Final Image 4/12/08 -check last page for full submission
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/208/jeffmillerwinningposeog1.jpg

name: anathema
class: clericon
race: drider
artifact type: darkness/void

BSparky
02-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Digging the direction Red! Curious what type of legs you are going with, and if he will have a tail, which could be used as another weapon:) I will keep an eye out on this one for sure, good luck with the war.

Spark

www.bbriley.com

RedRepublik
02-18-2008, 11:19 PM
here are 2 other ideas that i have been exploring, but i'm still leaning towards the original fire lizard idea
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/7237/golemim0.jpg
http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7576/spidherkt7.jpg

Xarxys
02-19-2008, 12:22 AM
I like the Spider human a lot it has very interesting design I think you could do a lot with it.

vince22
02-19-2008, 02:49 AM
i second the spider human

DDS
02-19-2008, 03:18 AM
I REALLY like the top part of the spider, the one separate. I think it looks like a Dragon Warrior or something like that. It also matches pretty well with the spider legs :)

ThE-BirD
02-19-2008, 03:56 AM
Fire Lizard could make for some cool monster skin (not a fan of the halter top leather though;) but I really like the spider webby looking helmet on spider chick...

...or I could be trying to mislead you... lookin forward to it Jeff:D

RedRepublik
02-19-2008, 02:59 PM
haha hey bird how's it going. i havn't seen your entry yet. too busy unpacking? well i showed the spider concept around at work and everyone said it looked like the doom 3 spider chick (i never played doom 3 so i had to look it up). i didn't want to infringe, but i do like that design.

hmm what to do

Deep-Wulf
02-19-2008, 04:17 PM
I would have to agree with the Doom 3 sentiment. It also reminds me of a Drider from D&D parlance.

To be honest, I'm personally digging the second "heavy armor" thing with the arachnid arms coming out of his back. That has some cool potential to toy with both armor and organic alien forms.

RedRepublik
02-20-2008, 03:37 AM
i did a little more with the golem and the fire lizard. still not sure which direction i want to go

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/9313/golemsmallix1.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5339/firelizzardsmallaz1.jpg

Xarxys
02-20-2008, 03:48 AM
Hmmm.. head ideas... how about a really ticked off looking boulvine looking head, or something alienlike?

RedRepublik
02-20-2008, 07:23 PM
i need to start focusing on one direction. please help me choose A B or C.

thanks

red
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/2103/chooseot9.jpg

fellah
02-20-2008, 07:41 PM
maybe you could combine the best of both worlds, B and C, imo. take the hairy spiderlegs and put on C's back instead of the metalic things. then give him an ugly spiderhead/spider looking mask.. good luck man!

DTRAN
02-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Looking good there Miller!

pdriggett
02-20-2008, 09:02 PM
While I like them all, B is the one that stands out to me. In the grand scheme of the competition I've seen many large bulky guys with glowing lava concepts. Not to say yours aren't better, but B is unique and not a bad concept anyway.

She'd look cool with some sort of spear or polearm in my opinion. Or even a Bow.

RedRepublik
02-20-2008, 11:26 PM
what's up dave. thanks for viewing, but you didn't pick one :twisted:

one last update for the day on C. i still dont have a favorite

http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/6240/irongolemky6.jpg

DTRAN
02-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Hahaha...thats how i roll these days....i just don't pick. I love "A" but i also love your latest update, just feels like a good mixture!

Glad to see you representing :)

-d

Zelenkov
02-21-2008, 02:14 AM
Gonna have to go with B. Unique. To many "normal"/"stereotypical" dark hero designs....not to many cool looking spiders.

Slythis
02-21-2008, 02:18 AM
I agree, B is gonna be the attention grabber.

tripsan
02-21-2008, 05:30 AM
I like c the best so far, not really a fan of the spider chic thing, though admittedly it is more unique.

just letting you know im here walking the walk.

- trip

aeonseraph
02-21-2008, 08:52 AM
I agree with fellah sugestion. Anyway cool concepts, and i like the 3d model too. ^^

Airflow
02-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey, how goes it. I completely missed your entry. Looks great, I love the hot metal, mebby add some cracks and sparks/falling sprinkles of hot metal.
Still wanna see the lizard.
Id go for A unless you beef up the spiderlegs, adding musclemass/strands. Add some steroids to your models, just keep thinking Gears Of War. :P

JockeP
02-21-2008, 09:24 AM
I really like the C guy. Let his head be a flame that would be cool.
But if you want to stand out some, take your spider and make an insect like me :)

RedRepublik
02-21-2008, 03:27 PM
thanks for chiming in, everyone. i guess there is no concensus, but i think i have a few ideas of how to combine the different ideas, so i will post again in a couple of days

