PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 2D - Matt Ellis - [TBA]

Matellis
02-17-2008, 09:34 AM
This is going to be fun! those other forums won't know what hit them :D

I think CGS will be kicking some ass this year I just hope that I can help.

I will start doing some concept thumbs this week :D

Good luck to everyone and remember no mercy!

Cheers

Most Recent Update:

Horse Thumbnail

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5965/horsebasic05ew0.jpg

Art2
02-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey Matt, good luck buddy.

Let's kill 'em all!! :scream:

kary
02-17-2008, 07:11 PM
GL man :)

inserting some extra characters to hit the limit of 10, not really a lot more then a well wish that i can add at this stage of the thread. :D

Matellis
02-17-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey thank Marlon and Kary! I have had a little time to brainstorm after work today and here is what I have come up with. I dont know how deep in story I will go with this but here are my thoughts so far.

Cheers!

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/7592/profileur0.jpg

GavinG
02-17-2008, 09:26 PM
Awesome :)

good luck dude!
Gav

laber
02-17-2008, 09:57 PM
great idea!

kenjitsu
02-17-2008, 10:02 PM
Sounds good, All the luck your way.

Xarxys
02-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Sounds good and welcome to the competition.

foxco
02-17-2008, 11:22 PM
great idea, Matellis. It's good to see some unique story development.

-foxco

canso
02-17-2008, 11:24 PM
Yop, the idea´s really great:thumbsup:

OKMER
02-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Just like the others!Great idea!HAve a nice war mate:beer:

Matellis
02-18-2008, 12:06 AM
Hey everyone thanks for all the positive response so far! It really helps to get me moving. I am just doodling up some silhouettes right now and playing with some shapes. Once I have some together I will be posting :D

Thanks again!

Lets kick some arse!

Cheers

Matellis
02-18-2008, 11:53 AM
Hey everyone,

Just doing some quick brain storming now. Not so much for the character design but finding some interestings shapes so I can have a design style to go by when I start the thumbnails. I also find this to help get the imagination flowing. What I did was fill up a page with some custom brush strokes then copy and flip it and start zooming in on everything looking for something that catches my eye and start painting over it.

I am kind of digging the character on the bottom left so i might copy that out and do a basic concept overlay but nothing set in stone yet. And I think the light armor that will be on my character will be an organic looking metal if that makes any sense. :D

Cheers!

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4226/brainstormtb9.jpg

jramauri
02-18-2008, 12:08 PM
Good idea, Matt. Keep it up, I'll be watching your thread. Good luck!

Jassar
02-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Looking cool so far, good luck!

kary
02-18-2008, 06:33 PM
Set yourself up for a bit of an interesting case Matt :) He's going to be pretty much tied to the stead carrying the artifact, but he won't have a mount of his own? You might want to keep the costume fairly light if that's the case. Thats the reason I'm cautious about the one you highlighted; I like the face (not a 20 something male with a full head of brown hair?! crazy!), but his kit looks pretty clunky. Thats assuming that they're intended to be a pretty mobile crew around the artifact, but if they're mounting the artifact on an animal (instead of a cart) it sounds like they want to be ready to go at any time on a lot of terrain.

You going for an overarching evil or good theme? Seems like some of the faces in the rough sheet lean to the evil... and thats kind of a cool direction to take a healing character. Jumps out of the stereotype a little, after all the bad guys need to be able to say "T'is but a scratch!" miraculously too :D

Matellis
02-18-2008, 06:47 PM
Hey thanks jramauri and Jassar :D

Hey Kary , some good points here. I am actually planning on having a mount for the character on the horse. I am thinking up around the neck area . It would seem like the only comfortable place. The horse is going to be ripped so if he sat any low on the horse he would probably be doing the splits. I am in the middle of working out a basic design for the chararcter , I agree with what you said about what hes wearing. I am thinking thou it will be a mixture of cloth and light armor. but he will have some packs with him that would probably be some first add and food. He might have a magical healing 2 ton stone but nothing beats a band-aid! ;)

I am going for a good guy healer with this. Thou he just looks like a butt ugly steal worker in the early 1930's :D

