PDA

View Full Version : DWIII -2D- BluntPencil - [TBA]

BluntPencil
02-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Latest design:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/Sentallia/DW3/holyknight6.jpg

Long time lurker, delurking for the AWESOMENESS that DWIII seems to be. And rejoice, I chose to join with you guys since CGtalk is my favorite spot for lurking and oggling. Here's hoping my stuff won't bring down the standard of the team. ;)

I have no concept yet as I've only just found out about the competition, but I expect to put up some concepts over the next couple of days.

Gogo, CGtalk! And keep up the lovely work!

BluntPencil
02-21-2008, 08:22 PM
I haven't settled on a final idea yet, but so far the concept is basically "the ultimate paladin"...the embodyment of the "holy warrior". So...platemail, glowing white-hot with Holy power. I am still just poking designs and searching for his "edge"...something that makes him stand out as something else than just "random dragon knight from D&D". Ideas are welcome.

Haven't gotten into his artifact yet. Wondering if I could make the artifact simply be the armor, or if I have to give him a staff or mace or something.

Brain-picks so far:
- Must glow like a bastard. He should seem to be close to bursting from contained "Light".
- The armor doubles as a space suit.
- The dragon-wings either need to go or be replaced, or they need to be even more emphazised and used in his story.

Really rough sketch, just trying to find a shape I like:
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/Sentallia/DW3/holyknightbody.jpg

Airflow
02-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Its a nice design. But give it some steroids. Chunk it up a bit, make it more raw.

OKMER
02-21-2008, 10:28 PM
Its a nice design. But give it some steroids. Chunk it up a bit, make it more raw.

I second that.
Great start buddy,Cheers

FrozZT
02-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Hey man!
Cool start.. All i could say to crit about your image is that its very evenly detailed all over. I dont think you need super focus on 1-3 points but still if you calm down some areas it will compliment your details much more. Hope to see some more soon!

Good luck!

-Niklas

RedGlass
02-22-2008, 11:28 PM
I think the biggest issue you have with your design is the genericness of it.

You want to create the 'ultimate paladin', the mold from which all holy warriors are cast. Currently your character just looks like A paladin, not THE paladin.

A mental exercise one of my teachers taught me is to take the illogical idea to it's logical conclusions. Think about everything that embodies paladin-ness and push it to an extreme.

Do they have a vow of silence, or poverty? Make it there in spades! Maybe they're dressed in lowly rags save for their holy artifact, that shines like a thousand suns.

I love the image you were suggesting earlier, of a character who is quite literaly bursting with holy might or energy. Perhaps they wear heavy, sealed armor to contain all the holy force within their mortal body. Instead of a vac-suit or something perhaps just their orfices are sealed (mouth, eyes, nose, ears, groin) and these mundane functions are dealt with by their holy patron.

Either way I like what you have, I just want to see it bigger and bolder and more holy!

Bennosuke
02-23-2008, 06:06 AM
Eww, I love that glassy look. I can only imagine how unique that would be in 3D: the gloss maps and the specularity! Good luck on this. I'll be around.

BluntPencil
02-23-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks alot for the input, folks. Much appreciated. And VERY good pointers, RedGlass. I shall definately consider these when I move on with this. I haven't had all that much time to really go in-depth with him yet and it was just that kind of "oomph" I needed...something that would indeed make him something else than just another dude in armor. :D

samarcbz
02-23-2008, 11:07 AM
looks cool man i really like it.

BluntPencil
02-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Did a new design where I tried to generally up the bad-ass-ness of it. I rather like what I got now, but still not sure it's the right direction. I think I'll try doing a few sketches a lot more down to earth as well, sort of "the Yoda of paladins"-like...the kind of guy that doesn't LOOK all that impressive at first glance, but at a closer look has a LOT of inherent power.

The really glowy bits here are where you can see his actual skin. His torso is more or less exposed out of sheer spite...if this guy gets hit in the first place, he's not doing his job right. :P I've tried incorporating the CGsociety colors a bit in this as well...not sure if it's all that apparent though.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/Sentallia/DW3/holyknight2.jpg

Loukor
02-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Thats just... really awesome, just did a squint test on it and I don't think the middle/glow part should be white, it should be another color imo. Cheers

farazmobin
02-23-2008, 01:53 PM
omg that looks friggin awesome.,maybe some more blank spaces in the arm and legs giving out more glow patterns along with glow beams,but still ...:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Firerbert
02-23-2008, 02:41 PM
Pretty tight concept! :thumbsup:

DDS
02-23-2008, 02:43 PM
oh wow man. This is awesome! Can't wait to see how you pull it off!

eMysfit
02-23-2008, 02:45 PM
Pretty awesome. Love the glow. Armor is nice too.

