02-18-2008, 06:39 PM
---LATEST UPDATE---

Design 2.

http://system404.net/images/cgtalk/domwar3/sketches06.jpg

Weapon sketches

http://system404.net/images/cgtalk/domwar3/sketches07.jpg

erik_j
02-18-2008, 07:59 PM
CGTalk seemed to have so many totally must-win contenders last year during concept stage and yours was definately one that had me convinced :), hope you have a blooded tooth from last year! :) looking forward to seeing your work of this years! :\)/

Art2
02-18-2008, 09:59 PM
You're going to hurt a lot of people, Sys.
And I'm not even going to mention your kill count.

Looking forward to your first concepts.

Airflow
02-19-2008, 03:56 AM
Yup its should be fun bulldozing all those pawns out of the way....

System404
02-19-2008, 04:34 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys! TO WAR!!!
I want to keep in line with my Dominance War 2 entry so I'm sticking to the Norse mythology. I really want to push this one as far as character.

Character brief:
Ragna Røkkr

After the failed attempt of the Valkiries in the last war the gods watched as the universe plundered into darkness. In the coming years they saw how the mechanical threat gave way to a more menacing danger. This new danger came as more species ditched their technological crutches in favor of the god's own weapon of choice, magic.
Fearing that their place in the universe is being challanged, the gods try for one desperate attack, The release of the Ragna Røkkr. Surely a beast meant for total destruction can wipe the universe clean, right?

Character type:
Class:
Warlord

Artifact weapon:
Fire/lava

System404
02-19-2008, 04:41 AM
ok this is the first attempt.
I wanted to sorta mix in the mayor characters in Norse myth, especially Fenrir and Surtr. This is the most obvious choice so I'm really not happy with this. At least now I can proceed more creatively since this is out of my system.
http://system404.net/images/cgtalk/domwar3/sketches02.jpg

Here's a mix of other sketches after the last one.I still am not clear on the direction, I want something very massive and powerful. Once i've settled on the body type I'll move on to armor and details.
Critiques and commetns welcomed.

http://system404.net/images/cgtalk/domwar3/sketches01.jpg

Xarxys
02-19-2008, 04:44 AM
I really like the norse myth idea you could always make him extremly powerful looking.

thejaybird
02-19-2008, 05:21 AM
Good shapes in your sketches...I like the 2 in the bottom right corner. Very powerful and intimidating. I am suprised so many are going with the fire magic. After the Balrog (LOTR) I'm scared to create anything that has to do with fire. "How could I ever top that?" But i'm looking forward to what you can come up with. I'm rootin' for ya.

robomojo
02-19-2008, 05:42 AM
Wow :D I love your sketches! Top 6 catches my eye, with the crossed reversed mandibles! Awesome! I feel like Bottom 4, the horned dragon with the mace, is also very nice.

Art2
02-19-2008, 08:29 AM
Good shapes in your sketches...I like the 2 in the bottom right corner. Very powerful and intimidating.

I agree, but I also like the evil, taunting expression of the devil creature in the middle bottom row. Make it brute like, but intelligent in a devilish kind of way.

GavinG
02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Very cool man, glad to see you in it this year as well :) Loving the concepts so far.

cheers,
Gav

erik_j
02-19-2008, 08:54 AM
ah, I first read Nurse and was all like "woah! cool!" x¨D
great sketching! didn't see one that really hit the spot for me character-wise though.. hope for more! :)

Airflow
02-19-2008, 08:55 AM
I go with the norse character too.

commander_cool
02-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow! You're on fire!

I think I still prefer the first one tho. Anyway, I'll keep looking here once in a while... it looks promising!

Gune
02-19-2008, 01:56 PM
great ideas here... i really like your thumbnails!!!

my DWIII (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=597127)

Loukor
02-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Great sketches, Best of luck to you!

Buckminster076
02-20-2008, 06:03 AM
Your monster concepts have great gesture! I'm liking the one in the lower left with the skinny legs, the one with the big horns next to him, the long neck dinosaur one with the mace, and the chicken-leg one in the center. Can't wait to see more.
-I.

