PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 3D - Commander_Cool - Celeste

commander_cool
02-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Latest update (02/28/08) :

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/lt_smash57/celeste_concept07.jpg

Hey everyone!

It's my first Dominance War and my first project in a while. I've been working in previz for the last 4 years so, I'm not really in the low-poly/game art scene, but I wandered, watched and learned a lot these past years. I've done some hi-poly characters in the past, but the standards are so high now that what I did isn't really usable for a portfolio anymore. :cry: So, I thought this comp would be the perfect reason to catch up and learn the new techniques and tools.

Ok, so here's my character for the war.

Name : Celeste
Race : Birdmen/birdwomen
Class : Invoker
Weapon : Orb (air/lightning artifact) + Wind Blade(non-magical weapon)

Backstory

When she was just a kid, Celeste was peacefully living with her tribe, on a bunch of islands far on the ocean. She was a playfull child and was always looking for adventure. One day, she was flying around the cliffs and lost consciousness. She fell 500 feet and "landed" into the ocean, broking her left leg and damaging one of her wings. Her friends took her back to the village's nursery where her leg would be amputated and her wings taken care of. During the surgery, the doctors found a black spongious matter just under her skin, near the root of her wing. After many hours of discussion with the elders, it was decided that she would be exiled with no hope of returning, to protect the other people from catching the virus(or something) that obviously created that black matter, made her loose consciousness and may kill her eventually. So, her wings were amputated too, to prevent her from flying back home.

She was dropped in front of an orphanage far east, on the main land where she would be taken care of from now. She never died of the disease/curse, but her body was left stigmatised and black veins were growing slowly on her body. She felt something was different in her, but she didn't know what exactly. She became friend with brother/sister Kenjiro and Aiko. Together, they planned what they would do when they would be in age of leaving the orphanage. They would look for adventure, searching a cure for Celeste and looking for the parents of Aiko and Kenjiro. Many years later, the day finally came and they left the orphanage. They travelled from villages to villages for a while, doing every job they could find. They bought light armors, clothes, weapons, etc. While Celeste was in a little shop, looking for a weapon, she felt one was calling her. She bought it and left. That night, she almost killed Kenjiro. Her new weapon helped her gather the energy from inside her body and she accidentally sent a bolt of lightning in his direction. With this new discovery, they felt confident(but mostly freaked out!) for the next part of their adventure.

Weeks later, the CGSociety discovered a portal to another world. Enemies started coming from it, so they called for every warriors, magicians, peasant with forks available to push them back. They answered the call and joined the troops near the portal in wait of instructions.

-------------------------------------------------

Later, during the war, Celeste will eventually turn into a lightning dragon, the black veins tearing most of her skin apart to shape into giant black wings. Since we need to keep the gore at a reasonable level, I will stick with the pre-demonic/almost-normal girl.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/lt_smash57/celeste_concept01.jpg

Here's my first sketch. Concept/design is not my cup of tea, so any comment will be appreciated. By the way, on the first image, she has a mechanical leg(old dwarves knowledge). I think it looks really cool, but I guess it's kind of against the rules, even if I would say it purely gears and pneumatic, reacting to muscles movement, no electronic. What do you think? The second image is with the other leg mirrored. I also think the arms are a bit naked right now, maybe some leather wristbands.

Any comments?

I look forward to working with you, everyone! That will be a great war!!

commander_cool
02-18-2008, 09:38 PM
After some thinking, I decided to scrap the mechanical leg and replace it with a never-really-healed-but-still-there leg in a heavy-armored boot. I guess it won't be much different, since I will try to keep the general shape, but at least, it won't be against the rules.

I sketched some ideas for the weapon yesterday evening. I must say I'm not quite satisfied yet. The magical rod part looks fine, but the spear part is not at the same level on the cool-o-meter. :D

I'll work a bit more on those and I'll keep you updated!

Cheers!

laber
02-18-2008, 10:26 PM
hey commander, I really like the story!

the shape of the mechanical leg looks great, try to keep that shape with the armored boot. :)

commander_cool
02-18-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I guess I'm a tad geeky... :D

commander_cool
02-19-2008, 12:46 AM
Ok, so the weapon was going nowhere. After some time sketching, I came up with this. She would have one in each hand.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/lt_smash57/twin_blades.jpg

That's all for tonight, folks!

Loukor
02-20-2008, 12:21 AM
Cool stuff man, keep going with it.

commander_cool
02-21-2008, 12:51 AM
First, let me say I'm quite impressed with some entries we have here. I looked around a lot since sunday morning and some people's sketches are just plain :eek:

For my part, I took a break from the sketchbook and started modeling the high poly head. She will need a head whatever happens with the concept, so... :D

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/lt_smash57/headHi01.jpg

I did it kinda fast and didn't lose time on fine tuning. My first goal in entering this war was to learn zbrush, so I'll spend more time on it in there. The chin, nose and mouth will need special attention. Right now, she looks too mature and too boyish. But everything in good time... I need to finalize the concept and model the rest of the body first.

