View Full Version : DWIII - 3d - jramauri - Ms Van Nadmor

jramauri
02-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Last update:

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/last_update.jpg

jramauri
02-18-2008, 04:38 PM
So, let the fun begin.

I know that during this war, there will be three kind of competitors: Those who make enormous and monstruous guys, those who make bizarre monsters, and those who make hot babes, with giant boobs. I don't want to make anything of this, my goal is to make a little girl, about 10 yo.

The idea is: she carries a brush on her back, as if it were a sword. On her left hand, she carries a little paint bucket, with magic ink. When she's envolved in a battle, she can use the brush and ink to sketch rapidly in the air a creature from her imagination, to attack her enemies. So, she's a invoker, summoner.

There goes my first and generic sketch.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_01.jpg

The main challenge to me is to make a little girl attractive for game audience. I don't know yet what I can make to let her visually competitive with the other powerfull guys that will arise during the war.

So, advices from experienced concept artists are pretty welcome.

Leshiy3d
02-18-2008, 07:04 PM
hi
this is pretty cute I think, and I like it, but too cute for DW
should be something brute, otherwise "they" will not like it
thats just my opinion

btw, good luck to you :thumbsup:

REKLAS
02-18-2008, 08:02 PM
I like your idea behind this character a lot. I can imagine her in a game using her magic and painting/creating/summoning creatures to fight her battles and it would look really awesome, but as a stand alone character you don't really get that feeling that she could summon the most massive, deadliest creature ever to destroy her enemies.

Maybe you could add some swirling paint around her to show off her magical powers, and within the swirling colors there could be hints at all different sorts of deadly creatures. Maybe have heads or claws popping out of the paint all around her as if she's about to summon a creature and her mind is considering which one to choose and you see evidence of that throughout the paint.

Just an idea.

jramauri
02-19-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks for your comments, fellows. I agree with you, brute designs will take advantage over mine. She's in fact pretty cutie, as a little girl should be. The only way to change this is to do what everybody will do on DW: cover her with a heavy armor, change her weapon for something bigger and heavier, desaturate her color, give a bad girl face to her, etc.

Although this sound great, I'm not feeling tempted to give a brute or evil appearence to her. I like you idea though, Reklas, to make her power show off just at on glance. I'm yet thinking how to make magic lights around her, as a manifestation of her imagination. I'm trying to reshape her silhouette too, to give more volume to her. New sketches soon.

jramauri
02-19-2008, 06:27 PM
There goes an idea to help the overall silhouette to look bigger.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_02.jpg

jramauri
02-21-2008, 07:49 PM
I did a lot of minor modifications, to give her more volume and spirit of a warrior. I tried to make her silhouette more appealing too. The drawing isn't finished yet, so C&C are welcome.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_03.jpg

hakanpersson
02-22-2008, 06:01 AM
Hey, very nice sketches (the last 2). I like the idea of her being a summoner or something similiar. Even if this is war, its after all not very different from any rpg, and we need some mages dont we?:) About the last concept, I dont like the boots, they look a bit too bulky for the rest of her.
But I like it so far!

Nihilicon
02-22-2008, 06:51 AM
Nice concept and great quality artwork. I think the comments about needing to see more of the summoning element are probably on target - maybe you could add the ghost image of a summoned minion standing behind her (with a 'just painted' look). Its great to see something so different from the usual fps clones.

SheriffNotic
02-22-2008, 06:53 AM
Wow, she is adorable! I like the color choice a lot. I think her ink bucket should be a little bigger, as it stands now, her brush wouldn't even really fit in it, just the tip maybe. I'll definitely be following your thread. Not too many people attempt a young girl for this competition, I tried last year although I didn't finish so I'm rooting for you! Keep up the great work, I can't wait to see more.

jramauri
02-22-2008, 01:06 PM
hakanpersson: Thanks. I like summoners very much because they don't have to be super-heavy-powerful chars. A simple little girl can handle big creatures, if her magic is strong. And besides that it seems 95 % of people are doing warlords for DW, so let's try someting different. About the boots, I made them bulky because I'm trying to give her more volume. Children look cutier when they use large clothes, so that's the point of make her sleeves and boots so big. But I'l rethink about, and maybe reduce them a bit.

Nihilicon: Thanks, my friend. I considered to make a spirit, or something like this behind her, but I found that when she's riding the frog, it would be many people on stage... But I do agree that her magic powers should appear more. I didn't find the exact way yet, but I believe I'll get a good solution for this.

SheriffNotic: Thanks for your tips and encouragement. I think I'm going to eliminate her paint bucket, because the pincel now is bigger than the initial idea, and it would be difficult for a little girl handle both during a battle. Maybe the ink could be spiritual and flow directly from her mind to the the brush. BTW, can you give the link for your last year's thread?

More updates soon. I hope I can still counting on you.

DrFx
02-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Hi, Amauri! Stylish sketches, I like the manga influence and the European-style clothing.
The fact that it's a little girl is also original and would fit well in Japanese RPG games.
She looks too normal (for a Summoner) though, could be more supernatural looking I think!
Cheers! Boa sorte!

AlexMarik
02-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Very nice my friend, i like the clothes and the cute style, for a summoner is very fine!!!

See ya!

SheriffNotic
02-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Eliminating the paint bucket might be best, yeah. Besides, I don't see any reason why a magic brush can't use magic ink that just magically appears! In a way her power reminds me a little bit of Okami. I can't wait to see your next update!

My character from last year was a bit older then yours but still much younger then the norm. You can take a look at that here... Dominance War II - Last Year's Entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=219&t=461719)

Looking at that now, It hurts my eyes. I've come a long way since then :p Check out my 2D entry this year Dominance War III - 2D Entry (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=4964251), it's a fairly young girl (teen/early twenties) and she is a summoner too. Maybe our characters can be friends ^_-

Let's do our best and WIN THIS WAR!!

SashaP
02-23-2008, 10:06 AM
I really like her outfit design, wonderful character too. It reminds me of the Red mages frm Final Fantasies

nathanmckenna
02-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Hey jramaur, I like the whole idea of doing something innocent looking, it must be so easy for her enemies to underestimate her - thats how she wins in the end!

I really love the hair and the costume design. Maybe the boots look a little out of place in terms of costume, maybe too space age, needs more buckles and lace - but the shapes are great and really compliment each other.