DrFx
02-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Hello RedRepublik! I like your concepts, and I think the Brute/Spider hybrid is the way to go!
I would just make the Legs much thicker, and perhaps bigger, in a leg to body proportion like you'd expect from a normal spider.
By the way, spiders have a variant (lucifugue) that is usually associated with darkness!

dronetheories
02-21-2008, 07:25 PM
I love the idea that fellah has, see what the spider wings would look like coming out of his back with maybe the helm of the spider women on the lizard? Give it some good transition between surfaces, skin to hair, to metal and what not. I do like the lizard idea the most and the 3D concept is awesome.

Yone
02-22-2008, 03:39 PM
The spider human concept is great. I think it would be much cooler if you made the human features more pale and a bit more corrupt. I belive that a slightly more evil take on this character would rise it to the next level
I tend to have bad feelings when I see spiders so it would be great to see some spider influences creep into the design of the armor

Good luck with it

XTitan
02-22-2008, 04:41 PM
Sweet concepts, I would go with the BLACKSMITH if i were you, although the guy next to him aint so bad either :thumbsup:

Out of the three I'd say he looks like he can do the most damage. Keep it up, as for a head I think it would help if you told us the backstory. If he doesn't have a backstory make it up and maybe you'll get more ideas that way.

Xarxys
02-22-2008, 04:43 PM
Looks great man I also think that B stands out the most. How do you guys create models in zbrush so fast?? Super modeling lol.

DBeck
02-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Yo! I was really liking the direction you were going with the guy that has the lava hand thingy. I like him a lot in the concept but you went in a different direction with the 3D model... I say go with the concept as it is. :)

RedRepublik
02-22-2008, 07:31 PM
xtitan: this is the backstory:

a mage learned the dark art of summoning elemental's from the etherial fire plane, but needed a prision to keep the elemental contained, so he commissioned a blacksmith to build a giant suit of armor. the blacksmith secretly embed a powerful artifact into the armor that would allow him to controll the spirit. after summoning the elemental, the blacksmith took command of the creature and used him to kill the mage. now posseses the most powerful creature in the corporeal realm.

now give me ideas for his head!

Bonepuller
02-22-2008, 07:51 PM
I dig the latest, Jeff.

Maybe for a head you could have some kind of cage like structure, like the bulk of the elemental's essence is contained in the head and he wants out. It could be strapped down/held together with a bunch of overlapping bands of iron that are all white hot from the stress of the elemental trying to escape.

Or somethin' like that. Looks cool.

RedRepublik
02-23-2008, 05:29 PM
thats a good idea bonepuller. i am still going back and forth on my ideas. i worked on the lizard guy some more. i did a little more tweaking on the concept sculpt, and started to paint over it. just roughing in ideas for the gear. ignore the head please.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4116/lizard02gv9.jpg

StacyOgie
02-23-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm really liking this update. The armor is looking good and the head is really attractive lol.

Firerbert
02-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Been a long time mate! Really digging you concepts! Two things.
First, I think it would be wise to deter away from the style "quadraped animal hind legs for bipeds". Now this is just my personal opinion, but it seems to be becoming a HUGE fad in the 3d character design world within the past 6 months or so. I know it's always been a design preference, but the number of models out there with those legs has increased exponentially to the point of me wanting to shoot my brains out. So I urge you to not fall back on that because he's ginormous and demon like. You can always just put him on a tricycle and see what happens?!?!?
Second, don't put those chains on his arms and his shoulder appendages (sp?). I would think that would become an easy target in a fight to bring him down. Grab the chains and brake off his back pieces with a good swift tug. I think he could use the chains as weapons. Maybe if you make those back pieces weapons that holster into his body. Ummmm, I dunno, that might be overboard. Anyway, I'll be checking back for updates!

GavinG
02-23-2008, 08:45 PM
Very cool man! Glad to see you in the war this year. :)
Gav

hakanpersson
02-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Really neat last concept you got there. But I really like the siluette of the sculpt more than in the concept, it gives a greater sense of size and just looks more interesting. However, I must say, fire and lava feels kind of "been there done that". At least theres alot more interesting combinations to create. Frost, void/darkness.. something!