Back to the concept... I'm still not 100% satisfied with the weapon. The idea was that the girl used to fly, so she feels at ease up in the air, jumping, spinning, flipping... and she needs a lightweight weapon for that, preferably well-balanced. The rod/spear wasn't the best idea in that matter, but this one kind of fits in. Anyway, I guess I still have time to think about it.

Here's my schedule for the next 7 weeks.
The sketch and high poly model completed by March 10th (3 weeks)
The low poly model completed by March 17th (1 week)
Texturing completed by March 31st (2 weeks)
Renders and final images completed by April 7th (1 week)

Cheers!

Obmoc
02-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Nice concept man. The weapon looks crazy. I would adjust your concept of her a little. I started with a female lead that was very modern looking and not stylized enough. Now she's this mutant Chimera Killing machine to destroy the competition. Keep playing with the design you'll get it down I'm sure.

Obmoc
02-21-2008, 02:41 PM
If she has the ability to fly. Maybe adding wings isn't a bad idea. Or maybe springs since there are no machines. Don't do wings that have been done before. No demon wings. try something different like owls wings. Ohh this just came into my head. What about a jumping fish. She's like a mermaid and jumps out of the water and then swings her blades. maybe they should be boomerangs to add distance to the attacks.

commander_cool
02-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Hey Brock! Thanks for the comments, that's mucho appreciated!

I plan to work on her tonight. I'll have to add some details that's for sure. I will also draw her from the back to show what I thought the scars of her amputation would look like after some years... I thought about swirls of black veins that would grow and spread on her back.

By the way, I really like the idea of boomerangs. Razor sharp boomerangs that could also be used as blades when she's fighting a close enemy. I must also think that she sends bolts of lighting through her weapon. Maybe she could have a standard boomerang and another weapon that would be the real artifact. Maybe a staff or even a glove... I like the idea of her electrocuting people Emperor-style! :D

More coming soon!

commander_cool
02-23-2008, 01:24 AM
OK, I played a lot with the idea of a boomerang as the artifact. I draw some concepts while thinking that she should also be able to use it as a close-combat weapon (like a sword) and to send lightning bolts. After a while, I gave up the idea of the boomerang, since I wasn't able to come up with one that complies with all this and because you can't defeat an army of machines with a boomerang :D

So I finally decided that she would have a gauntlet that would be the artifact and a standard non-magical freakin' giant butter knife. For that, I used the silhouette of a boomerang I draw and turned it into a sword. So, it looks more like a can opener now. :) The general scale on the drawing is about right(maybe a bit bigger), but I'll have to scale down the handle.

Other changes... I dropped the idea of two different boots, now that I have the gauntlet to kill the symmetry. I also flushed the belt. It was fine from front, but not in the rear view. Finally, I added a leather wristband on the sword hand.

That's about it. I'm quite satisfied with the concept now. I'm still interested in comments though!! :bounce:

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/lt_smash57/celeste_concept02.jpg

Swizzle
02-23-2008, 06:24 AM
So, it looks more like a can opener now.You know the two things were that 90% of all robots said they were most afraid of?

EMPs and can openers.

Open a can o' whoopass, man, and get some more details like she has on her back in there; they look cool.

commander_cool
02-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Hehehe... that makes a lot of sense! :D My girlfriend used to say : "For carrots, rabbits are pure evil"!

I must admit I'm out of ideas for that girl... I will surely add some more veins in the final character and I would also like to add this swirling motif somewhere else in the design. Maybe somewhere on the blade, I don' know. Or carvings on the leg pads... but it will fight against the logo on the arm pad. I already tried drawing some similar motifs on the skirt, but it didn't turn out nice.

Any ideas anyone?

Morgado
02-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Heya

I think at the moment she needs a more distinguishable silhouette. As it is, looking from afar she doesnt look any different from the average joe.
Also, her shoulders seem to be broader than the hips, which is anatomically incorrect.

On the plus side, I'm really digging the tatoos, she could have more of that

Hope that helps :)

commander_cool
02-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Wow, I didn't see that, but yes, she's kind of "you could meet her at the corner of the street".

I will add some bloody cutted wings then. It doesn't fit in the story, but who cares? I think I tried too much to fit in there and it stopped me from doing some crazy things. I will have to go beyond those boundaries from now on.

And I will also look out to keep correct proportions.

This character is going forward... I like that! Thanks a lot, mate!!