Stinger88
02-23-2008, 03:28 PM
Yo...looking great!

Loving some of the armour touches. Like the foot and shin guard bits. Nice touch.

I initially thought that the torso was armour plating. I really like the idea that its his skin though. If his whole body glows like this i'd like to see some of the glow leaking out in places and maybe even some slits and holes that let out the light.

Just a thought anyway. Looks like your on to a good start. You certainly got the ''glowing like a bastard'' feel you were after.

Swizzle
02-23-2008, 03:34 PM
I'm in total agreement with the others; it's looking pretty badass. I'm not so sure how the red and blue/white work together, though, so try to mix 'em up a bit more. Maybe try throwing some more glowing areas in there, like on the arms.

BluntPencil
02-23-2008, 04:32 PM
Again, many thanks for the input, folks! I did some heavy color adjusting and some minor changes on the previous sketch and think it's much stronger now. A bit afraid it may look "hot" instead of "holy" though...what do you think? Any ideas on how I can make it look holier? I'd like to keep the armor dark to contrast with the glow, but it may be a bit too gritty...maybe I should go for making it look more polished...hmmm...

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/Sentallia/DW3/holyknight4.jpg

Loukor
02-23-2008, 04:38 PM
Much better...I like! As for the Holy part, thats where your artifact design comes in. I was thinking of some kinda mace/hammer and your armor has a fine texture to it. Cheers

Update - I don't know how this will turn out but this might help make it feel a bit more holy, try changing the color of the feathers/wings to a more ..."holy" color. Though... this might backfire and just incase it does... I brought my umbrella.

RedGlass
02-23-2008, 04:50 PM
I like where this is going, it's getting better. I agree with Farazmobin though, the joints need a little glow too because platemail doesn't make a perfect seal (if it does you can't move) so he should have a supressed glow at the joints, possibly showing through chainmail or some kind of underarmoring. Even if he's wearing cloth or a jumpsuit underneath I don't think mere fabric is enough to stop the holy might of god!

GrandeLibre
02-23-2008, 05:00 PM
Yeah I like the first color scheme best. This is a neat idea, the magic glow looks cool.

Good luck!

BluntPencil
02-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Nicely put, guys. I'll get to work on the weapon soon, I think. Got a pretty good feeling about this guy and almost feel ready about taking him to the next level and start putting some thought in. And yeah, he needs some more glow at the joints...having it show through chainmail or half-transparent fabric is a nice idea.

clintbatac
02-23-2008, 05:51 PM
The armour looks sick and that glow is really working! Looking forward to see how the final treatment will be.

Stinger88
02-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Thats looking fantastic mate!

If your trying to make it look less hot, i'd loss the haze/smoke that you have put on him. And maybe a change of colour. maybe less yellow and more white or blue.

An idea to get it looking really holy would be to put some huge ass white feather angel wings on it. You might not want to go down that path and it might be overkill on the whole wings thing, but I think it would look fantastic!

BluntPencil
02-23-2008, 10:53 PM
While sketching, an idea struck me. I give you God's Chosen, the Hand of God...literally. The arm more or less drags the poor sod along and acts on its' own, smiting the enemies of God where and when it pleases.
Not sure if I'm gonna take this anywhere, but thought I'd share anyhow. It turned out...rather grotesque, I guess...but oh well. ^^

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/Sentallia/DW3/HandOfGod.jpg

And latest incarnation of the Paladin: Have fiddled more with colors, trying to move away from the Hot colors and more into mystical purple. A bit of cleanup and a bit of general editing of the armor as well.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h100/Sentallia/DW3/holyknight6.jpg

caiserxose
02-23-2008, 11:21 PM
cool glow and nice concept! looking forward to seeing new things.

SashaP
02-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Incredible armor and design, I adore the glowing body effect, especially the smoke, making it look like hes scorching =) Wonderful!

