PDA

View Full Version : New version of XSI? When?

BubaBrown
02-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Hello,

as a long time Blender user I am considering to start also with XSI. But I am not sure whether it is a good time for purchase. Actual package is quite long on the market and I suppose that XSI may release new version this year. (Even to be in line with quite frequent and often releases of Autodesk 3d packages).

Please can you help me? Do you have any information or "feeling" that XSI may release SOFTIMAGE/XSI 7 this year?

Thank you very much.

JDex
02-18-2008, 02:38 PM
The next version of XSI is in beta. It could be released as soon as GDC (a few weeks) or as far away as Siggraph (August). Based upon what Soft has shown publicly, it is a huge release, meaning lots of new features which should be very useful - but also very difficult to make production worthy... so the beta could be a long one.

liquidik
02-18-2008, 02:39 PM
can't remember who, but someone said the February is the month of moondust (xsi7) and nparticles (maya 2009)... we'll see

McKertis
02-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Do you have any information or "feeling" that XSI may release SOFTIMAGE/XSI 7 this year?

Since you're coming from Blender, maybe you already know, but in the "major league" of 3D packages it is generally a good practice to be very careful about x.0 releases. ;)

BubaBrown
02-18-2008, 03:52 PM
Those are great news. Thank you very much. It will worth to wait several weeks or month then.

hsanden
02-18-2008, 07:56 PM
Based upon what Soft has shown publicly, it is a huge release, meaning lots of new features which should be very useful

You wouldnt have some more info about the new features, would you? :)

ThE_JacO
02-18-2008, 08:33 PM
There's been plenty previous info in several shapes and forms about that.

The main thing about the next version is the first incarnation of the "new core" (gawd how I'm coming to hate the catch-all word core), the fabled thing codenamed moondust, which goes beyond the idea of features, and really represents a considerable shift, or at least nudge, in giving a wider user-base access to programmability and raw power regardless of programming skills.

Anybody who could explain further would violate an NDA in doing so, and who wouldn't be violating one probably wouldn't really know the full extent of it.

For now you'll have to live with some gossip and with the brief reports of the few who saw some demos by somebody who actually knew what he was demoing :)

I'm sure Soft won't miss hyping it up and uploading videos as soon as enough will have happened to grant that much, and it's probably not long away. Until then you have work and webcomics to keep you entertained :p

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2008, 08:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.