper left). A really huge 2 handed hammer might fit better then the sword though.

Look forward to seeing what you do :)

kobi
02-19-2008, 01:28 AM
nice start:thumbsup: I like #12 :buttrock:

Laa-Yosh
02-19-2008, 07:22 PM
Yeah, and how long has it been since Spiraloid...

Anyway, you guys have picked the ones I like the most as well, so I'm gonna do more detailed concepts, we'll see how they turn out to be. Although I've decided to replace the sword with a giant mace - a quick look suggests that most people go for hammers, and I prefer a bladed weapon for that character.

collings
02-20-2008, 03:34 PM
yeah It's awesome to see you in this competition.
I was also waiting to see some new personal 3d stuff from you for a long time :) .

Those thumbnails are my favorite too, looking forward to see some more advance concept sketches !

fellah
02-20-2008, 07:29 PM
i recognise myself in what u wrote.. nothing beats doing personal stuff after a long period of work.. all that new knowledge and imagination unleashed and then, finally.. you stop :D (in my case that is..)
the thumbs are not bad at all. they all got interesting silhouettes. looking forward to follow this thread, have fun!

bzsolt
02-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Hello Tamás!
I'm happy because I fight on your side :)
I like the #12 too :thumbsup:

Laa-Yosh
02-27-2008, 12:47 AM
I've been trying some sketches for #9, but couldn't really break away of the Warhammer-like armored huge warrior stuff. I've decided to abandon this one and concentrate on the last approach, the lower right one - I've liked it better anyway ;)

Did some sketching for this one too (only on paper so far), the shape suggests a warrior who relies on skill and agility, and of course the magic of his weapon. This means only partial armor, and there should be some cloth too. I'd like to put a lot of surface detail into the normal maps, so it all has to be very complex as well.

Now I'm a bit confused about the exact setting. He's supposed to be an artefact-user, so it makes sense to look to traditional fantasy for inspiration. However, this is supposed to be a post-apocalyptic culture that's discovered magic - so it should have at least some mythology about an industrial civilization that's gone long ago. Not too many books can survive a thousand years, not to mention household items, clothing, and of course every piece of electronic media is lost, digital or analog.
But vehicles, buildings and machinery could survive, even if heavily corroded and ruined - and in that case it should have an influence on this civilization.

But mixing Mad Max with swords and sorcery is pretty difficult to me...
Just how's the magic used, how's it bound into the artifact? How do people make armor? The lack of electricity and even steam power suggest medieval methods. And what kind of symbols, patterns and other decoration are they using?

These are some pretty complicated issues to me, as I should try to design the armor and weapon according to these. Should it be closer to a traditional fantasy setting, with heavy ornamentation (we're talking about a warlord here, he should be decorated) - or should the complexity come from just a lot of small pieces, straps, bolts, and other stuff holding it together? What kind of magical sword would fit that look?

So... I guess I'll have to give it some more thought. It doesn't help that I'm flooded with work, either ;)

Sanislov
02-27-2008, 01:06 AM
Good to see another hungarian on the same side:)
the last sketch is the best so far....i think;)

thejaybird
02-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Keep working your ideas. I'm sure you will find something that works with the story and fits your style. I'm having a hard time as well, but its coming.

I like the bottom right thumb as well. That sword could look nice in full detail. good luck

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2008, 01:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.