Good luck! You rock, this will be great:)

/Håkan

DXtreme
02-23-2008, 09:14 PM
hey,

great work so far. like the concept and the quick sketches. can't wait to see more of the 3d progress - amazing

riu
02-24-2008, 09:44 AM
i thought of doing a drider as well if you check out my WIP thread, but i decided against it because I thought it might be too cliche, and i prefered to do something that i could call my own so i did my own spin on it. kinda like your last design. but personally, i think you should go with the non spider one, just because it's a conventionally safe design. i feel like i'm taking a huge gamble with a drider inspired design, but if you want to travel this road with me, you're more than welcome

kkem
02-24-2008, 05:48 PM
wow, slow down man, geez.
The anatomy is looking great, and I realy like what you've done with the clavicles.

Airflow
02-24-2008, 06:51 PM
Agreed, looks damn impressive.
Makes me want to go back to the drawing board on my entry. Ill jut be doing one more concept now :P

RedRepublik
02-26-2008, 04:47 PM
thanks to everyone who responded the comments have been useful in helping me narrow things down. i have decided to officially go with the fire lizard. i still want to make the iron golem/blacksmith character, but i will do that for fun. so here is my latest update. i want to flesh out the model some more and then go back to sketching the gear on top, and playing with different head ideas. i am starting to think about the artifact/weapon as well. so far, i was thining something with chains, either a ball and chain (but mroe unique than that) or some kind of hellbeast on a chain. i am out of town for a week, so i will fall behind some.
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5679/jeffmillergn8.jpg

Brutikong
02-26-2008, 10:22 PM
Hey Red
Nice progress. I know your still working on the head but I like the direction on the last image.

RedFish
03-06-2008, 03:40 AM
Hey man I really liked your entry last year, good to see the progress this year, nice model

madshooter
03-06-2008, 05:41 AM
Nice progress, he looks mean and wicked:scream:. For artifact you can show a metal skull or a creature skull with spikes attaches to a chain.
All the best:thumbsup:

RedRepublik
03-06-2008, 03:50 PM
hey redfish and anole..i mean brutikong. great to hear from you guys. madshooter. i was thinking about the artifact. i haven't concepted it yet, but i was thinking it might be a gem that he uses to control 2 firenymps that he has chained to him. maybe it will make more sense when i draw it. here is an update of some zbrushing i have done
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1405/uploadfrontdj5.jpg

BSparky
03-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Looking good Red, though the secondary feet coming out of the tail feels odd to me, maybe instead of legs you have the seperation be other tails? Or make the legs at least be functional, as they look like a parasitic twin from birth, which is more of a grotesque feature that the rest of the character does not have. Modeling is tight as always though, and glad to see you update with something.

Spark
www.bbriley.com (http://www.bbriley.com)

DTRAN
03-06-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey Jeff, so this is what the kids are doing these days, the zee, er...the zed brush :)
I cant wait to see this guy when he's done. I like the fire nymph idea. I am also stuck on the artifact. Your progress is looking great!

joed8349
03-06-2008, 04:28 PM
Looking good Red, though the secondary feet coming out of the tail feels odd to me, maybe instead of legs you have the seperation be other tails? Or make the legs at least be functional, as they look like a parasitic twin from birth, which is more of a grotesque feature that the rest of the character does not have. Modeling is tight as always though, and glad to see you update with something.

Spark
www.bbriley.com (http://www.bbriley.com/)

I agree. The extra set of legs look weird and are a waste if they can't be used (especially when modeling for 9k tris).

Great modeling and character!

RedRepublik
03-06-2008, 04:36 PM
ok fair enough on the second set of legs. i was sort of thinking that they would be more like vegtigial limbs that would be holding the chains for the nymphs, but now i have a better idea, so i will lose the extra legs. and oh yeah, we have a poly budget...forgot

hyperSasquatch
03-06-2008, 05:51 PM
I love the proportions you are going with,

dono about the little legs in the back, but they actually work for me , its got a nice reference to Trex and adds an element of uniqueness to the design,

keep it going !

would you mind posting the low rez mesh of the sculpt you are working on, I would like to see some workflow of how you got to that state,

thanks and keep it up !

RedRepublik
03-07-2008, 04:37 PM
hypersasquatch: thanks. here is the basic workflow i am using. i started with a rough basemesh, made in max, then i imported it into zbrush and spent alot of time figuring out proportions and what not. i used the "snakehook" brush to extrude the tail and spikes. then, when i needed more resolution, i exported the basemesh back to max, and modified it to fit around the new zbrush sculpt. then i brought it back into zbrush, subdivided it a few times and projected the detail from the original sculpt onto the new topology. you can also retopologize it in zbrush, but since i wasn't making huge changes to the base mesh, i thought this way would be faster.
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4240/uploadfrontdg6.jpg
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7203/originalou4.jpg

Firerbert
03-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Very clean man. So I take it you DID get ZB3!

joed8349
03-07-2008, 06:38 PM
Awesome work.