Pretty good if I do say so myself - i'll be following you. :thumbsup:

Matellis
02-23-2008, 10:55 AM
Hey jramauri , the concept you have going on here is looking ace. I agree with Nathan about the boots . Keep it up :D

Cheers

BluntPencil
02-23-2008, 12:35 PM
Looks great! Very Alice in Wonderland, which is always cool. The frog-mount is lovely.

jramauri
02-23-2008, 01:06 PM
DrFx: I'm working on her supernatural appearence, looking for good references in games, and already sketching some ideas. On next update, I believe she'll look more super than now. Obrigado!

AlexMarik: Nice to see you here, my friend. I hope you start your model soon, to kick some asses for CGsociety. I'm sure you're going to do your best. :thumbsup:

SheriffNotic: Hey man! A friend has told me about Okami. But luckly he's a wolf, not a girl... Unfortunately, today it seems any idea we have, everyone has already had, so it's pretty hard to be 100% original.

I've seen your concepts, for last year and the current. They are all pretty good, man. It's a pitty you have stopped so early last year. I hope you can go until the end this time. I'll be following your development. Thanks for your reply.

SashaP: Thanks man. Your 2d concept is geting really good too, I'm following your progress.

nathanmckenna: Yeah, I agree, the enemies will fall without even see from where the blow came from. Never underestimate the little ones :)

About the boots, well, I'm trying to make her clothes in a consistent military look. This is the reason for the leather, and metal on them. Some friends have suggested me to use laces and feminine elements on her clothes, but I think they are too fragile for battles. My intention is to let her using heavier fabrics and leather. But I'm making some modification on her boots, using mukluk boots as reference. They are pretty cutie, and have the same shape I designed. These are some samples of mukluk boots, for those who don't know how they look:

http://www.utopiaquest.com/mukluks/hilton_mukluk.jpg

http://www.eglifarm.com/images/HighMukluk07.jpg

Matellis: Thanks man, I'm trying to make my best. Let's win this war!
BluntPencil: Thanks, I know someone would like the frog! Hehe!

New updates soon...

jramauri
02-23-2008, 07:39 PM
And there goes an update on her concept. Let me know what you guys think.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_04.jpg

V-Max
02-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Beautiful concept man. You paint well

good luck

RahMorais
02-24-2008, 02:12 AM
dahmn bro, thats simply awesome! love the colors, gears, hair, everything really....
my only crit goes to the big brush, think you could give some more work on the handle and the fur thing, its kinda looking to ordinary right now..

now bring that toad to the battlefield =]
good lucky mate!
cya

mestizo
02-24-2008, 07:20 PM
character looking really good, can't wait to see the model

DDS
02-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Very nice concept! Apparently if you are from Brazil you have to be an amazing 2D artist.

Somehow it reminds me of a mixture between THIS (http://www.anime-wallpapers.ws/anime/card-captor-sakura/Card_captor_sakura-004.jpg) and THIS (http://www.ffodyssey.com/wallpapers/ff9/04customwallpaper_zidane_eye.jpg) :D

jramauri
02-25-2008, 03:14 AM
V-Max: Thanks, my friend. Has you entered the DW too?

rart: As you can see below, I'm bringing the frog to the war. Don't worry about the brush, it will have details along the handle and on the metalic part, I'm going to draw the smallest details after the frog. Thanks for your comment, man.

mestizo: Thanks, man. Your concept and drawing style are killers, as I've seen in your thread, it's an honor to hear that from you.

DDS: Hehehe, thanks. I'm sure there are many amazing 2d artists on India too.
Yeah, I'm a long time fan of Card Captors Sakura, and all Clamps works. I think they influence me even when I'm not thinking on them...

There goes an up, showing the frog. It's on beggining yet, but I'm publishing to hear some opinions.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_05.jpg

The war continues tomorrow.Thanks for the continuous support, my friends.

dmightyone
02-25-2008, 03:28 AM
i really like it, the whole frog rider idea is awesome, it feels like it just came out of a fairytale! its good to see a totally different aproach like that! keep it up!

otima ideia cara, bastante original, muito boa sorte aeh!

RahMorais
02-26-2008, 11:57 PM
come on, give us some updates!

V-Max
02-27-2008, 12:30 AM
very good

gostei do sapinho ..hehe
acho que vou entrar sim kara. minha idéia ta simples, mas mesmo assim vou entrar pra brincar tambem...
abraços

Sanislov
02-27-2008, 12:32 AM
nice idea:) Frog rider girl:D I will wathing it:)

kenjitsu
02-27-2008, 12:51 AM
I really like the concept on the girl, it is very nice, details and mood. Awesome. Idea of a frog rider is fun, thou I don't feel the same quality in the frog as in the girl at the moment but as you said it's just your initial sketch. You 3D guys have much to handle... 2d and then struggle with the 3d too. I feel very unskilled when I can't do 3D. :)

jramauri
02-27-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks for your replies, guys. No updates by now, because I'm changing my pc, and spending some time to format discs, intall softs, copy files from my old computer, etc. I believe tomorrow I'm going to be back on this war properly.

dstammel
02-27-2008, 09:25 PM
I love the frog mount. But if it's designed after a horse saddle then i believe its' backwards.
Love the idea. About a year ago i made a Battle snail with a saddle. Reminds me alot of that.
Keep up the good work.

fluxist8070
02-28-2008, 05:57 AM
looking good!
Nice boots!
Just dropping by to check it out.

Pegorari
02-28-2008, 06:06 PM
how I said in 3d4all foruns, your girl concepts are fantastic ! good work ! Muito bom cara !

jocz
02-28-2008, 06:17 PM
good concepts improvments,
but the frogg will be hard to control face to 3DVF team
want to see it in 3D now ^^

BloodTaster
02-29-2008, 12:45 AM
hi amauri
Very cool stuff man! Lovely girl you have here, keep it up. I will folow your progress:thumbsup:

OKMER
02-29-2008, 12:50 AM
Great original concept!Nice sketches too!
Just lovely!Keep n eye on this.
Wanna see the following:)
Cheers!

jramauri
02-29-2008, 06:47 PM
dstammel: Thanks for your comment. I made the saddle more in front because it's where I think the girl will have more balance, when riding the frog. Don't forget that a frog jumps, - in this case, about 50, 60 meters, because of his size - and she needs to be very well tied on his back.

