PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 3D - Dmonk - Stalker

dmonk
02-17-2008, 06:45 PM
I'm in. Heres an inspiration\concept sheet. I block out a rough base mesh in XSI this morning. the character is based on the mice from the comic Mice Templar (great book!).

Race: Mouse-ish
Class: Stalker
Artifact/Weapon: Vegetation/Bow

Does CGsociety have a team insignia/color? I'll have to work fast, so I'll pot the base mesh a little later once I clean it up for sculpting.

dmonk
02-18-2008, 12:53 AM
All quad base for first sculting pass. 3984 tris.

nielot
02-18-2008, 08:34 AM
HI
sweet concept :)
cool basemesh...hmmmm waiting for more :bounce:
good luck :)
cheers

dmonk
02-18-2008, 09:37 AM
HI
sweet concept :)
cool basemesh...hmmmm waiting for more :bounce:
good luck :)
cheers

Thanks more to come soon. Hopefully sometime tonight if I get a chance.

Swizzle
02-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Holy hell. That's some fast work! It'll be great to see where you go with him.

dmonk
02-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Holy hell. That's some fast work! It'll be great to see where you go with him.

Thanks..........

Having a 4 month old has taught me to be efficient with my free time. I don't have a ton of time to mull over the concept or the luxury of having until the deadline to actually finish so whe I get a chunk of time I need to motor. Like right as I post It's 5 am (baby woke up at 3am :cry: ), since I was up anyway I started figuring out my charactes outfit.

ANyone else think the 9000 triangle budget to be extremely generous? I'm loving it.

Digiegg
02-18-2008, 12:25 PM
Yo Dmonk! You fighting for CGS too? Haha. Good to see you here mate!

dmonk
02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Yo Dmonk! You fighting for CGS too? Haha. Good to see you here mate!

Always up to lend some of my Kung Fu to CGS.:deal: :bounce:

Lets hope I finish this time, shouldn't be a problem now that I have my new system.

dnk
02-18-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey, What's up man!
Glad to see you :D

dmonk
02-18-2008, 01:16 PM
Hey, What's up man!
Glad to see you :D

Wad up! Are you in this too?

You know what's sad, i've turned into a lurker on this forum these days instead of an active participant. It's way to big for me these days.

dnk
02-18-2008, 01:32 PM
I'm not.
I'll worry about you. :bowdown:

dmonk
02-18-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm not.
I'll worry about you. :bowdown:

Too bad, your last entry was great! I'll do my best to make you proud.

dmonk
02-19-2008, 01:52 AM
Blocking out clothes and accessories.

GavinG
02-19-2008, 02:11 AM
Looks very cool man, I like where it's going, for sure :) I too think the 9000k limit is generous, I thought 7 was a little weak, especially for 2048 textures...so, it seems more fitting. I'm actually trying to think of things to fill up the budget, hehe :P

Keep it up mang!
Gav

Airflow
02-19-2008, 03:09 AM
Hey pretty good work. I decided this time to have a bit more fun and go a touch more toony myself so Im liking your entry. Lets hope nobody makes a catknight.

dmonk
02-19-2008, 03:31 AM
Looks very cool man, I like where it's going, for sure :) I too think the 9000k limit is generous, I thought 7 was a little weak, especially for 2048 textures...so, it seems more fitting. I'm actually trying to think of things to fill up the budget, hehe :P

Keep it up mang!
Gav

Thanks I still have more than 3000 tris to spare after what you see posted.

About the texture maps, everything needs to go on 1 sheet? Never did that before. I'll fogure it out I suppose.

dmonk
02-19-2008, 03:33 AM
Hey pretty good work. I decided this time to have a bit more fun and go a touch more toony myself so Im liking your entry. Lets hope nobody makes a catknight.

Thanks, Mine isn't going to be as intese as the other. Do a search on "Mouse guard" and "Mice Templar" and think of something in between to get an Idea of where I'm going with this.

dmonk
02-20-2008, 12:25 PM
So far these are the basics of the character. I still have 2200 tris on my buget to work with for extras.

nielot
02-20-2008, 02:05 PM
HI
cool really cool :)
looking for sculpt :)

Rezeroth
02-20-2008, 02:12 PM
sweet!! I think it's really a original concept! 5 stars from me.. Reminds me a lil of the flying monkey in avatar :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My DW (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=597980)
My Deviantart (http://numioh.deviantart.com/)

dmonk
02-20-2008, 02:22 PM
HI
cool really cool :)
looking for sculpt :)

Thanks!

Todays my Birthday and I'm going out for dinner, so there might not be any updates tonight. I should start on the sculpt for the body by tomorrow night at least.

dmonk
02-20-2008, 02:24 PM
sweet!! I think it's really a original concept! 5 stars from me.. Reminds me a lil of the flying monkey in avatar :D
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My DW (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=597980)
My Deviantart (http://numioh.deviantart.com/)

Thanks! The base is going to be a quarter section of a tree and he will be perched on a branch.

dmonk
02-22-2008, 04:33 AM
Started sculpting on the face, still needs a lot of work.

thejaybird
02-22-2008, 05:41 AM
I like it. Im glad to see a little more detail. I can see where you are going with this now. Keep us updated. and good luck using up those tris!

dmonk
02-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I like it. Im glad to see a little more detail. I can see where you are going with this now. Keep us updated. and good luck using up those tris!