I was wondering all morning how to work back and forth between Maya and ZBrush, being I'm not that familiar with ZBrush.
For normal mapping I thought the UVs needed to be set on the base mesh before sculpting the hi-res model, but didn't know how to edit the base mesh (add faces) to look more like the hi-res mesh after major ZBrush sculpting was done.

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try.

Loukor
03-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Great sculpt so far dude and right now it feels like an actual real life sculpt. Can't wait to see more, cheers!

RaresH
03-10-2008, 04:55 AM
Coming along nicely Red. He has a powerful looking exterior that is well defined. He looks like hes well planted when viewed from the front but not so sure footed from the back if you know what I mean. I'm sure you're still sculpting him but keep in mind that you need to sculpt in enough details to make him look his size. Right now he looks like a 12'' clay figure. Keeping my eyes on this one :thumbsup:.

RedRepublik
03-11-2008, 09:32 PM
i thought my indecisivness was over, but i have been revisiting the spider lady idea. i just lost steam on the lizard guy. am i crazy to shift gears and start in this direction? if not, then which costume do you dig, if any?
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6490/spiderqueen2dq2.jpg

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/9724/costumeoptionslu1.jpg

ThE-BirD
03-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Haha, nah I like the lizard but this one has more punch to me. You've gotta incorporate that spider mouth into the nastiest lookin Vagina with teeth though if you're gonna roll this way... I also like that she has a helmet with multiple eyes rather than her just being a multi-eyed beast... gogogo!!!

wdcstudios
03-11-2008, 10:06 PM
I like the fire lizard I'd stick with that, you should have lava in some of the crack or seams in the body.

kyphur
03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Nice work man.

Firerbert
03-11-2008, 10:56 PM
Conceptually, I think the Spider Lady is so much more invigorating! I totally understand how you lost your steam on the Fire Lizard. I say go with your gut on this one. Walking away from a piece or working on it sparatically can really help you to realize the true potential of your creations. If you feel like the Fire Lizard just ain't packin' but the Spider Lady is, then go for it.
I would agree with you 100% if you changed gears. You may be crazy, but you've done some amazing work on short time frames like this and I think you can seriously pull this one out of the hat and amaze us all once more!
The new concept, although an arachnid lady has been done before, it does provide a nice and fresh realization to the idea. How you've retained more of the spider than other concepts like this is very wicked. The sheer size is over powering and the true difficulty will lie in defining the woman. The artifacts are somewhat ambiguous and don't seem too sensible for use as weapons. I think it might need to be something she can fire projectiles with, sling shot, david and goliath, Geek RPG Stone Lightning Bolts (http://youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw) but the electricity is nice.
As far as costumes go, I like B, D, & E. If you want to make her stand out, go with something sensual and majestic. Most of the time you'll see a character of this kind be dark and disturbing. If you make her sexual and proud to be what she is, she will really make a statement.

MTFBY... A

jbrophy
03-11-2008, 11:13 PM
I think they are both cool ideas. What concerns me is you only have 4 weeks left. Pick one and get rolling :) I really like the spider concept but you have a really solid base mesh for the lizard.

DTRAN
03-12-2008, 01:20 AM
"C"!!! dude? theres only 4 weeks left including this week...i thought your firelizard was good. The concept for this spider lady does sell me on it tho......

RedFish
03-12-2008, 02:24 AM
Man over half way through, switching gears sounds a tad nutz, but I must agree that the spider lady does seem like a strong character. If you do go for it I would go with go with F for the costume. Good luck dude

RedRepublik
03-12-2008, 08:14 PM
ok so i guess i am crazy. i am going to work on the spider lady for a couple of days, and if i don't get any traction, i can always go back to the lizard, which i have a fair amount of work done for. thanks for the comments and for adding fuel to my fire

Stalsby
03-13-2008, 06:56 AM
Im gonna have to go with A!

Nihilicon
03-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Brave man, I'm glad you're switching to that because I thought the fire lizard was (although very well executed) maybe a little generic. IMHO the spider lady has much more potential to become a winning piece. Stick with it . . 4 weeks is plenty of time ;)

Costume C for me, it looks more like something that might be worn in battle. I might have exaggerated the size of some of the details on the head and torso to avoid detail getting lost if the body is as big as you showed in that previous colour concept.

madshooter
03-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Spider lady will look cool:) All the best:thumbsup:

Brutikong
03-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Personally I'd stick with the firelizard.. I think you have an excellent start. When I first saw your model I thought.. Damn why didn't I do something like that..

I think you just need to take a render of it .. and say I have a great start here.. How do I push this to the next level.. How can I twist it in a way that I haven't seen done before. Add stuff that is over the top, then dial it back some.