FLUXIST8070: Hey man, nice to see your back. I'm looking forward to your model too. Thanks for visiting. :thumbsup:

jocz: Salut! Je n'ai pas compris votre comment sur mon crapaud et le 3dvf forum. Il y a quelqu´un lá que modele un aussi? J'ai trouvé pas dans le DW site. Ou les français n'aime pas de crapaus? :P
Anyway, thanks. I'll start modeling next week. I hope not to disapoint you.

BloodTaster: Thanks, I'm following your progress too. Great sketches you have on your thread.

Pegorari and OKMER: Thanks, fellows!

There goes on more up of the frog, with more definion on details. I hope finish concepts until monday or tuesday, to start the actual modeling.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_06.jpg

jocz
02-29-2008, 07:03 PM
jocz: Salut! Je n'ai pas compris votre comment sur mon crapaud et le 3dvf forum. Il y a quelqu´un lá que modele un aussi? J'ai trouvé pas dans le DW site. Ou les français n'aime pas de crapaus? :P
Anyway, thanks. I'll start modeling next week. I hope not to disapoint you.

No worries !
Because 3DVF is a french forum, and frenchies are commonly called "froggies" in other countries because they like to eat froggs !
Take a look at the 3DVF logo =)
http://www.blog.gen-art.net/images/divers/3DVF_DWIII_NB.jpg
and how they called their DWIII forum : Dominance-War-III-Frogs-Attack

Besides that I like the idea of a frogg mount !

innactpro
03-02-2008, 09:14 AM
I love the frog mount. But if it's designed after a horse saddle then i believe its' backwards.
Love the idea. About a year ago i made a Battle snail with a saddle. Reminds me alot of that.
Keep up the good work.

Yeah, why is the saddle backwards?

http://www.taverstables.com/images/t-boneandtara.jpg

It looks good, just seems backwards. Unless you have reason for that. Then it's fine.

jramauri
03-02-2008, 12:53 PM
Yeah, why is the saddle backwards?

It looks good, just seems backwards. Unless you have reason for that. Then it's fine.

:blush::blush::blush: The reason is that I don't know anything about horses or saddles. :P I've made a research on Google about saddles, and found some very interesting images. Unfortunatelly, none of them showed how they were used. And because of their shapes, I believed that they were used as I painted. I didn't understand the previous comment of dstammel too. Sorry man. Now, that you've made me figure out this, I'll make the due correction. Thanks for your continuous help, guys.

pitiwazou
03-02-2008, 01:18 PM
No worries !
Because 3DVF is a french forum, and frenchies are commonly called "froggies" in other countries because they like to eat froggs !
Take a look at the 3DVF logo =)
http://www.blog.gen-art.net/images/divers/3DVF_DWIII_NB.jpg
and how they called their DWIII forum : Dominance-War-III-Frogs-Attack

Besides that I like the idea of a frogg mount !

It's an urban legende, we don't like eat froggs !!
But, we choose this logo because of that ^^

Good luck jramauri, I like your drawing ;)

innactpro
03-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Glad to help. It's better to find those things now than make it to the end and have to make changes in a hurry. Or worse, submit the mistake and not have a chance to change it. Good luck.

joed8349
03-02-2008, 03:00 PM
Good find on the backwards saddle.
Nice concepts, so far.
Are you going to be able to keep to the 9000 tri limit?
Just remember to keep that in mind.

jramauri
03-02-2008, 04:12 PM
innactpro: No doubts about it, man. I'm really glad with the help from you and dstammel. Thanks!

joed8349: Thanks man.. Since the begining, I'm planning spent about 5500 tris for the girl, 3500 for the frog. Of course this can change, but I believe that will be something on this range. It's funny to see that about 2, 3 years ago, the most detailed game chars was about 3 or 4 k, and now 9k is used for a single char o.o

Edit: Ops, sorry, pitiwazou, I forgot to answer you! Big thanks, I suspected that this was just a urban legend! But I've seen on the animation "Les Triplettes de Belleville" those old women eating a log of them.. hehehe. Good luck for you too fellow.

MartinNielsen
03-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Your character is really special and funny :thumbsup: She must be very powerful with that ability. My character is an invoker and summoner as well. But the back story is much darker and a bit tragic.

SheriffNotic
03-02-2008, 08:30 PM
I like the painting of the frog a lot. While you are addressing the saddle though, you should really consider adding the Stirrups (Foot rests) into the saddle. It will help to making riding both a lot more comfortable but it also helps with leverage a bit. Considering this thing will be jumping, this girl will need all the help she can get just to hang on. Speaking of hanging on, the horn in the front is used to hold or tie a rope to if your wrangling something with a rope.

It looks like your work is coming along, I really need to start working harder on mine though, I'm falling way behind -_-^ Too much other stuff getting in the way right now, arrgh! Can't wait to see more updates!

YamaJii
03-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Maybe you could give the frog a little bit of armor. have a look a Narnia movie"newest one" and look for some ideas there. If this is a war your frog is gonna be targeted. Maybe not too much though as to not take away from the overall feel of this piece.

AlexMarik
03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
As I said befor, the frog paint is awesome!! I don't know about the sadle, but for me is fine!!

See ya, bro!!

jramauri
03-03-2008, 05:33 PM
MartinNielsen: Thanks! I've seen your char, he looks much more powerful than mine. And uglier too, in a good sense :) I'll be following your thread.

SheriffNotic: Hey, man. I considered the stirrups, but I have 2 problems: 1 is the polycount. I'd like to keep the frog as simple as possible, to use more tris on the girl. 2 is that the stirrups wil hide part of his face, what could be a problem. As this is not 100% real, in fact more like a fairy tale, we can believe she can manage his jumps just using her arms.
But, while the modeling part, I'm going to reconsider, and do it, if possible.

Hey, where are your ups? C'mon, go back to the contest. The concepts you made were good.

YamaJii: As I said before, I want the keep the frog simple. I agree that would be great to see him in a armor, but you see, in the most part of ancient war movies, people use armors, but their horses no. A friend had sugested me to make an armor before. Well let's see the way things are follow when the modeling part start. Thanks for you suggestion.

AlexMarik: thanks my friend!