System404
02-24-2008, 06:39 PM
I'll be fleshing out some of the sketches in the coming days, for now here's a quick concept.
I decided for the artifact weapon to have a giant mace that lava spews out of. As for the overall design I really want to integrate some animal design to tie it more to the norse myth. In the Ragnarok myth they have a giant wolf, serpents,hounds,etc. and I really want to make it as if this creature is based more on nature/beasts vs human/gods.

http://system404.net/images/cgtalk/domwar3/sketches03.jpg

Airflow
02-24-2008, 06:42 PM
I vote 1 but cut off the manticore things and give him a mane of magma.... :) Balrog all the way :)

Stalsby
02-24-2008, 06:49 PM
Looking good! I'll be keeping an eye out!

erik_j
02-24-2008, 07:57 PM
feels like you can do alot better :) needs to be more interesting and not so seen before imo.
ornaments on chest of #1 are quite neat.
keep it coming! :)

System404
02-24-2008, 11:13 PM
Thanks a lot, erik_j i totally agree. I've been having a hard time with this, I'm hoping the more I sketch and refine the better of an idea will come out. Not thrilled so far with any of the ideas just because they don't seem to jump out at me nor do they convey what i'm going for.

System404
02-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Still not happy with the sketches but figured I post this since I had a lot of fun with the border and text.

http://system404.net/images/cgtalk/domwar3/sketches04.jpg

robomojo
02-25-2008, 06:56 AM
That is pretty cool! I like the new head, looks very deathly, but the hair brings it back.

I'm not liking the weapons as much though! While the lava trail is good, the weapon itself just seems to need more sex. Perhaps a single wide round sword, with a hole in the end from whence come tha magma, similar to the shape behind your logo? OoOo, or, a Chainsaw with lava coming out of it! Also similar to your logo!

Just a thought! It's looking sweet !

AngryAndy
02-25-2008, 03:19 PM
Your current concept looks great. Lots of nice details and colours.

However, I agree with robomojo in that his weapons let the concept down. They look a bit too much like maraccas from hell, in fact. As soon as I thought of that I couldn't stop imagining him playing Samba De Amigo. I think he needs something a bit more badass looking, since his head and the fantastic mane like hair you've drawn look pretty menacing. He kind of looks like a Hell's Angel that's actually from Hell - kind of bikerish :) The pose he's in suggests he should have a more dynamic weapon, like chains or a sword of some kind. The clubs look a bit stumpy and weak (as well as possibly musical :) )

System404
02-26-2008, 06:28 AM
Hey guys thanks for the feedback. I want to stay away from swords and other weapons, I really like the idea of a mace type of weapon because they're just more brutish. As far as what I have so far on the weapon concepts I really haven't done much thinking on them except the part on integrating the elemental power. The weapon was never meant to stay as a cillinder with holes, it will get more detail. Right now though I'm concentrating on the character itself, once that's done the weapon will be an extension on the design.

Here's another idea
http://system404.net/images/cgtalk/domwar3/sketches05.jpg

Art2
02-26-2008, 08:15 AM
Last concept is extremely cool Sys.

You could experiment with the skull, making it more alien or less familiar looking.
Just an idea, love it as it is.

Cyborgguineapig
02-26-2008, 11:12 AM
I second Art2's comment. Damn thats hot.

erik_j
02-26-2008, 12:38 PM
omgz! now you're really starting to convince! feet and pelvis-area especially stunning and overal figure is great! (all except ridges upon shoulder)
agree with Art2 (in this thread too :)) but perhaps not alien in a typical sense but maybe dodge that typical-still-life-study-cow-skull feel which I can't help getting :) but also using exactly a cow-skull (or what it is) might be according to the story tradition you're into on this guy...

Mantegra
02-26-2008, 04:45 PM
Very spiffy design. I think he would look cooler if he had large horns protruding out of his head and glowing eyes. The design of the armour has a lot of spikes and maybe a bit worrying in terms of polycount so maybe smooth out some bits or make the spikes larger but grouped together in clumps?

nikudy
02-26-2008, 04:53 PM
hey, nice design !

the legs seem odd though. i think he would have some problems walking. can't figure out where the knee should be.

i have to agree with Montegra about polycount. also the silhouette gets a bit too busy and repetitive.

-claudiu

System404
02-26-2008, 06:43 PM
I hadn't figured how much of a polybudget this character would need to make it work. None of the rules specify that the concept has to follow 3d constraints. I figured since it is a game art comp that it could go either cinematics or next gen. I wasn't planning on putting to much thought into a poly limit, instead I was going to focus on making sure that it worked in 3d.