If you start the female, you are going to build an entire new base mesh, and start zbrushing, then realize you still have a character that people are already familiar with. You'll be in the same boat.

henriquedw
03-14-2008, 03:07 AM
hypersasquatch: thanks. here is the basic workflow i am using. i started with a rough basemesh, made in max, then i imported it into zbrush and spent alot of time figuring out proportions and what not. i used the "snakehook" brush to extrude the tail and spikes. then, when i needed more resolution, i exported the basemesh back to max, and modified it to fit around the new zbrush sculpt. then i brought it back into zbrush, subdivided it a few times and projected the detail from the original sculpt onto the new topology. you can also retopologize it in zbrush, but since i wasn't making huge changes to the base mesh, i thought this way would be faster.
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/4240/uploadfrontdg6.jpg
http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/7203/originalou4.jpg

Hi, how did you project the details from original base mesh on to new base mesh?

RedRepublik
03-15-2008, 05:34 PM
hey brutikong. i get your point, but i still wanted to explore this avenue. i think i still have the time to finish. here is my latest concept
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/6890/jeffmillerlargely6.jpg

Hideyoshi
03-15-2008, 06:35 PM
The firelizard dude looks great! Dig the whole torso design with the spikey back.
The spiderlady is looking fun, but I prefer the powerful type.
Well, maybe if you went for some really interesting spider design... :)

walrus
03-15-2008, 06:48 PM
I hope you take the spider-lady idea further. It's a neat concept and cuts an interesting sihlouette. Your current guy is really skillfully sculpted, but reminds me a lot of the version Diablo from the Blizzard games 'Diablo II.' I'm sure it's entirely unintentional, but the silhouette - down to the big shoulder spikes - is pretty close. Of coure, the chains and clothing would have set him apart, and of course not texturing him bright red, but why not go for something more original? Anyhow, I'm sure whichever you do, they'll look great, as your art is really nice so far. Good luck!

Firerbert
03-16-2008, 04:08 AM
Yes, yes, and yes! That's what I'm talking about! Don't dilly too long on this concept though man. You better start getting down to some serious modeling in a quick fashion. I really like the outfit. Gives her that proud queen like air about her. Exactly what she needs. Elegance.

kinonato
03-16-2008, 10:36 AM
I woman instead of a man, an arachnid then a lizard, i think i'll go for the lizard man, much muscle and looks fleshsy, but the lady think the extra limp can make some grate pose too.

darrenwhite
03-16-2008, 11:29 AM
This entry looks awesome, keepup the good work

RedRepublik
03-17-2008, 05:13 PM
thanks for continuing to look, even though i have been so indecisive. i worked hard over the weekend on the spider model. i figure there is no going back now. i will finish up the fire lizard on my own time when there is no pressure/deadlines. here is what i have so far. i will start on the legs or costume pieces tonight. i have also been thinking about the artifact, though i havn't drawn it yet. i am thinking about either an ornate staff, or a scythe
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/7663/jeffmul8.jpg

RedFish
03-17-2008, 06:01 PM
hey man this is looking really good keep going you crazy bastard!

DTRAN
03-17-2008, 06:24 PM
I thought you were crazy switching up with just 4 weeks left....but look at you! Freaking A man! Freakin A! I love your zbrush work! And yeah its totally better to work on a character that you are excited about rather then a character you are iffy about. Can't wait to see more!

darrenwhite
03-17-2008, 07:29 PM
I think you made the right decision to move onto this design. Iloved the lizard guy but this design is much more original. i wouldn't have done it myself after all that work on the 1st one but it seems that you work at ninja speeds so good on you. Looking forward to seeing more of her.

hakanpersson
03-17-2008, 08:13 PM
Great start. Sculpting looks very fine.
I think the "weapon" you painted on the early sketch was damn cool, the two glowing spheres she carried. Or it could be just one, that she swings around to blunt her enemies, then she packs them up in spiderweb for dinner, mmm!:)

joed8349
03-17-2008, 09:05 PM
Personally I like the other concept/model better, but this has some nice modeling.

RedRepublik
03-18-2008, 01:11 PM
thanks redfish, dtran, darren white, and hakanpersson. i am glad you are liking it. joed8349: i just couldn't come up with anything interesting for the armor/costume on that guy. i will finish him up later though

Firerbert
03-18-2008, 01:18 PM
Excellent solid start man! I am glad you are seeing this idea through.

kenzoabeki
03-18-2008, 02:14 PM
What about an Halberd? I think it's a good weapon, for her size. I like the staff and scythe, but I think it's a little cliche. The halberd, is like a moisture of spear, axe, and could work like a staff. Just an idea. And, good concept. The spider shapes amaze me, and her helm is looking very, anatomic. Well, keep it up, and good luck.

