View Full Version : DWIII - 3D - Obmoc - Chimera

Obmoc
02-17-2008, 05:06 PM
Name: Caiden Storm
Race: Human
Class: Warlord
Artifact : Medallion
Ability: Air/Lightning

Description: Caiden Storm is a member of a secret organization known as the CG Society. She is humanity's best chance at survival. She posesses the ability to use lightning because of a medailion found while exploring a worm hole. Lighting should be greatly successful against this new machine threat coming out of the ground. Her primary weapon is a bow and arrow. She has the abilities to arch lighting to her arrows. Her bow also folds into a double sided blade for close combat. She will be very stealth spy looking. She attacks with precision and silence. She has an animal companion. I'm currently not sure what it will be. I am leaning toward a Siberian Tiger. Hit me up with feedback!!

Obmoc
02-17-2008, 05:35 PM
I noticed there are several people in here. What do you guys think of my idea. I'll post sketches today.

Xarxys
02-17-2008, 05:46 PM
You have a good thought out story line and I like the Siberian tiger companion idea. :)

GavinG
02-18-2008, 05:49 AM
Very cool idea man. Siberian tiger sounds cool, although for stealth maybe a Panter? Though, that could be tough to pull off since it's all black :S

Gav

Obmoc
02-18-2008, 02:58 PM
Gavin, I too was thinking about the panther. but what would you guys and gals think about a monkey. I could see the monkey droppin in and take weapons from people. It would funny. Siberian Tiger sounds cooler, but a monkey would be kinda funny.

On another note. Here is a concept sketch. Let me know what ya think. I'm not sure I like the harness that wraps around the front of her. It is going to attach to her arrow bag. Right now the way it is, it looks very manga.

Obmoc
02-18-2008, 03:39 PM
Here is a High Poly Render.

Obmoc
02-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Here is a revision to the initial sketch. I've given her some shooting glasses like Mr. and Mrs smith. I also got rid of the manga looking torso for a splinter cell type vest. What do you guys think?

Obmoc
02-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Ok so I thought I would gather some references for the Tiger and draw some test runs. I'm not sure what I what I should give the tiger for armor and such. I'm thinkin Caiden can ride the tiger bare back. The reason I said ride is because they weigh like 900 pounds and are like 13 feet long. Any way here is the image. Please give some advice on what to do to the tiger.

laber
02-18-2008, 09:56 PM
hey obmoc, the tiger-sketches lookin' great! but I think you have to give them a more individual/stylized feeling, like more war-like colorsheme, and as you said amor! war is hard. :)

for caiden, I think she looks too modern, she lacks the mystic and magical theme the contest is about, donīt you think?

Obmoc
02-18-2008, 10:35 PM
we'll the way I interpreted the story it seemed like it was a very modern world with modern stuff. The only down fall is no tech. Hence the modern design. Not stuck with the way it is though. I'm still changing things around. So I thought the futuristic or modern character able to use magic was what I was shooting for.

Obmoc
02-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Ok so after careful inspection of everyone else's entries and rereading the requirements for the war. I feel a major rework of Caiden's design is needed because she lacks that fear aspect. I will post the rework today. She will now be an invoker, and her companion will be a Chimera instead of a tiger.

Obmoc
02-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Ok here is an update. Attached is concept sketch and a low poly version of the model I am working now. So the idea is she will float behind her animal companion in the sky strapped to the cross. Chains will link her to the Chimera like a leash. Instead of the bow and arrow she will conjure high wind and bad weather etc. lightning from her purch in the sky. The eyes of the faces on the cross will glow. Her attire will still be her modern spy gear, but it will be battered and torn.

The story is similar to before, but now the artifact she finds posesses her turning her into a killing machine. Let me know what you guys think.

Airflow
02-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Ok, I suggest dropping the cross, its impractical.
She is supposed to be an invoker. Maybey do some reaserch into Godesses, maybey give her charateristics of the chimera, cats eyes, mane, claws. Also try to make the chimera otherworldly, not just a Lion, but somthing thats new, that we havent seen before.
Keep going, you will get your concept working great, and it will help when it comes to the 3d model.