And finally, there goes the frog, with the saddle on correct position. Almost time to start modeling.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_07.jpg

RahMorais
03-04-2008, 12:13 AM
all right all right, nice to see that you´ve corrected that saddle sad thing!
now lets stop with the painting and lets start pulling some vertex :)
hehe good luck mate, really looking for this one! lot of potential!

Yazbek
03-04-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey,
first time writing here but i'm watching this one since the beginning!!
i think the idea is really good!!like someone said before, i think the paint bucket should be out!
well, there's not much to say other than "great idea and beautiful drawings" and "i'm waiting for updates really soon!!!":)
Good luck!

jramauri
03-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Rart and Yazbek: Thanks, guys! I hope not to disapoint you.

So, I'm posting my first efforts on modeling. Draw or model children is much harder than we can think and I spent some hard hours to stablish reasonable proportions to my girl's head. I used just zspheres as my start point.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_09.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_08.jpg

C&C are apreciated.

AlexMarik
03-05-2008, 06:03 PM
Wow man, this is awesome, is a very nice start with model!!!

You will use the retopology tool to make the lowpoly cage?

Wow again!! See ya!

slipgatecentral
03-05-2008, 06:19 PM
From my expirience I totally agree here: sculpting a kid's face , in a way it would look natural, not the easiest thing to do.

Great job you did here, I'm watching this wip closely, very bright idea and concept, keep it up please :)

Just one notice: try to give it more smooth surface, especially at cheeks and jaw, won't hurt to.

RahMorais
03-05-2008, 06:48 PM
From my expirience I totally agree here: sculpting a kid's face , in a way it would look natural, not the easiest thing to do.
Agree with that!
Just one notice: try to give it more smooth surface, especially at cheeks and jaw, won't hurt to.
And with that too heheheh

as I said, this one will kick some ass for sure, and with all this effort that you´re putting on this one, you´ll be at the top 50 for sure! keep us posted man!
cheers

MartinNielsen
03-05-2008, 06:50 PM
Very nice work :thumbsup: I think you manage to bring out some strenght in her personality. I agree that the skin should be a bit smoother in the cheek/jaw area. Also the break between the upper nose and the lower forehead should be a little bit more visible.

SheriffNotic
03-06-2008, 01:26 AM
That is a great looking start, I have no skill with zspheres, I'm inspired to try harder with them. Everything looks like it's been coming along very nicely.

Hey, where are your ups? C'mon, go back to the contest. The concepts you made were good.

Sorry, I've been working gangbusters on my main portfolio and some art tests. I've been doing some sketches here and there in my small amount of free time, but I'm definitely falling behind -_-^ I'll post some updates tonight though, so check them out a little later! I will get everything done!

raultabajara
03-06-2008, 01:37 AM
grande amauri

legal a ideia da montadora de sapo!! :)
:D
gostei das vestimentas! :D

me diz uma coisa: como vc esta postando as imagens?

depois passa lá no meu!! :)

abraços

Loukor
03-06-2008, 01:39 AM
Great sculpt so far dude, looks like it has alot of potential.

DTRAN
03-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Brilliant! the head sculpt is beautiful. i can't wait for the rest of this!

RahMorais
03-06-2008, 03:15 AM
give us the body! heehe

jramauri
03-06-2008, 03:19 AM
At the first place, thanks for all of you for your comments. When I decided to do this char, I believed that she wouldn't attract any attention here, for her childish appeal, and now, I see more than 60 replies... And this makes me really happy. It seems that something diferent from bloody warlords with big weapons is welcome on this war at last :)

Alex Marik: Yes, it's all part of the plan!

slipgatecentral: Hehe, thanks. Be sure your comment about the cheeks is on my "to do" list for her face.

rart: Thanks my friend, I really hope you're right. And I'm waiting for your ups too, come on guy!!

MartinNielsen: I took note of your advice about her nose. Thanks!

SheriffNotic: But this war is good for portfolios too,man. Anyway, make your things at you own pace. I'm watching your threads, and waiting for ups. Zspheres are pretty worth, powerful way of modeling, and deserve some time for learning. Try to use this image I posted as reference for studies, and you'll see that they aren't so hard to use.

raultabajara: hey man! Good to see you here too!
Eu posto do mesmo jeito que posto no 3d4all, usando tags , que são o icone de paisagem na hora em que vc tá escrevendo a mensagem. Pra hospedar, uso meu proprio servidor. Se vc não tem um use o www.imageshack.us (http://www.imageshack.us) pra hospedar pra vc. Amanhã eu vou lá e comento o seu, hoje já tá tarde demais! :)

Loukor and DTRAN: Thanks guys!

There goes her body proportions. I hope she looks like an 8-10 yo girl. C&C please.

[img]http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_10.jpg

madshooter
03-06-2008, 05:48 AM
Beautifull:thumbsup: You work with Z-spheres, WOW even I'm willing to learn modeling with Z-spheres in z-brush. Very nice concept and you got great sculpting skills.
All the best:thumbsup:

SheriffNotic
03-06-2008, 06:00 AM
That's look'n really nice! I'll be posting up my update shortly too, although not nearly as much work done as you.

MartinNielsen
03-06-2008, 08:21 AM
So cute... :) And I think you nailed the proportions pretty much :thumbsup: The hands need a lot of work, but of course you know that :wise:

Arcor
03-06-2008, 08:49 AM
Really refreshing to see something that's not a 10-foot tall wall of armor wielding a greatsword :D

Loving the concepts and the design overall, and the Frog mount is certainly unique. Keep it up ^^

AlexMarik
03-06-2008, 05:09 PM
Really good work my friend!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BloodTaster
03-06-2008, 06:17 PM
Its getting goood! Love it the head sculpt, great progess!

jramauri
03-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for your comments, fellows!

There goes an update, with some definition on her clothes. Don't care about her right hand, I lost the simetry of this subtool inside Zbrush and it seems there's no way to fix it. so just left hand is looking ok by now.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_11.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_12.jpg

RahMorais
03-07-2008, 07:34 PM
freakin awesome, as I said, I loved her face, really a child
I know you know that, but the hands need some more work

so far, one of the most creative here,
good luck

dmightyone
03-07-2008, 07:56 PM
amazing work amauri! i think her face is perfect, i really like the way you managed to put lots of personality on it! great job so far!!! boa sorte!