My Dominance War III

joed8349
03-18-2008, 02:25 PM
thanks redfish, dtran, darren white, and hakanpersson. i am glad you are liking it. joed8349: i just couldn't come up with anything interesting for the armor/costume on that guy. i will finish him up later though

haha, I know how that is... I'm in that position right now, trying to figure out the armor/weapon/details to make the character more interesting.

RedRepublik
03-18-2008, 11:29 PM
kenzoabeki: that's a really good idea. i haven't seen anyone else using that, so maybe i will do some sketches. thanks

RedRepublik
03-19-2008, 07:56 PM
here's some more zbrush work. as you can see, i haven't done anything with the legs yet. there are also many more costume pieces i have to create, and the ones that are in there now are only stand-in.
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/2785/jm01jl8.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1453/jm03bp1.jpg
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/6472/jm02uw8.jpg

Firerbert
03-19-2008, 08:17 PM
I like how you've blended in the body. I can't wait to see how the legs turn out. Not so sure about how the arachnid abdomen looks at the moment. Maybe if I saw a couple different angles. Are you doing a bunch of patterns and designs on it it? Just kinda hard to make out.

muppetman
03-20-2008, 03:32 AM
WHAAAAAAAT?!?!? I thought Brett mentioned something about you starting over but I thought your were just throwing the idea around. Wow, this is looking really cool, Jeff. I like it better than the fire Lizard and all the ornate stuff is looking really nice. Keep it up. Love the top set of eyes. (the round fleshy ones):)

RedFish
03-20-2008, 05:56 AM
hey this is really coming along nicely, you just might pull it off, great job so far

RedRepublik
03-20-2008, 07:22 PM
firerbert: i will do some markings on the abdomen, maybe that's where i will work in the cgsociety logo.

muppetman: thanks for viewing finally:twisted: yeah i figured that i was just going to get stuck trying to design while i modeled with the fire lizard, so at least this way i already know what i am modeling. wish me luck on finishing in time..

redfish: thanks

RedRepublik
03-20-2008, 11:11 PM
one quick update for the day. i worked on the helmet and costume bits some. lots of work to do this weekend.

http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/2990/torsocc3.jpg

kmanning
03-20-2008, 11:22 PM
very nice update man. im really liking the armor design and my only crit (though Im sure you havnt gotten to it yet) would be to refine the shoulders and biceps. They look a little to tubular at the moment. Great progress I cant wait to see what you crank out this weekend

RedRepublik
03-22-2008, 08:59 PM
oops, double post

RedRepublik
03-22-2008, 09:00 PM
thanks kmanning. i left the arms like that because she will have sleeves. see. lots's of caveats with this image. the headdress has recieved no love, the hands are extremly messed up right now(mostly because i am thinking of giving her spidery fingers), the zbrush materials are really roughly applied just to separate the forms, some of the pieces (like the cape) havn't even been touched inside zbrush yet, and the transition from her body to the spider body will be much more subtle and blended. hopefully there will be more to come this weekend. my goal is to finish pretty much all the high poly by monday.

muppetman
03-24-2008, 06:46 PM
daaaaaaang, Jeff. This is looking so friggin' sweet. I believe in spider girls now. ;) I really love the head gear and I'm glad you decided not to reveal the tatas too much. Can't wait to see the creepy legs. (you should put high heels on the ends. :)

RedRepublik
03-25-2008, 10:47 PM
double post

RedRepublik
03-25-2008, 10:47 PM
wow, so much for finishing up the high poly by yesterday. here is one small update: work on the high poly legs. i will add all sorts of spidery hair to them in the low poly. more to come soon
http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/6936/legskq9.jpg

wdcstudios
03-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Looks like the spider lady has come along nicely, the legs look really good.

hyperSasquatch
03-26-2008, 05:01 AM
I really like your helmet design, it looks spidery and yet lady like very sleek

how did you do the hard edges on it ?

keep it comin !

FistOfGod
03-26-2008, 08:59 AM
Looking nice man. I like the legs so far. Keep on pushing! btw, what zbursh material did you use for the screenshot of the upper torso/head? :)

Waylon

QuantumPixel
03-26-2008, 09:21 AM
nice work, wow you really have some tallent,, this compatition has really inspired me to get up and learn this stuff and seing this makes me totaly want to get this finished and work on the next character in a series of learning and advancing,

the detail on the legs is sweet, I was unable to get such detail on mine. well done.

good luck..

somu01
03-26-2008, 10:14 AM
its really good work. Super detail...
Leta rock. very less time man. not more than 2 weeks.