IvikN
02-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Okay as u want some reply i get one :D
Excuse me if i doing it wrong.
1st - Your gurl have hair looks like a dirty unhealthy rag. U may do a more randomly placed curls for making her more ... um... gurly?
2nd - arms no need so much muscle, cause we have an agile girl here - not a tank.
3rd - her shoulder arms must be narrower than the thigh. But u have vise versa situation. She looks like masculine shemale. Pump her arse pumppump :D
4th - a corset and bra is fine, but it would be more elegant and kewl with many detailed form on it.
http://pics.livejournal.com/ivik_nier/pic/0002p5rs
My scythe must be not so functional - cause i'm complete nerd in weapons and their usefulness. But hey isnt that crap looks epic? :3
And - i'm not professional CG-biatch :D so i may be wrong. See bah yerself

Swizzle
02-23-2008, 03:50 PM
I agree with just about everything IvikN's saying, except for the sword. The original concept looked really interesting on its own; I don't think you need to change much about it.

IvikN
02-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Well i'm always failed with weapons D:

Dont burn meh plxktnx >:3

anywho - i think that gurl need something else with that sword. Cause its like she is half empty\half filled. Like an Double swords? shield? Or just something on her shoulder - like coat with steel ornament on edge, or Shoulder armor.

commander_cool
02-23-2008, 06:37 PM
Wow, that's a lot of stuff to digest. God, I have so much to learn in term of character design... But hey! that's why I entered the comp! :)

Ok, so I'll have to think about some more feminine hairdo, a new corset with more details, a shoulder pad(maybe a big one on the gauntlet arm, to balance the sword) and finally, more idealistic proportions. That sounds all great. It looks like I started too much low-profile, but I'll try to focus on all those comments to improve her. Thanks a lot for your time IvikN. :D

IvikN
02-23-2008, 06:57 PM
Thats okay as u ask for help. I cant help many Artists here cause i'm to low for them. But one who can get my overpaints or critique - its always welcome.

ABout gauntlet - its would be nice if u avoid doubling a gauntlets that allmost half forum has on their chars. D: Its kinda sux. Make it not like POWA GAUNTLETS OF STRENGHT . but just clothes big fluffy gauntlet :D

commander_cool
02-23-2008, 07:07 PM
I'm overpainting my own drawing right now(I'm tired of redrawing, erasing, scanning, etc.), so I will try to get some gloves/gauntlets concepts done for her. I agree with you that some people already did that here, but I liked the idea of her electrocuting people from her hand, like the Emperor. I even found the perfect winning pose. Anyway, I'll work on that. Thanks!

commander_cool
02-23-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm off for the night, but I wanted to post that quick update. I still need to add a shoulder pad on the left shoulder, details on the corset/torso(or even rethink that part from scratch), etc.

Cheers!

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/lt_smash57/celeste_concept03a.jpg

IvikN
02-24-2008, 09:02 AM
U doing all well. Axly those boots with assimetric looking is quite nice idea - u can go further with it and make boots more different between each other. And with that kind of hairdo she starts reminds me an Janne D'Ark. :D

Is it cuted wings on her shoulders?

commander_cool
02-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Hehehe.... those boots are a mistake. I did one and thought that I had more urgent things to think about in the torso area and forgot about the left boot.

By the way, I'm thinking about changing all those straps things to shoelaces. She's getting kinda gothic S&M and I would prefer her to be swift and elegant. And I also think about changing the gauntlet artifact to a simple orb. I saw a bunch of entries with gauntlets, so it doesn't feel unique at all.

I'll try those today, to see if it's a good idea on paper.

commander_cool
02-24-2008, 06:56 PM
Sorry for the crappy drawing... but it's faster this way. :)

The wing will be bigger, even in the front view... I didn't have enough space. She now has a regular glove and will be holding a orb(the artifact) in her left hand and the sword in the other hand. She still needs some details, maybe some motifs here and there, but I'll have to let my head cool off a bit before. :D

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/lt_smash57/celeste_concept03b.jpg

commander_cool
02-29-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey everyone!

I've been quite busy these past days working on the concept. I made several versions of her, all very different. I even tried a "goth" version... :rolleyes: It seemed hopeless, but I finally came up with something that, I think, is quite interesting. It's the best I did so far and that's the one I'll go with. I'm in the 3D comp after all! I need to start if I ever want to finish... :D

Thanks to everyone who helped me at this stage, I learned a lot.

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg297/lt_smash57/celeste_concept07.jpg

IvikN
02-29-2008, 05:09 AM
Thats quite better than u have at start! Nice work!

commander_cool
02-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Thanks man! I really like your entry so far, by the way!

IvikN
02-29-2008, 05:58 PM
tnx.
Btw - arse of your gurl is still thin :\ make it bigger a little. (i mean in 3D model - u can skip changes at sketch, for not wasting your time)

CGTalk Moderation
02-29-2008, 05:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.