MartinNielsen
03-07-2008, 07:56 PM
Nice.:thumbsup:

From this distance and angle the left hand seems ok now. Also the clothes looks fine and smooth. Many artists (including me) have made the mistake of adding too many creases.

Art2
03-07-2008, 10:57 PM
Excellent stuff!
Great job on her face, I love it that she looks so normal :)

ManiacSoul
03-07-2008, 11:35 PM
Cute girl...

SheriffNotic
03-08-2008, 02:04 AM
Love the updates, I wish I had something more constructive to say but everything is just so solid there isn't really anything I could say for critque. Great stuff.

Maddog-CP
03-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Looking great! Your character concept is a great change from the big beasties and nasties! Ive been following your progress since early on and am very much cheering you on!

Any new images on the pet? frog? I love that thing!

Airflow
03-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Really cool work, Its nice to see somone strong enough not to just give in and do somthing demonic, but take the more difficult route and do somthing different. I gave in btw :)
Great work.

jramauri
03-09-2008, 07:15 PM
Thanks for all your comments guys. I'm very glad to see you like them, even if they doesn't have a demoniac smile on their face. :).

As it seems the girl is coming along well, there goes the start on the frog. I think that I'm going to make both simultaneously, to assure they will look in the same "universe". C&C are welcome, as I'm not a specialist in frogs.

Zspheres base:

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_13.jpg

Inicial mesh:

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_14.jpg

The mesh after some fixes on Maya, and changes on groups.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_15.jpg

MartinNielsen
03-09-2008, 07:53 PM
It looks fine, I think. Can't find anything to crit this time :)

BloodTaster
03-09-2008, 08:05 PM
the frog its getting nice!

MartinNielsen
03-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Oh! One thing: Maybe you should make a little expression with the mouth. Not making it intelligent. Maybe just vary how open it is or something like that.

SheriffNotic
03-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Looks like a great start on that frog. Whenever I use zspheres my initial mesh always looks like this strange explosion of weird creases and broken down forms, you work zsphere magic my friend.

Loukor
03-09-2008, 11:09 PM
Hey great start on the frog dude, the front legs feels kinda short or just something is wierd but hey... what do I know about frogs heh.

Also you were talking about contrast for your female character long time ago, well I would suggest a longer and more elegant hair style... here is some examples,

http://www.messs.cc/gallery/NTSCDP/Omai1000

http://www.messs.cc/gallery/NTSCDP/chopstickhime_statuedesign_MESSS550

As for her outfit, maybe some kinda ornamental design?

Just a suggestion but you already started on the sculpt so maybe this is out of the question, Cheers!

jramauri
03-09-2008, 11:37 PM
MartinNielsen: Thanks. Be sure I'll give him some expression. At this time I'm more concerned with proportions.

BloodTaster: Thanks, man!

SheriffNotic: Dude, zspheres are a matter of patience. They give you a good start point, but demands some works to look right. I think you have trouble with them because you stay using zspheres, even when your mesh is ready. Try to make an Adaptative skin, and work just with it after you stablished your proportions.

Loukor: Yes, I know. But if you look at the references below, you'll se that front legs are really shorter than back ones. I don't remeber to say anything about contrast. :P Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I've already knew the works fro this guy you posted, he's great, and I'll see how I could improive my char from them.

To make easy some crits about frogs, there goes some references I'm using.

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/reptiles/amphibians/images/frogs_toads/WhiteLippedTreeFrogWHAF_Ap7AF.jpg

http://roostersrail.files.wordpress.com/2006/04/Frog_Invader1.JPG

http://www.science.psu.edu/alert/photos/miscphotos/Hedges/HedgesRed-Haiti-frog.jpg

Loukor
03-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Ah nice references, I guess your frog looked a bit off since the hind legs are down...but if they were up... it would look right. But it's better this way for rigging and sculpting, you can put them up later. As for the contrast part, sorry I meant silhouette :P.. you said it somewhere in the first page.

Cheers.

RahMorais
03-09-2008, 11:55 PM
kick ass!
only crit goes to his mouth, its kinda weird right now, keep with the reference and it´ll be good to go!
man, you´re blowing everyone minds with this one!
keep that up!
cheers

fluxist8070
03-10-2008, 01:08 AM
It seems that the inflated area around the mouth is overprportioned.
Also, it seems that the eyes of the frogs need to be rotated forward a bit. (the eyes of predators always face forward.) And the rear of the frog should have an an indication of where a tail used to be, or a tailbone.

Other than that it looks fantastic! This looks like it will be alot of fun to shade and texture!
Keep it up, and thanks for the feedback on my page! I have decided to change the overall design of the character. There were to many unanswered questions in my concept. It will be the smae basic idea, but a different look. I will keep your feedback in mind!

Maddog-CP
03-10-2008, 04:52 PM
I like how the frog is coming along.

comments - Bigger eyes and bigger feet I think, and widen and flatten the mouth/head area abit more perhaps? Bigger eyes for sure, they might help in giving the frog more character later on. Feet larger so it can grip and hold terrain and be more stable landing and moving/jumping.

Not trying to pull you away from work on the Main character the girl, but I know how some people key onto small details of a larger project when judging/critique. I want to see the whole concept come together for ya, but the girl is gonna be what I'd think people will be taking most interest in.

gogo!

DoInferno
03-10-2008, 05:17 PM
I like how its going. The sculpting worg is getting beautifull!

oliveira
03-11-2008, 05:41 PM
really great Amauri! keep posting!!

Alex Oliver

sagishow
03-12-2008, 07:10 AM
Fantastic ! Cute ! Beautiful !
Keep it up guy.

Dalton-Muniz
03-12-2008, 09:40 PM
Great job Amauri!! Really good! Keep it up man!!
Manda bala cara!

Abraços!

jramauri
03-13-2008, 07:18 PM
Loukor: Yes, my frog is in a unconfortable position, to avoid overlaping, what would give me trouble when sculpting, unrapping and rigging. About the silhouettes, I'll try to make some paintovers and see what I can make to incresae the expressiveness of those chars. Thanks man.

rart: The weirdness of his mouth is because of the irregular geometry of that mesh, generated by zspheres. When I make retopo, this will be solved. Thanks!

FLUXIST8070: Thank you very much for your tips. I've made the changes you suggested and it looks much better now, at least on my opinion.
I've seen your new concept, and I think it's much better than previous one. Keep it up!