See my latest Manjulika texture update.:thumbsup:

RedRepublik
03-27-2008, 01:19 AM
hey guys. thanks for the feedback.

hypersasquatch: i rough it all in zbrush, then quickly retopologize it in zbrush and then use pinch tool to crisp up the edges

fistofgod: thanks. i used the metal matcap and the bronze. then i overlayed them in photoshop to get a blend between them

quantum pixel: thanks

somu01: i know i am feeling the time crunch. i just need to keep going and hope for the best

RedRepublik
03-28-2008, 04:37 PM
ok, i finally finished up the high poly (except for the artifact). it was too hard to wrangle it all together. zbrush kept crashing. so here are all the parts. feedback please
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5274/redrepublik1lh1.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/7774/redrepublik3li2.jpg
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7976/redrepublik4ow3.jpg
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6802/redrepublik2ws5.jpg

Gyorkland
03-28-2008, 05:44 PM
I can see why your thread have 5 stars great work
don't know much about3d so I have a question,
when you have to make the low poly version, you have to model it all over again or there is a method to reduce the number of polys?

RedFish
03-28-2008, 05:53 PM
Hey man great job so far, I really like the model I think you made the right choice, one small crit if I may, probaby not worth fixing, but the cloth in the back looks a little lumpy. Keep it up 5 stars from me

Firerbert
03-28-2008, 06:15 PM
you rock man. That's all I can say.

kadeschui
03-28-2008, 07:30 PM
this looks hot, cant wait to see everything pieced together!

RobThornely
03-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Love this, I have always been a legs man but now....!

Airflow
03-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Thats disgusting.... Great stuff.

RedRepublik
03-31-2008, 03:42 AM
thanks guys. i this is the first time i have been at a computer all weekend. thank god for fredlines instead of deadlines. i need those 5 extra days.

adamlane
03-31-2008, 04:56 AM
Looking awesome dude! great stuff

vikramvr
03-31-2008, 06:35 AM
I see some awesome entries this time, entries that are totally inspiring, and yours is definitely one of them..I've been following your thread for quite some time..This is amazing stuff though i am not sure what the bottom part is..Maybe I haven't read enough on your thread...Awesome sculpt..

BloodTaster
03-31-2008, 02:05 PM
looks fantastic so far! great sculpt:thumbsup:

MimikOctopus
03-31-2008, 02:10 PM
My kitty cat's name is Anathema. :) This is really cool, can't wait to see this one finished.

RedRepublik
04-03-2008, 06:44 PM
MimikOctopus: that's a horrible name for a kitty!

i have been slogging along on the low poly. it's not that exciting, but here is the progress. i am holding back around 1000 polys for the weapon (which i have concepted, but not built yet). i want to go ahead and get this lady unwrapped and start normal mapping. this will be a busy weekend.
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7413/redrepubliklpwipmf7.jpg

Firerbert
04-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Late nights and busy weekends abound my friend.

RedRepublik
04-06-2008, 04:03 PM
upadate: low poly + normals + ambient occlussion

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/5781/jmlpew8.jpg

Ivan0129
04-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Woww..this cool character
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5018997#post5018997

Firerbert
04-06-2008, 05:20 PM
I am so glad you stuck to this character! Absolutely stunning! That translated so nicely, I thought it was highpoly for a minute! Keep it going Jeff, take it to the top!:bounce:

Ivan0129
04-06-2008, 05:22 PM
Very nice modeling

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=5018997#post5018997

RedFish
04-06-2008, 05:55 PM
looking good man, glad to see you were able to pull this off, bake looks good, will be waiting for the textures

Airflow
04-07-2008, 02:28 AM
Looking fab mate.

XTitan
04-07-2008, 03:34 AM
Amazing work, the low poly came out really well. Keep it up, the war is almost over :D

RedRepublik
04-08-2008, 05:47 PM
thanks for the kind words. now lets hope i can pull off the texture. here is the start of the diffuse. the clothing colors are just preliminary. i know i need to work in cgsociety red and the logo. the spec is very basic right now. also the lighting is crap, i just wanted to see a quick render

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/5756/redrepubliklowpolydiffurk4.jpg

and the WIP textures
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/1109/texturewiphb3.jpg

DTRAN
04-08-2008, 07:27 PM
Yes! its miller time! i have always loved your texture work, even from the days at VC. this is coming along nicely, keep pushing man!