Thanks! I should make some major progress this weekend.

bradjames
02-22-2008, 12:54 PM
hahah this is a fun looking model. He is coming to life now with the sculpting.

dmonk
02-24-2008, 04:34 AM
Thanks Brad!

I didn't get as much time as I wanted to work on this today but here is a small update.

Airflow
02-24-2008, 07:59 AM
I love how its getting more detailed.

NoirQ
02-24-2008, 09:13 AM
brilliant concept, nice progress as well :)

dmonk
03-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Just need to update with hosted images.

http://www.dmonk.net/Web_uploads/DominanceWar/dw3_1.jpg

http://www.dmonk.net/Web_uploads/DominanceWar/dw3_2.jpg

http://www.dmonk.net/Web_uploads/DominanceWar/dw3_3.jpg

http://www.dmonk.net/Web_uploads/DominanceWar/dw3_4.jpg

More updates later tonight......promise...........

dmonk
03-01-2008, 05:38 AM
Some work on the body and still trying to figure out the clothes.

http://www.dmonk.net/Web_uploads/DominanceWar/dw3_5.jpg

madshooter
03-06-2008, 06:47 AM
Hey thats a nice concept:). I like your idea of him as stalker, he can run fast and jump very quickly, Cool. How about no clothes but adding fur with alpha planes. And some light armour. Nice progress All the best:thumbsup:

The Flork
03-06-2008, 09:07 AM
awesome! i cant wait to see the armor! you should give him claws like The Berenstain Bears.

dmonk
03-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I ditched the shirt already and started on some light armor. The Bow will have seeds embedded in it that act as a power source and the arrows will have seeds in the tips that implant and grow vegetation in various ways when the strike. The fur will be strict textures with maybe a few alpha planes if I can get them to look right. The base will be a cross section of a tree (for now).

BloodTaster
03-06-2008, 02:35 PM
great concepts man, like your style a lot. The model is getting great too, can't wait to see finished!
cheers

dmonk
03-10-2008, 04:50 AM
Thanks Bloodtaster! Here's the outfit switched up a bit.http://www.dmonk.net/Web_uploads/DominanceWar/dw3_6.jpg

Justame2002
03-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Happy birthday Dmonk..! Yeah, i can imagine having kids can make it hard if not impossible to commit to any cg challenges. I really like what you've got so far. As far as crits go, wouldn't invest much time in the definition of the anatomy, looking at the comic book(very Mike Mignola/Hellboy style btw.), it's very basic shape with some fur and simple armour(not overtly muscled), about the armour, maybe add a cape (to make it more dynamic when posed) and some sort of straps/sandals around the feet, the tip of the ears could be a bit more pointy as well, otherwise really nice work Dmonk.
Finally recieved my new system, damn..it's fast as hell. I'm still interested to do a fight club challenge anytime over at the tweak forums, but first things first..! LOL Take care man.

dmonk
03-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Happy birthday Dmonk..! Yeah, i can imagine having kids can make it hard if not impossible to commit to any cg challenges. I really like what you've got so far. As far as crits go, wouldn't invest much time in the definition of the anatomy, looking at the comic book(very Mike Mignola/Hellboy style btw.), it's very basic shape with some fur and simple armour(not overtly muscled), about the armour, maybe add a cape (to make it more dynamic when posed) and some sort of straps/sandals around the feet, the tip of the ears could be a bit more pointy as well, otherwise really nice work Dmonk.
Finally recieved my new system, damn..it's fast as hell. I'm still interested to do a fight club challenge anytime over at the tweak forums, but first things first..! LOL Take care man.

Thanks.

I sneak in time here and there on this, sometimes she even sits with me at my desk and "helps", she into slamming her hands on my new keyboard.

I might add a cape of sorts when all is said and done, I still have tris left in the budget. The ears will get fix they just sort of rounded out when I upped the smoothing level in Mudbox for sculpting.

I have a crap load of ideas for fight clubs over on tweak, but like you said, first things first.

tonykidd237
03-10-2008, 04:31 PM
Interesting idea with this one… you don’t usually see many mouse warriors. I like what you have so far. Are you still experimenting with dif looks or have you settled for the archer variant?

dmonk
03-10-2008, 04:56 PM
Interesting idea with this one… you don’t usually see many mouse warriors. I like what you have so far. Are you still experimenting with dif looks or have you settled for the archer variant?

I'm sticking with the archer for the sake of time. Like I said I only get to sneeak in some time on this every once in a while with my 5 month old, wife and full time job competing for time. I thought it would be cool to go in a different direction with this, but there are some truly outstanding entries so far.

farazmobin
03-10-2008, 05:20 PM
nice progress !...the character reminds me danger mouse..good stuff !:thumbsup:

BloodTaster
03-10-2008, 10:03 PM
nice update man! looking foward to see your progress on the outfit details, keep it up!
cheers

dmonk
03-10-2008, 10:51 PM
Sorry guys, but it's time to unleash my secret weapon. :deal:

http://www.dmonk.net/Web_uploads/DominanceWar/secret_weapon.jpg

ChrRambow
04-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Haha i love your concept.

Just a small suggestion ... you could make the legs a littlebit stronger/wider and more muscular in their apperiance.

As to your secret weapons ... Congratulation ... what a cute one ... i got a similar secret weapon since January 15th 2008 :) :thumbsup:

Ah before i forget ... another suggestion:
Don't let them play too much with your equipment ... because you will never get your hands on when they grew up :D

CGTalk Moderation
04-01-2008, 11:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.