Maddog-CP: Big thanks for your tips. I made his feet a bit bigger, but I'm trying not to exagerate, as my goal is to make my chars in a semi-realistic way. But I do agree it still lacking some personality on the frog, and I'm going to try to solve this problem when I'm satisfied with all overall shapes.

DoInferno, oliveira, sagishow, Dalton-Muniz: Thanks guys!! pretty glad to see you are following my thread :beer:

Last days I couldn't work on this project, but now I'm back to war. Not so much progress, but I fixed eyes position and shape, added the tail bone, corrected ths side of mouth, made feet bigger and started working on saddle. The saddle is composed by two pieces at this moment, but I'm in doubt if it's better to make it using one piece of geometry only. What do you guys think?

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_16.jpg

DDS
03-13-2008, 07:27 PM
Nice that u started using Zspheres, that's always impressive. Also I think your frog looks good but I'd detail the rear leg muscles more.

My 2 cents :)

jramauri
03-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Thanks DDS. I'm not satisfied yet with his proportions, and as soon as I get the correct size, I'll detail the muscles.

There goes a comparison of size between the 2 chars. It seems I followed the references too closely and the frog lost volume, don't look like a giant, strong frog. I'm going to work to correct this next.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_17.jpg

AlexMarik
03-13-2008, 08:01 PM
I agree, the frog must be more robust, i think. And the addle should be bigger, going almost until the shoulder.

Great job my friend!! Keep going!!

Stinger88
03-13-2008, 08:14 PM
looking great!

This reminds me of this tutorial from gnomon. Only because of the toad thing in it.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/zpe02.html

I would definately get some strong muscle tone on those back legs. And some bumpy skin. but not too much as its more frog than toad.

MartinNielsen
03-13-2008, 11:25 PM
I almost forgot about the size difference between the two, when I saw the frog the first time. So yes, you need to make it look stronger and bigger. But I'll bet they'll become a great pair :)

jramauri
03-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks for your comments guys, and special thanks for the reference of that toad, Stinger88, really helpful.

I made a paintover to give more muscular definition to the frog, based on the Zack Petroc images on the link above, and some Komodo dragon pictiures, I found on Google. I want to know if you guys think he looks about 120kg (the weight I imagine for him) with compatible muscular/bones structure. I know his back legs needs a considerable increase on muscular mass, as he must jump carrying the girl (about 35, 40 kg), but on this angle I couldn't represent this well.

I apreciate paintovers or ideas about this!

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_18.jpg

By the way, I made some minor fixes on Ms Van's body and face. apreciate paintovers or crits about her too, because I think there's nothing more to fix on her structure.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_19.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_20.jpg

AlexMarik
03-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Wow man, these eyes are awesome!!!

joed8349
03-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Very cool. Is the final pose going to have to girl riding the frog? - that would be sweet.

zeke3d
03-17-2008, 07:51 AM
she looks 14-15 on the concept, the sculpt makes her look 9.

jramauri
03-17-2008, 10:57 AM
AlexMarik: They're just temporary, but in fact they look nice :) Thanks

joed8349: Yeah, that's the idea, man. When I get things under control, I'm going to make a concept for the fnal piece, with her riding the frog.

zeke3d: I know. But if you read my second post on this thread, you'll see that my goal was to make a 10 yo girl. The concept was just a guide for clothes and colors.

No ups by now, I'm doing retopo on some parts, and almost becoming crazy due a some zbrush import/export issues, that cause models to explode sometimes. But I hope get this part done soon...

DMNY
03-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Amauri, I do agree that she is really cute but I believe that with the right montage and a great dramatic pose (like the frog charging and the girl summoning at the same time), you'd have something to stand on your own. Great concept and design. Keep updating :)

Maddog-CP
03-18-2008, 10:31 AM
Looking really good!

Only 2 critque i think i have is the proportion of the girl to the frog.
And where the saddle sits on the frog. Saddle i think needs to move back or down the frogs back abit more. Its to close to its face, girl might kick him in eyes or something by mistake when riding, or get her legs tangled in his front limbs.

People seem to be saying the frog doesnt look large enough to support the girl, I agree but maybe all you need is a scale/size adjustment instead of more mass on frog.

In one of your first concepts on page 1, you have a image of the girl riding the frog.
I really like that size/scale relationship.
As an artist to artist tip, I've always found that while working on a project I get too involved and forget about the original sketches. Usually when I review alot of my thumbs I re-discover that original idea I was trying to make. However during the loooong process of making the art it gets lost. And one needs to just review his/her original ideas to find/fix what problems are going on in later art stages.

I think you just need to re-peek at your original thoughts and idea, and you will prolly immeadiately realize how to fix or adjust things on your current models.

Good luck!

huangjie1984
03-18-2008, 04:17 PM
cute!
friend ,take it up

jramauri
03-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Hi guysm thanks for your comments and sorry for the lack of updates, I've been a bit busy this days.. But I still working on my chars, never give up!

Here's a slight up of Ms Van, more to come.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_21.jpg

jramauri
03-23-2008, 02:56 PM
Maddog-CP: Thanks for your tips, my friend. I was using my initial sketches as reference, I always do, but in fact the size relation between both chars was different from initial ideia. Ms Van needs to be a bit smaller to fit that idea, and I'm aware of this now.
About the saddle, some people have said the same thing to me, so there it goes, I put it more to the back part of the frog and it looks better now to me too.

I made the frog's head a bit bigger, as well as his front limbs, to fit better my concept. Started working on tiny bumpy details on his skin, and after some headaches, I have this model retopologyzed, ready for uvs and painting.

By now I have 4044 tris, what is pretty close to what I was thinking initially. But maybe it deserves some optimization later, I don't know yet.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_22.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_23.jpg

jramauri
03-25-2008, 07:00 PM
And finally some color. Some poly painting on Zbrush, no UVS yet. The idea is to make them with bright and vivid colors, to better fit the childish mood of this couple. No gray warriors here!

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_24.jpg

SteevieWoo
03-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Whheeeee...... It took me a while to catch up with your thread, I like the girl a lot but everyone has seaid that already. I'll only say I can't wait to see them together in acction and full bright colors.
The frog's skin is good but could use some spots or other tone variations from the base green, specially around tha back and top of the head. You could use a lighter green for the fingertips too.
Keep it coming this good!:thumbsup:

hakanpersson
03-26-2008, 01:20 AM
If you add those bright and vivid colors I'll buy the color theme. Maybe add some tasty yellow onto the skin? Green frogs works well with royal red and gold for sure.

