PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 3d - DrFx - Ice Queen

DrFx
02-17-2008, 11:27 PM
I know, "warlady" sounds absolutely ridiculous!
I'm pretty excited to enter this, I hope I can finish this on time, as I could really use a decent character in my portfolio!

The idea is to have a sort of female paladin with Ice blades in her gauntlets. I want her to wear some pretty heavy armor and possibly unreasonably sized blades.
Sketches coming soon!

Latest update - moving away from Paladin to Psychopath!
http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9200/icequeen3copyxl2.jpg

DrFx
02-17-2008, 11:57 PM
Well here's a first doodle. I'm not sure about helmet/hairstyle yet, the armor is only going to be heavy in places such as the blade gauntlets and perhaps boots, the rest will be sort of armatures with shells or something like that.
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/4563/bladegauntletcopyon4.jpg

DrFx
02-18-2008, 07:53 AM
Well, the top image was removed! Yikes!
Here's my idea for the smaller gauntlet:
http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/8942/icegauntletdetailiy3.jpg
It's blade could be some sort of retractable blade, attached to a chain like you see in the Heavenly Sword game.

DrFx
02-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Yeah I'm kind of just making stuff up as I go along! :)
I like the idea of the chain for the retractable blade going along the back into the gauntlet. The "device" that goes around the body is a bit obtrusive, so I guess it should either be quite bigger to allow some space for the head to turn, or it should be fitted as a back pack.
The helmet is a bit Sauron, but I'll try to work something out.
http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/9226/bladegauntlet01copytv6.jpg

HappyCookie
02-21-2008, 08:40 PM
Always nice to see a girl carrying blades bigger than her, plus the fact that those are ice blades, it could end up looking really nice.
Good choice also to give her an helmet, it'll save some precious polys that would have been eaten by hair.
About the chain, I think that you should go for the backpack version, because the current one doesn't seem to allow close combat movement, which could be a problem for a "Warlady".
Keep going, and good luck.

Xarxys
02-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Crystal blade arms awsome idea what is the overall color scheme goign to be like?

Airflow
02-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Crystal is an interesting take on rock.
Like to see how this pans out.

DrFx
02-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Heya!
Thanks, HappyCookie, Xarxys and Airflow!
The background story for the Artifact will be a Magic Gem that simbolizes the broken heart of an Ice Deity. The warrior will be equipped by two bladed gauntlets, and each one carries one half of the "Broken Heart". This will cause them to form self-regenerating ice blades, which can FREEZE their enemies (upon cutting them in half, of course! :) )

Cookie, the chained blade will wind around a cylinder on her arm, I guess it's the most practical idea I came up with.

I'm still not really sure about the color scheme, but I think I'll wear CGS colors. The "armor" will have three layers - one crude black steel with the spikes - the second, a more refined plating with some sort of decoration, probably silver on dark grey - the third some cloth and fur, probably dark burgundy for CGS and just to balance all the Ice and Steel blue.
Here's a WIP concept:http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/285/icequeen2copyna9.jpg

HappyCookie
02-22-2008, 06:28 AM
Really good update, especially on her armor : it looks way less "random", and gives personality to your character. And good idea to finally put the chain around her arm, even though as a backpack, you could have tried to incorporate some sort of a banner/symbol, as she's a paladin. But the cape is a nice addition. I can also see that as you said, you've let some part of her body "naked", I think that it's a good thing too, because it'll allow you to show her skin altered by her icy weapon, and it should be a really interesting effect to create/see.
Only thing that you might want to avoid is giving her armor a look that would be to evil, as she's supposed to be a paladin : I think the teeth part of her helmet, and the belt with the horny skull are, although it looks nice, a bit too evil sided for a paladin.

DrFx
02-22-2008, 08:28 AM
good points, HC, thanks!
I'm still not too sure about the cape cause I suck at cloth sim! :)
I guess I was just not picturing as a Paladin in the sense that although she's not necessarily evil, she's at least jaded and vengeful.
Her background story is not very important, because ever since wearing the Broken Heart stones, she's become overpowered by the Stones' will. The Ice Deity was betrayed by a lover, and thus became cold hearted and came to despise Humanity in general. I was thinking of giving her a steed like a mutated human - -> the betraying lover, whom she caught and tortured as vengeance for her suffering, but kept alive because of the feeling she still had for him.
Or something like that, but not too sure about the polycount (the thing not the forum!)

BluntPencil
02-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Looks good, in a kind of "dungeons and dragons, 1983"-kinda way...which isn't necesarrily bad, but will be hard work to do right. You seem to have it down though, so all the best. :)

Xarxys
02-22-2008, 01:11 PM
I agree with happy cookie. The armor does look really cool but it also looks kinda evil unless you wanted to change her away from a palidin?

DrFx
02-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Thanks, Blunt and Xarxys!
yeah, I guess she's leaning towards evil looking. I'm thinking of replacing the Skulls and demonic props with wolves and bears decoration, as an allusion to Polar climates... but no penguins or baby seals! :)
The color scheme will be dark gray, burgundy and silver, with a bit of ice blue glows.
She's got a ponytail atop the helmet, should the hair be blond, black or brown? Or even white/gray?

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/9200/icequeen3copyxl2.jpg

farazmobin
02-22-2008, 06:55 PM
badass helmet and those gators rock! :thumbsup:

Stinger88
02-22-2008, 11:19 PM
hey...looking great

I really like the big ass chains crossing her chest. Maybe you could try changing the 3 chains on her arm to a similar 1 big chain. Just to mirror it.

other than that i havent got much to say about it till I see more developement.

Keep it going dude :)

SashaP
02-23-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm loving the weapon and armor design, can't wait to see the finished piece

BluntPencil
02-23-2008, 12:15 PM
For some reason I'm seeing her armor as maybe have rather drab colors...the blacks and greys, maybe with a good deal of grime and caked, black blood...the red bit would be nice for the hair...and perhaps the eyes, if you want to go all the way. xD

HappyCookie
02-24-2008, 10:41 AM
Hey, good idea turning her into a psycho, it allows you to keep that nicely designed armor :D. As for her hair, I'd say go for white/frozen blue, to show her weapons really altered her, but that might also be a bit too obvious.
And the idea of having her lover's soul bind to her is cool, I think you should try to add that to your design, with maybe an object hanging from her armor, where the soul would be stuck, only able to wander around her armor.

DrFx
02-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Hello all, thanks for the comments!
here's a final update on the concept, not planning on developing much more than this for now, gonna just block it out in 3d later. enjoy!
http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/3301/icequeen34kh0.jpg

fouiny
02-26-2008, 05:27 PM
That's really nice. I like the big chains crossing her chest too. I can't wait too see the 3D model. Keep going !

HappyCookie
02-29-2008, 06:56 AM
Can't wait to see how it'll turn out in 3D, keep up the good work.

MartinNielsen
03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
He he, interesting armor there. It looks like she has a weak spot in the stomach. I'll aim there... :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-04-2008, 07:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.