RedRepublik
04-09-2008, 01:46 PM
thanks dave!

hiroshilee
04-09-2008, 03:14 PM
WoW! ! ! so coolllllll! ! ! ! !:buttrock:

foreverendering
04-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Awesome work and stunningly fast

SorinLupu
04-09-2008, 07:50 PM
Nice texture start, old school style. I like that. :)

zancoisrice
04-12-2008, 04:27 AM
oowwww can i kill it?

darrenwhite
04-12-2008, 12:43 PM
brilliant, really glad you went for this design in the end. she's very cool.

just finished my submission and i need some sleep. good luck with this. i think she has a good chance of a prize

Blackhorse
04-13-2008, 08:53 AM
awesome character! quality work!

DDS
04-13-2008, 09:08 AM
OMFG that's massive! How I missed this man. Awesooome! Pleasure to fight at your side :buttrock:

RedRepublik
04-13-2008, 01:18 PM
thanks for viewing and giving feedback over the weeks. here are my finals

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/208/jeffmillerwinningposeog1.jpg
http://img392.imageshack.us/img392/2332/jeffmillerbeautyli1.jpg
http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/2295/jeffmillertexturesheetgt9.jpg
http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/5051/jeffmillerconceptsheetir5.jpg

Firerbert
04-13-2008, 01:56 PM
AMAZING FINISH! Very awesome indeed! Best of luck man! I really like those final little touches with the hairs and spikes. Very slick!

samarcbz
04-13-2008, 02:22 PM
damnn that killer .
finally its finished man
great tectures and renders. i really like it.
it was great to fight for ur side.
best of luck

RedRepublik
04-13-2008, 03:44 PM
thanks Firerbert and Samacbz. i was an honor to fight along side both of you

OKMER
04-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Indeed killer stuff,wowww!
Nothing to add.
Congratz!!!

Flewda
04-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Dude, looks great. Very nice work, I really like the lighting too.

DTRAN
04-13-2008, 04:23 PM
You made it man! Congrats! Beautiful final delievery! So much detail in the texture, i love it! know what else i love? The spec and lighting in this piece alot, great job!

lallorona
04-13-2008, 06:44 PM
The human body was almost beautiful but the nipples looks like it hurts, I am a woman and I know what it means. And for me to see this in a video game won’t be flattering.

Beautiful colors and textures, although to deform a beautiful woman or a beautiful spider to create some thought about some thing else, is to create some thing bad. Why?

foreverendering
04-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Wow! Amazing work and polish in this one - great finish

BloodTaster
04-13-2008, 08:23 PM
Great job man! amazing character, good luck on the war!:applause:

Vahl
04-14-2008, 04:43 AM
Sorry I didn't reply sooner man, but this is stunning work, great concept, great execution, pretty sure you're going to place with that :)

RedFish
04-14-2008, 05:15 AM
absolutely phenomenal job! you pulled it off in record time! It's been awesome competing with you for cgsociety

farazmobin
04-14-2008, 04:51 PM
great concept and an execelent finish on the monster!

muppetman
04-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Damn, Jeff. You really pulled this one off. I love the pose and how you captured so much movement. Your rendering skills are off the hook! It's hard to believe you started over from scratch and still managed to finish. Good luck!

cmof

RedRepublik
04-14-2008, 11:56 PM
thanks Okmer, Josh, Dave, Foreverendering, BloodTaster, Vahl, RedFish, farazmobin, and muppetman. i'm not going to start over next time. this almost killed me.

lallorona: i'm sorry if you are offended by the image, or find it in bad taste. there are alot of games out there that have similar imagery, so i guess i was emulating the current climate of Mature games. my intention was not to offend anyone.

Red

darrenwhite
04-15-2008, 01:55 PM
awesome shots man. fingers crossed now

Brutikong
04-15-2008, 02:40 PM
Great work on this Red...

But I wouldn't have wasted anytime on lallorona.. she's just been going around insulting people's work.. she obviously doesnt understand the community.

joed8349
04-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Great work on this Red...

But I wouldn't have wasted anytime on lallorona.. she's just been going around insulting people's work.. she obviously doesnt understand the community.

Yea I noticed that too. Almost every one of her posts is negative.

Great job on spiderwoman!
The textures are awesome and the detail turned out very well.

Deep-Wulf
04-15-2008, 04:19 PM
This turned out incredible. Stunning! Congrats and good luck to you my friend.

I have a technical question:

It seems your overlayed UV's on top of eachother. I thought that would cause problems with the normal maps. They either wouldn't extrapolate or wont display correctly (wouldnt it be reversed normal directions and then not light correctly?) How did you, and how DO you do that. It really helps texture resolution..

CGTalk Moderation
04-15-2008, 04:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.