PDA

View Full Version : Chain-up vector breaks when animating.

McKertis
02-17-2008, 09:55 PM
Something weird is going on, and i would really like to know the reason.

I am using a XSI 6.5 standard biped dog leg rig. I envelope my model, weight it, test the controls - everything is fine.

The moment i press "Set Key" button to start animating - the chain-up vectors on the arms break. I move the constrains - arms do not react at all. I set the rig to "Default Pose" - still broken. Reapply chain up on arms - no effect.

On the other hand, the legs chain up vectors are working fine...

Anyone know the possible solution to this ?

McKertis
02-21-2008, 07:29 AM
Any animators here ?

Jesse-Irvin
02-21-2008, 08:35 AM
when you say you hit set key are you using the synoptic button? if not, what are you keying? (translation, rotation?) and on what? (Bones, control objects?)

McKertis
02-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Okay, maybe i have omitted some details.
What i do is : keying is set to "character set", character set is the top "Biped Dog Leg" node,
and i try to do any kind of pose with most of control rig moved and rotated in some way. Bones "enveloped group" are hidden on their own layer. Then i just select all control objects (Implicit boxes) and press the Set Key icon in the main window.

Jesse-Irvin
02-21-2008, 09:16 PM
hrmmm I'm unable to recreate your problem. my up vectors continue to work without issue after keying many times with the character key set. I would double check in a fresh scene and see if you run into the same issue on the base rig. Sorry I don't think i can help tho :(

Jesse-Irvin
02-21-2008, 09:37 PM
I took another look, can you rotate your arm bones normally and save keys and have those work?

McKertis
02-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Yes, i can. IK on the arms work, FK works if i need to, everything works and gets keyed, except those specific chain-up vectors.
I tried to remove constrains from the arms and create new chain-ups - and those new ones dont affect the arms at all.

I experimented some more.
It seems to be something to do with character sets. Because if i use "Key all keyable" - chain-ups keep working.
I deleted all auto-created character sets and made my own, but the same thing happens again. It looks like there is something happening if i include arms and their chain-ups in the character set.

McNistor
03-02-2008, 01:04 PM
Hi
If you can share the scene (just the rigg) I will take a look. I have worked a lot with all kinds of riggs (default or self-made) and I might give you a solution to this.
You can post it here or you can email it to me: niscaty.at.gmail/yahoo

Gerald
03-03-2008, 08:36 PM
Yes, i can. IK on the arms work, FK works if i need to, everything works and gets keyed, except those specific chain-up vectors.
I tried to remove constrains from the arms and create new chain-ups - and those new ones dont affect the arms at all.

I experimented some more.
It seems to be something to do with character sets. Because if i use "Key all keyable" - chain-ups keep working.
I deleted all auto-created character sets and made my own, but the same thing happens again. It looks like there is something happening if i include arms and their chain-ups in the character set.

Hey there, This may be a something you have checked... but select all the bones in the chains that have problems after keying, make sure that no position keys are being saved to them.

Gerald
03-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I took another look, can you rotate your arm bones normally and save keys and have those work?

Hey Jesse, fancy meeting you here. ;)

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2008, 08:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.