PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 3D - Jumbo_Spaceman

SebastianPatric
02-18-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm swamped as it is, but I can't resist. Good luck, let's kick a number of asses!

And don't be misled by my other work on the forrums. I haven't posted any work since my first day of college. Now I'm about to graduate and I'm quite confident in my chances based on what I've seen from the previous War. The only problem is finding the time, but I'll do my best.

SebastianPatric
02-18-2008, 10:03 PM
I've been sitting at work and looking at everybody's DW III posts. I can see we are getting off to a great start. I've decided on the type of character Im going to do. Mine is going to fit neatly into the Warlord class and will carry weapons imbued with Fire magic. I've been sketchning stuff on napkins, but I don't have a scanner handy. I'll post art tonight, when I get home. GOOD LUCK!

SebastianPatric
02-20-2008, 05:25 AM
Here's a sketch. I wanted something a bit cartoonish, bust still badass. Obviously , I'll be doing a lot to this before I feel good enough about the design to start modeling anything. But its a start. Feedback is welcome. http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/9695/dw3concept02kg6.jpg

Loukor
02-20-2008, 05:28 AM
:O wicked, definately "jumbo."

veritech-z
02-20-2008, 05:29 AM
I like the giant arm, but i don't know if the judges will let you get away with that gun...it's a little high tech looking. Looking good so far though.

SebastianPatric
02-20-2008, 05:34 AM
Maybe if I work some clearly mechanical stuff like gears into the gun design it might be more acceptable. Ill also try to make the arm look more totem-like. thanks for the tips

LaughingBun
02-20-2008, 05:39 AM
the arm is wicked cool. I would keep working on the guy holding it though. He seems kinda generic and uninteresting right now.

veritech-z
02-20-2008, 05:41 AM
looking at it again, i'd be tempted to drop the gun altogether and focus on the mega-arm. it's going to be the centerpiece, so you may as well minimize the distractions. I agree with giving the character more character, he doesn't seem to fit the arm quite yet.

SebastianPatric
02-20-2008, 05:45 AM
Good Point. You guys are going to make me stay up LOL. I'll come up with something cool. Thanks for the critique.

samarcbz
02-20-2008, 05:46 AM
cool start man!
really nice stuff
love that hude arm. cat wait to see it in 3d:)

SebastianPatric
02-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Call this a mini update. Still feels kinda generic to me so I'll probably redraw the pose and revamp the body some more. I promisse the arm is going to get a whole lot more insane looking, but now I must sleep. http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/3735/dw3update1ge9.jpg

kobi
02-20-2008, 07:20 AM
Dude this is sweet I like the style, THe metal, forged skulls kind of has a mad max feel!! nice touch:buttrock:

SebastianPatric
02-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Ok, a character description might be in order. I've seen some other people on here doing this so I might as well.

Lets say he's some post apocalyptic biker dude cruising the vast wastelands of our native world (mad max style). The wastelands are beyond the grasp of the ancient and mysterious CgSociety - the ruling force on the planet, currently at war with 8 other worlds across the galaxy. When the ultimate weapon went off (whatever it was), it destroyed biker dude's bike and ruined his day. It also stranded him in the middle of the desert without supplies. But thanks to the powerful magic introduced into the world by the weapon, the unexpected happened. In the middle of nowhere, he came upon a grotesque totem. Dehydrated and delirious, he thought he heard a voice urging him to come closer. As he approached, the totem seemed to melt and fall appart. Before he knew it, the thing was uppon him and all around him. Terrible skulls of molten metal seared his flesh and fused with his body. He awakened days later, a gigantic metal arm with the power to spew fire, was now part of him. Somehow or other he became instantly patriotic and decided to fight on behalf of the CgSociety. There you go.

Anyway, that thing on his back that creates a counterbalance to the arm is a canon. And his gun shoots blasts of fire.

I'll post more sketches tonight. Stay tuned. If you have any design suggestions, don't hesitate to let me know.

Abstractcore
02-20-2008, 11:10 PM
Woah, incredible! Although I'd be tempted to make that cannon just a bit bigger to give it more counter balance against that huge arm (which looks badass by the way).

Great work!

Stinger88
02-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Nice..really like the oversizing!

I agreewith abstractcore here though, give him a nice big cannon. Something like Hellboys Samaritan springs to mind. I would say a biker type dude would go for a more western style revolver.

Great stuff though. keep it coming

erik_j
02-21-2008, 12:19 AM
fantastic concept! the punk/biker style seems excellently fitting :) even though the war is in a far future most seem to prefer more classic fantasy so this will probably be a unique entry!
I both agree on the gun being sort of high-tech looking and think you should focus on the huge arm instead and drop the gun. seems superfluous with the big arm and would rather think he can take any challenge with that arm.
I mean otherwise it's like surgicly attaching huge wings to yourself but still find you need to take the bus sometimes :P
hope to see more of this!

Anitarf
02-21-2008, 12:53 AM
Until I read your description I actualy thought he was a regular human carrying that huge arm artifact over his shoulder and that his left arm was just hidden behind it, but now I see that he and the artifact are fused and that he's actualy missing his original left arm. :) The concept is cool either way, those sunglasses were a great addition, they really add to this character. You might want to check what the latest ruling on artifacts is, last I read about it something was said about them needing to be handheld, but I can't remember the details. Your concept could very well be ok, but with the most recent rule updates it's best to get an official opinion when it comes to unconventional designs.

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2008, 12:53 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.