Cheers

kary
02-18-2008, 07:11 PM
:D Ya it was more the other material in the sheet that had me thinking evil. The bottom left guy (needs better name pronto) didn't sit in that same category, more neutral so far, but toss a first aid kit and a few other symbols on him and he'll be good to go. Steelworker beefyness sort of makes sense for a guy who works with a 2 ton healing stone... and you've certainly broken the 'healing crystal' stereotype of a middle aged plump woman with this one :D

Unifying the two characters with the costume design makes sense. Light leather with grieves, and a cuirass would give you something to put the symbols on and fit the flexibility/mobility of a horseman. Looking forward to more =]

Matellis
02-18-2008, 08:36 PM
Hey again Kary , yeah he needs a new name for sure haha i was trying to think of names and for some reason the guy that owns the car wash across the street from where I work popped in my head haha I will get cracking on the main character very soon and I will make sure the 2 characters here match.

Here is a quick thumbnail drawing I just did to rough out the horse, in a bit i might start adding some of the gear that he will be wearing.

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7460/horsebasic02ba8.jpg

Cheers

Rion411
02-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Really digging your idea. Concepts are looking great!

laber
02-18-2008, 10:21 PM
very nice horse! :) I agree with the lower left guy, fits very well to the idea and horse!

Matellis
02-19-2008, 10:13 PM
Hey thanks guys!

Just doing a bit of detail to the horse concept now. This is what I have so far. I will let this part rest for a couple days now until I get the main character worked out. Also I have started doing some basic thumbnails for the composition of the final illustration but they are extreamly wip and I will wait until i get some more solid ideas for composition.

Right now the story for the final composition is this:

Its getting very close to the end of the final battle with the machine army. My character runs over to a teamate to heal his major injuries. He is covered in sweat and blood and tries his hardest to save a close friend when all of a sudden a few machines spring out of the ground and head for the horse . While healing his friend he tries to use his rock powers to distroy the enemies before they attack and possibly kill his partner.

Heres the concept for the horse so far

http://img401.imageshack.us/img401/5965/horsebasic05ew0.jpg

Cheers!

vshen
02-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Looking good so far. I like the white underbelly color (nice touch!) combined with your overall browns. Keep up the good work and looking forward to see yours develop.

kary
02-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Lovely sketch Matt, horse is looking good, even the little 'for scale' figure feels integrated :).

I'd look at where you're putting the weight. The heaviest part of that object is going right into the weakest part of the back right now and I don't think that'd be the right setup long term. If you could get some of that up on the shoulder, or give the 'saddle' a strong sense that it spreads the weight it'd be solid.

The brute strength and characterization are dead on for earth so far, good stuff :)

FrozZT
02-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Hey man!
Good stuff so far.. Looking forward to the character concept.

Lets bring em down! Good luck!

-Niklas

Matellis
02-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Hey thanks George, Kary and Niklas!

Great point Kary. I think I will go back into this sketch soon and fix that up so the weight is more distributed on the horses back. Thanks for the help :D

Cheers

Rezeroth
02-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Wow.. that's one bulk horse man..loves it.. Keep it coming man!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My DW (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=597980)
My Deviantart (http://numioh.deviantart.com/)

jramauri
02-20-2008, 12:19 PM
The concept is very well made, but his body shape always make me think he is a dog, not a horse. I have to look twice every time to believe it's really a horse. Maybe if you give a little bit of volume to his back part, to balance the figure a bit more this impression vanishes.
Just my opinion, though. Great work.

Matellis
02-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Hey thanks Rezeroth!

Jramauri yeah I totally agree. It has been looking that way to me as well , from the get go I have been thinking I wanted a huge upper body on this horse but it is very hard to get away from the dog look, so I will change that very soon. Plus I think it just makes more sence to have a ripped lower body too since that is while most if not all the weight will be. I hope to have him updated during the weekend :D thanks for the crit!

Cheers

MichaelZHsee
02-23-2008, 01:18 PM
sweet looking concept man~didnt notice that the challenge has started...

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2008, 01:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.