REKLAS
02-24-2008, 09:31 AM
Sweet. I think you pulled off the glow nicely. If you don't want to make it appear "hot" then you might want to rethink the heat rays/smoke/steam emitting from it.

AngryAndy
02-24-2008, 09:48 AM
Love your main concept, but the arm of god thing is just fantastic. Great idea and very cool looking sketch - love the hammer. Personally I think it's a more interesting idea than your current concept, although that's looking pretty cool too.

As for your main guy, I can just imagine fighting him in some game and knocking bits of his armour off, each time the environment around getting more and more illuminated as his body is revealed. I bet fighting him sucks though because it would be like you were always looking into the sun - which just isn't fair ;)

Hideyoshi
02-24-2008, 03:44 PM
cheers, man! This is developing nicely!
Dig the whole glowy concept!
As a little crit: looking a weeee bit generic maybe, make sure you go for some very original shapes! :)

Stinger88
02-24-2008, 04:11 PM
Great update!

I'm glad you put some glow coming from behind the gauntlets. I'd like to see some coming from the leg armour as well...possibly above the feet or at the knees.

Removing the disc from the chest has really helped as well. IMO

Keep it coming!

DrFx
02-24-2008, 05:06 PM
Cool concept!I agree with what the others said about the smoke, try replacing it with some light rays coming out of the joints of the armor! The face looks a bit on the "evil", rather than "holy" side.
I love the muscle messiah and the cross Hammer rocks!

polygonwarrior
02-24-2008, 05:09 PM
liked the concept.Keep it up.Would follow ur thread.

Best of luck :thumbsup: .Lets Destroy the enemies.

Xarxys
02-25-2008, 12:22 AM
GLOW is awsome love the idea man keep going.

suk-grigorij
02-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Knight character looks cool, especially the glowing part. Too bad it's not 3D.

syncmax
02-25-2008, 08:32 AM
i have seen all ur updates from ur first, and ur work is just getting greater and greater, well done! =)

i agree to the point of adding glow at the joints of the armor. u can even putting some ray lines like theres a bright holy light trying to get out from the joints especially near the hand/foot.

keep the great work! =D

BluntPencil
02-25-2008, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the great input, folks. It is muchly appreciated.

I'm pretty much satisfied with his colors now. And the smoke is there to stay, I think. While he still looks like you can get a burn from touching him, I think I've managed to move away from "I'm hot because I'm made out of white hot coal, yo" and more into "the holy magic is making me sizzle with heat as well".

I am still working on getting satisfactory glow from his joints. I've tried a whole bunch of different versions but none of them has come out right yet. It WILL come in there though, I like the idea a lot.

Thinking a lot about his weapon. Considering scrapping having a weapon at all, and maybe give him a tome or a standard instead. On the other hand, a huge mace or such would suit him. Gonna give it some more thought and come up with a series of concepts soon.

Again, thanks all! And keep up your awesome work!

CharlesVarenne
02-25-2008, 11:30 AM
Really like it. The glow you add on the wriste make him look so much more powerfull with the one of the torso and head.
Perhaps watch for the hips and legs, it gives me a bit of a female look.
Otherwise nice. :thumbsup:

Rion411
02-25-2008, 10:11 PM
Awesome character man, love the design. I can feel the glowing hot holyness, looks really effective.

PeddlePastEm
02-26-2008, 08:24 AM
This is looking really good, im glad you picked holy as the magical element, this one is going to be really interestting keep up the amazing work. Cannot wait to see the model.

RobThornely
03-22-2008, 05:31 PM
nice job man, like the glows, very bold design

BluntPencil
03-28-2008, 04:41 PM
What an insane month it has been. I have hardly had a moment to myself, and as such will have to throw in the towel. There has simply not been any time or energy to work on this. :(
Thanks to all those who followed my progress and encouraged me on. And best of luck to those that make it to the final round! :)

Firerbert
03-28-2008, 05:53 PM
:cry:NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!:sad: Come on man! Finish it! This was going to be a kick ass entry!

geniusdev_anshu
03-28-2008, 06:11 PM
hey i liked the concept very much.
i wud love to see it in 3d soon and the glow is very nice

kenzoabeki
03-28-2008, 10:40 PM
Shiny design. A great concept. This is getting very good. Good Luck.

My DW III

CGTalk Moderation
03-28-2008, 10:40 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.