PDA

View Full Version : Substitute Geometry won't work with references

Soviut
02-18-2008, 06:48 AM
Right now I'm suffering from the common issue of deformed reference geometry needing to be updated. The problem is, once referenced geometry gets skinned or deformed, "Orig" shape nodes get created and shaders and UVs often start to get lost or disconnected.

A very brute force method we'd come up with is to simply reference in another version of the geometry with a different namespace, retarget the deformers with memberships and copy skin weights to the new geometry. We then turn off the old reference, clean it to remove any latent connections and foster parents, then totally delete it.

This method is very time consuming and I was hoping to speed it up using the Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Substitute Geometry function. It works well on unreferenced geometry, but because it seems to require the creation of a new piece of geometry, it won't work on references.

I'm investigating the node networks trying to determine how difficult it would be to script something that simply transfers all necessary connections from the old geometry to the new, but its far more complex than that.

Are there any script solutions that exist to do this? If not, can somebody please point me to a resource explaining as much about the deformer node networks as possible so that I can know what to safely connect.

Thanks in advance, this one is a doozy.

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2008, 06:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.