Obmoc
02-21-2008, 01:45 PM
So in this version the female character actually becomes Chimera. This looks more demonic and evil. I feel it looks more unique than the previous concepts it also portrays the magic theme better. What do you guys think. How do the huff legs look? Are the extra arms in the right spot. What kind of weapons should I give her. Behind her is going to be a dream catcher. I was thinkin about trying to incorporate the other forums logos on the spheres around the dream catcher. I was thinking I could make the spheres skulls and etch each forums logo on the forehead of a skull. There will be feathers of our forum's colors hanging from the dream catcher. Our logo will be on her clothing. I'm thinkin all use one of Aeons logos as a pattern for fabric. For her weapons she will have swords in each hand.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to model the snake tail? currently I am setting up circles and am going to loft the curve. Is there a better way to do it? let me know. Also does anyone no where tutorials for modeling weapons and armor can be found? I just want to see what the work flow is like. Is the armor a seperate piece or is it pulled out of the base mesh? Just wondering?

Anyway heres a couple screen shots.

Obmoc
02-21-2008, 02:27 PM
Here is another shot with some armor and swords included.

Obmoc
02-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Ok here is another shot with the snake form started. I should hopefully get this stuff in Mudbox soon. Need some crit. I'm here to win.

Obmoc
02-21-2008, 08:02 PM
Ok here it is so far. Mudbox is approaching soon. Right now I only have 8003 Triangles. I am in the process of adding planes to represent leather straps, hair, and feathers. You know the detail stuff. I was going to maybe flesh out the snake a bit more but I figure it can be done in Mudbox. Have we decided on the forum logo yet? What should I do with all those extra tri's any ideas? Please crit be nice or be brutal. I can take it.

Update to the story!!

Ok so the spy check above went through a worm hole to save the CG Race and give us the upper hand in battle. In the process she found some animal remains. Specifically she found a tooth which happens to be from the Chimera. She wears it around her neck. It gives her the ability to control the fire that the snake breathes "like a flame thrower".

Swizzle
02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
A per your request, here are some comments and crits:

The snake needs some lovin'. You still have some tris to pile on this thing, so make the snake feel like it's an integral part of the design; give it details, change its position so it feels like it's not just some random pet that slithers along behind its master, give it some style and personality.

The main character seems kind of spindly and thin. While this is not necessarily a problem in itself, you're going to have to make the texture really pop if she's going to look threatening at all. One thing you might consider is giving her a huge weapon that looks like it would be impossible for someone of her size to carry; juxtapositions like that have a way of making a character more interesting. Something else to consider is that characters who look like they're teetering on a single point look more dynamic because they seem like they could move at any moment.

The object attached to her back looks interesting, but its design is not reflected anywhere else in the character or her weapons. Try to tie things together; build a language by which you may read the character.

Good luck!

aeonseraph
02-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Here is my opinion as you requested :)

Well to be honest Swizzle have already mentioned everything that i would. Dunno what more i could say. The only thing i can add here is about anatomy of your character. My suggestion here is to shorten her legs a little bit. Otherwise they look too long and it seems like she could barely stand, especially when there is this huge thing on her back. And about snake... it looks too big comparing to character, don't you think? Overall i sugest to work out on proportions between elements comparing to character. But that's my personal opinion. :)

Anyway, good start for you, keep it up soldier :thumbsup: Wish you luck.

aeonseraph
02-21-2008, 09:46 PM
sorry for double post, something is wrong with internet today. :banghead:

Obmoc
02-21-2008, 10:43 PM
I think she appears to be tall. I want her to tower over the competition. That's why the legs are long. big heaping animal legs with a sexy female bod. I thought the dream catcher added to her monstrosity and gave her a sweet silhouette. The snake needs to be big its the animals tail. What do you guys think. I'm still playing around with sizing like you both suggested.

Obmoc
02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
Sorry Guys and Gals, My wife and I have been moving for the passed several days into our new home. I will post some new designs in the next day or so. Can't wait to show you the new look.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2008, 02:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.