About the highpoly. The only part I dont like is the mouth. It looks a bit irregular (if thats how you spell it). Which for me doesnt entirely match with the comic style of this character. If you look at a Pixar movie, mouth, fingers etc are often very precise and almost blocked out.
More definition and precision to the mouth could perhaps give more attitude and character. Since I assume this is not one of those random frogs sitting on the road a rainy night:)

rawwad
03-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Fantastic! Love your character design a lot, modeling skills have great too. Well done keep finish it:thumbsup:

jramauri
03-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Sorry, double post! :blush:

jramauri
03-27-2008, 12:18 PM
SteevieWoo: I'm not done yet, those are just the initial colors, to have a good idea how it will look when textured. I'm using some photos of green tree frogs as reference, and they have beautiful variations on his green tones, some for yellow, some for red. And I have intention to make this, if time allows me (by the way, I'm pretty glad to know we'll have more 5 days on DW :) ) Thanks for watching!

hakanpersson: Thank you for the mouth tip. I'm gonna make it softer, I believe the overall "cute look" will increase pretty well, what's my goal. Since the begining I'm trying to give him more personality, and it seems I'm reaching this goal bit by bit.

rawwad: Glad to hear that from you, you are a very talented artist!

No ups by now, I'm doing the retopo of Ms Van, to make her ready for painting. I hope to finish this today.

fluxist8070
03-30-2008, 12:04 AM
looking good!
the frog looks really nice. Nice surface detail!

MartinNielsen
03-30-2008, 01:34 AM
Nice updates all the way. I'm sure you'll make that frog look charming :thumbsup:

jramauri
03-30-2008, 03:49 AM
Thanks guys. I think I'm done with her retopology, so I started blocking her painting, to see how things will look. I know her skin needs more detailing, as well as some details of sculpt like her hands, but I'll take care of this next. I plan to add textures on her clothes too, when UV mapping and texturing are in advanced stages. Crits and comments are welcome.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_25.jpg

There goes her wires, as well as her size relation in comparison with the frog. Some otimization is necessary to have tris enough to make her brush, but I think everything is under control.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_26.jpg

SheriffNotic
03-30-2008, 03:58 AM
She's looking lovely. There is plenty of room for optimization on those wires so that should be no problem. Of all of the entries so far, yours is my favorite! Wonderful work.

dmightyone
03-30-2008, 04:13 AM
indeed wonderful work,thats an amazing character you've done! i think i'd add more colors on the frog, but other than that it's perfect! meus parabens pelo otimo trabalho!

MartinNielsen
03-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Very nice colors. The size proportions look ok too.

RahMorais
03-30-2008, 05:55 PM
awesome man, You´re putting a great effort to finish this one! and its coming really nice!

AlexMarik
03-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Wow wow wow, really nice man, congrats!!! Keep going!!!

RobThornely
03-31-2008, 08:10 PM
What a refeshingly original idea, lovely skill, nice work.

andy6308AAA
04-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Very nice modeling, looks cool

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=604654&page=4&pp=15

jramauri
04-07-2008, 01:51 AM
Hey guys, sorry for my disapearing. I was a bit busy last days, but always trying to finish my little girl. And a big THANK YOU for all you, I got to admit it would be much harder to arrive until this point without you support. :thumbsup:

Finally she and her frog are mapped, and have normal maps. The brush is done too, with some details on the wood and the CGS logo on the metalic part. As that's the last week, I'll double my efforts to finish them in time, the best I can.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_27.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_28.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_29.jpg

RahMorais
04-07-2008, 03:45 AM
damn, what nice results you have here! specially on the girl´s face! can you post some close ups? really nice so far! keep that up! :thumbsup:

AlexMarik
04-07-2008, 01:47 PM
Awesome!!! The normals are fine to me!! Just take care about the thin fingers and will be done!!!

Abraço garoto!!

jramauri
04-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks for your replies, guys. There goes her ups with textures, and the textures themselves. Just some adjustments, and I think they are done.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_30.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_31.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_32.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_33.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_34.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_35.jpg

RahMorais
04-08-2008, 06:52 PM
really nice mate! the diffuse map is so simple yet so functional! really nice job!
now you´ve got just to pose it and it´ll be finished :)

hakanpersson
04-08-2008, 07:51 PM
The texture need more contrast, I would love to see an occlusionmap multiplied on that colormap, it would give more depth and more result of that highres mesh you actually spend time building. (perhaps also overall a tiny bit more saturation could be nice).

I assume that the grey texture is the specular map? I would want to see a colored specularmap. One created from the colormap, rather from the normalmap as it now seem to be. In case you have used the normalmap as an overlay for the colormap(kind of looks like that?), imo it makes the realtime shading look worse.

Sounds like an aweful lot of critics, but it aint as bad as it sounds. Besides, its just me caring:)

dmightyone
04-08-2008, 08:06 PM
great job man! the girl looks superb! i cant wait to see everything finished! although, i do agree about giving more depth to the difuse map by multiplying the occlusion map on it, and also you could grab the green channel from the normal map and overlay on the color map, just my opinion though. i think it looks great already! keep it up! abraco ai!

jramauri
04-09-2008, 04:09 AM
rart: Hey man, thank you for your comment. Your support was fundamental for my results until now, and I'm very grateful for this.

hakanpersson: Thank you very much. To me the colors look nice, very bright and vivid, as I imagined. I really need to test the oclusion to see how it will work, the problem now is the time... But I'll see if I can do that in time.