ScudzAlmighty
02-26-2008, 06:58 PM
pretty sure the rules say 9000 poly's max, including weapons.

and damn your awesome design:argh:

System404
02-27-2008, 07:20 AM
ScudzAlmighty-- That polycount is for the 3d comp, the concept comp has no such limitations. Like I said before I'm not going to think on any polybudget, my goal is to make it so it could be modeled in 3d.

Here's another concept. I'm liking more the last two that I did, I feel I'm getting exactly what I wanted which was a massive, brutish warrior.
I plan on getting the final design by the end of the week, that should give me plenty of time to do the character sheet and beauty shot for April 7th.

http://system404.net/images/cgtalk/domwar3/sketches06.jpg

robomojo
02-27-2008, 09:14 AM
So freakin cool :D What are the flowy bits coming off the forearms? It would be cool to see him in his ramming position!

XTitan
02-27-2008, 09:21 AM
Those are some sweet boarders... and the guy inside isn't so bad either :thumbsup:

Very nice stuff, interesting design, beautiful sketches keep it up!

jasonjuta
02-27-2008, 09:58 AM
Awesome man, you're a very cool artist. Good luck!

OKMER
02-27-2008, 10:09 AM
Yep, really cool!Nice way of presenting.
MAkes it look kinda finished already.
Keep on rocking

erik_j
02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
:0// :0_ :0// :0_ I feel like making a worshipper char for this character ;P
those red arm horns are stunning! great idea to use big runeart elements on actual figure :)
only critique is I think the belt and the little horn-piece below chest don't fit in.. and maybe use gold against the black only or there seems to be two different kind of red materials which seems to clash maybe..

marsyas
02-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Really awesome stuff!

Super cool designs and presentation.

Gyorkland
02-29-2008, 08:59 PM
WOw Love the Shell style totally awesome

fx81
02-29-2008, 09:53 PM
that is simply awsome! are you just doing a 2d entry this time ?

StacyOgie
02-29-2008, 11:14 PM
This is some nice stuff. Keep it up, no crits from me.

MDR
03-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Thats a great concept with brilliant presentation, any chance of seeing them in some action poses?

wenart
03-01-2008, 01:08 AM
just, wow, I like your chara very much

Airflow
03-02-2008, 05:03 PM
Wow, speechless.

Legs need more bulk, but its gonna be tough putting this guy down. :D

toureiro
03-03-2008, 01:54 AM
cool stuff man! the lighting could be more dramatic. but you're sure to get to that point I guess
Keep it up

Buckminster076
03-03-2008, 05:46 AM
Your last two posted pics are awesome! :bounce:
The painting/color balanced with the line work is really superb.
The design is pretty tight too, can't wait to see your final! I'll be watching...
-I.

System404
03-03-2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the kind word everybody!

erik_j--You are right about the belt and such I did refined it some more, haven't been able to post latest stuff because my upstairs neighbors water pipe burst and totally ruined my studio room. Had to move all my computer and crap out of the way and now i'm just waiting for somebody to fix my ceiling before I set up the room again.

fx81-- Yes this time around i'm just doing 2d, I don't think I can manage to do 3d.

MDR-- I have him in an action pose for the sketches of the weapon. Haven't been able to post it yet. Also this aren't final anythings, they're just ment to help me later on when I have to think on the final composition.

Airflow-- I thought about giving him some more. Wasn't sure if it would of been too much, I really wanted his feet to have the free ability to move around and thought more armor might hinder that. Might give him something like what they put on rooster's(the spike) in Cockfights.

toureiro-- Yeah those are just sketches, nothing final yet. I'll keep in mind the lighting when doing the final shot.

Again thank you everybody!!

System404
03-19-2008, 04:01 AM
Here's some more sketches on the weapon, not happy with any of these. Going to keep trying.

I'll be posting tonight as I get stuff done.

http://system404.net/images/cgtalk/domwar3/sketches07.jpg

kenzoabeki
03-19-2008, 06:18 PM
You're definetly one of the best painters I've seen around. Loved all paintings, and the sketches. But the colors, ah, the colors. Man, you ROCK!

jingudyi
03-27-2008, 08:13 AM
cool thumnails~!
lots of characters there

jingudyi
04-12-2008, 10:40 AM
yeah..so good~

good luck guys~

erik_j
04-12-2008, 10:58 AM
you're working on brushing up your final submitables atm right? :U
update \\U:

CGTalk Moderation
04-12-2008, 10:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.