About the gray map, yes, is the specular. In fact is not simply the normal map, it's the displacement map, used to add depth to the canvas, and painted on Zbrush, with the same materials I used on the chars. I made this way to capture the properties of those materials, as I spent some time applying them to my high res sculptures, and I wanted the results was as close as possible from they I get on Zbrush. After a best render on Zbrush, I grabed this texture and used to generate my specular and color maps. I see this idea on the Sebastien Legrain website, and adapted to capture Zbrush materials propoerties. Do you think even this way the texture will look bad in a game engine?

dmightyone: Thanks my friend. I'll try you advice to see how it works. I'm sorry, I didn't commented on your thread, but your char is great. I didn't talked to you on msn yet too, I work at night here in Brazil, and it seems our clocks aren't working the same way :P Besides that I'm running too finish my model. But be sure we'll be able to talk and change ideas soon. :beer:

madshooter
04-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Great job. Right now I guess it's a screenshot. It will look real cool when rendered with some lighting and a good pose. I know you still gonna work on it, congratulations in advance cause you are amost done:).

jramauri
04-09-2008, 11:54 PM
Thanks for your comment, madshooter!

****ing yes! The AO layer over the diffuse really added a lot of depth and life to the chars. Thanks for your advices guys, I'd lose a lot if I didn't use this resource. There goes news screenshots of Maya's viewport, with this new texture.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_36.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_37.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_38.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_39.jpg

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_40.jpg

jramauri
04-10-2008, 02:30 PM
One friend warned me me about the normals on her face, and I made them softer, I think it's better now (right one).

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_41.jpg

RahMorais
04-10-2008, 03:17 PM
thats wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better man!!
now hurry up to the finals

jramauri
04-11-2008, 06:57 PM
We're almost there, rart!

Here is my first "sketch" of winning pose submission. There's some details to correct, but I'm pretty happy with the image. Deadline is very near, so if you guys have something to say, now is the time! :P

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/final_pose_sketch.jpg

RahMorais
04-11-2008, 07:03 PM
pretty cool man, this is a pose that we can call a child winning pose!
very nice

jramauri
04-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Some poses I intent to use on Beauty render. I need to correct some geometry issues, but it's alright.

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/beauty_sketch.jpg

SheriffNotic
04-11-2008, 10:38 PM
There is a pretty noticeable seam on the inner thigh of the most recent image, just wanted to let you know in case you missed it. Everything looks great!

MartinNielsen
04-11-2008, 11:43 PM
The girl looks fantastic :bounce: Congrats.

madshooter
04-12-2008, 11:51 AM
Awesome Job:thumbsup:. Congratulations Once again:D

jramauri
04-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Wow.. now I can breath again!

Thanks for your comments guys! SheriffNotic, I corrected that seam, and other minor mistakes on my maps, I think it's everything fine now. Thanks!

And this is the final, there go my final images:

Winning pose:

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_42.jpg

Beauty shot:

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_43.jpg

Construction shot:

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_44.jpg

Texture sheet:

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_45.jpg

Concept sheet

http://www.amauriilustra.com.br/images/making_of/dw/ms_van_46.jpg

Well, as a final comment, I'd like to thank everybody who took some time to post on my thread and helped me to go to the end. Much people gave me tips about how to improve my artwork, or just encouragement and this was essential to complete the hard task it was this DW entry.

Special thanks to my friend Rafael Morais, rart here on CGTalk, for all support during this war. Man, you were a great ally in the War! I hope we can fight together next year!

Good luck for everybody, I hope CGS win this war! :beer:

And now I can finally go play some old game classics on MAME... :p

SheriffNotic
04-13-2008, 06:44 AM
great job, congrats on getting it finished, maybe next year I will too... Good luck!

MartinNielsen
04-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Nice job. It has been a pleasure follow your work all the way. It's so unique to see a "friendly" -looking character in this contest. I hope they reward you for this :) And next year I won't fail again... :argh:

DDS
04-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Wow it's not evil! It's hard to make something not "dirty" or "nasty" but more clean and refined. I think you came up with a nice one. Congrats!!

BloodTaster
04-13-2008, 03:23 PM
Hey man, your finished piece looks great! I especially like the modifications on the girl's face.
Congratulations and good luck!

dmightyone
04-14-2008, 12:28 AM
that turned out really great my friend! it's very refreshing and creative, clean and well put together! it's been great to watch how it developed, congratulations for the amazing job!

jramauri
04-15-2008, 12:28 PM
Thank very much for your comments, guys. They made really happy :)

Best of luck for all of you! :beer:

RahMorais
04-15-2008, 02:01 PM
amazing man! just amazing!
congratulations

Intervain
04-15-2008, 08:28 PM
fantastic! TOTALLY FTW! I love how original and different from the rest it feels :) and the colours are great! Bravo :beer:

QuantumPixel
04-15-2008, 11:16 PM
pretty good, Pretty cute, might have had some more flare with a bit of FX coming off the brush in mid stroke but thats just personal taste good job on finishing.

oliveira
04-15-2008, 11:24 PM
man! beaultiful concept!! great!

congratulations!! good luck !!

Alex Oliver

valri22
04-16-2008, 04:11 AM
I like seeing something a little different like this one! It's not so crazy and demonic =) Love the frog. It's really cute and well executed. I think some more dramatic lighting could have made a big dif in the end result - like more shadows. Also maybe some more details on the normal mapping. I like your style though!

jramauri
04-16-2008, 12:39 PM
rart: Thanks my friend!

Intervain: I'm tottaly honoured to receive such comment from you, I like your works very much :)

QuantumPixel: Thanks man! Yeah, some FX would be good with this char... Next time I'll be more careful about that.

oliveira: Thanks, Alex, you are the best!

valri22: Thanks my friend, I took note of your tips, and they will be applied on next works :thumbsup:

anewhobby
05-08-2008, 07:40 AM
this is one of my fav DW3 wips from all the 3D forums i hang out on. All DW3 models looks the same... crazy monsters or over detailed armour. Sure they all look good... but well they all look alike.

This oen really stands out...

Great work.

SheriffNotic
05-08-2008, 07:58 AM
Getting cut is lame, you should have gone all the way! We'll get 'em next year!

jramauri
05-08-2008, 02:05 PM
Hehe, thanks guys, I'm honored to receive such comments. In fact I'm proud of this work, I'm sure I worked hard on this, and the final results pleased me a lot. Unfortunately my 3d skills aren't as strong as they should be, and that's the reason of be cut. I'm much more a 2d boy, so I think if I should made a 2d entry... 3d is very technical and it takes a lot of time to be mastered.. Anyway I'm glad to know so many people liked this work, and I continue producing both 2d and 3d. If you guys want to follow my currente WIPs, please visit my sketchbook here at CGTalk: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=200&t=624392

See you!

CGTalk Moderation
05-08-2008, 02:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.