Let the War begin.

Art2 is ready.

Victory is ours.

:scream:BOOOOOYAAAAAAAAAAH!! :scream:

*UPDATE*

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/pose01.jpg

OKMER
02-17-2008, 09:32 AM
haha, now that some nice war scream man!HAppy to see you around!
Me happy to battle by your side!
Cheers dude!
:beer:

Airflow
02-17-2008, 09:37 AM
Hehe, nice to see some vets in here.

LavenPillay
02-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Hehe, yeah its always good for moral when the High-Ups come down to the trenches with us. :)

Good luck, Art2 !!

Art2
02-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Thanks guys!
btw, Laven if my status is determined by my post count, I am indeed a High Up :D
Glad to be fighting by your sides! :scream::scream:

First quick sketch.
Just sketching what's coming to mind, just to get started.
I'm not going to make this an over the top character. I want it to have an authentic feel.
As if it could have existed in real life. I will look at real armour and use that as inspiration.
Of course I hope not to make it too boring :D

Race: TBD, I really haven't decided yet.
Class: WarLord
Artifact Weapon: War Hammer
Energy type: air/lightning

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/WarLord01.jpg

Ok, war hammer with air/lightning energy sounds like Mjolnir... :D
But a guy fighting metal machines needs a weapon that can tear up armour (hammer) and short circuit machines. That was the idea anyway.

Airflow
02-19-2008, 10:25 AM
Nice work sofar. Id amp it up a bit, kinda like LOTR if Joe Maduera had a hand in the design. I know your going for realism, but there is gonna be a ton of cool stuff, and anything real is going to have to be super detailed to hold its head above water.

Gune
02-19-2008, 02:10 PM
first nice post!

all the best!

System404
02-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Nice to see you here.
I like that your going for realism, but armor can be more interesting. I know that they kept realistic armor designs for LOTR but if you look at the elven and sauron armors they just have more plates/padding. I still like what you did, can't wait to see more.

here's some cool ref:

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/ElfArmor/Second/Second.htm

http://www.alleycatscratch.com/lotr/Elf/ElfArmor/Third.htm

http://www.theonering.net/scrapbook/group/987

Art2
02-19-2008, 04:38 PM
Robert, damn guess you're right... :) Screw realism then, well not entirely, heheh.
I will use it as a starting point and as reference to check if all I come up with is still functional and not too outrageous.

Gune, thanks!

Sys, great links man, definitely going to bookmark them. Thanks.
Your right about the padding and plates. I could do more with those and of course ornaments.

Next quicky for today, a bit inspired by the Ancient Greeks.

Race: Rock Titan
Class: WarLord
Artifact Weapon: War Hammer/ TBD
Energy type: earth/rock

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/WarLord02.jpg
He's made of solid rock (tougher than Ben Grimm :) ) and with his big left arm he can wack his enemies.
Or eat 25 apples at the same time... :wise:

Airflow
02-19-2008, 05:34 PM
Woah, I like the new direction. Id tone it down a bit but it definately think its noticable now.
BTW Im thinking my concept needs more realism, currently redoing some of it, pass your eye over it when you have time, Id really appreciate your crits.

Art2
02-20-2008, 11:23 PM
Still playing with the Rock Titan idea.
Artifact is a glove made of solid rock. The glove transforms the wearer's arm into solid rock, and gives the wearer the ability to manipulate earth and stone.

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/warlord04.jpg

Airflow
02-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Im likeing it, but needs a touch more, glove needs to be about twice as big, as does hammer. The warrior needs a frame to carry these, and more armour. Nice hybrid though.

Anitarf
02-21-2008, 02:06 AM
It's a shame you gave up on the more realistic concept, I was happy to see someone take that approach. Sadly, you're probably right to choose a different design. It seems to me that the second titan image is going back to less over-the-top proportions, I like that. Good luck.

Art2
02-21-2008, 07:13 AM
Robert, Anitarf thanks guys.
Just spitting out these sketches and hope I find the right balance.
But I'm sticking with the Warlord concept, although images of other classes run around in my mind too :)

Jassar
02-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Cool concept, I liked the second guy alote..
Cheers!

DrFx
02-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Cool concepts! I liked the second one better, too! The stone glove idea is great also! I think you could spice up the rock with some shiny crystals and whatnot.
Good luck!

OKMER
02-21-2008, 11:48 PM
haha, difficut to resist the dark sidehan??!
I know you would bring in some more over the top anyhow!!!lol.
Nice sketches Art2,curious whatta you'll come up with, as i see you're still a tiny bit hesitating.
Cheers buddy!!!
Patatje oorlog!!!l

rawwad
02-23-2008, 03:30 PM
See you choose rock element too. Nice concepts, love the big one. Good luck! Victory to CGS!:buttrock:

Swizzle
02-23-2008, 04:48 PM
Post some updates here—I want to see what you've decided on because they're all pretty nice concepts. :D

Art2
02-25-2008, 10:24 AM
Ok, I've thrown the Rock Titan Warlord idea into the bin :)
I figured there are many Warlord walking around already.
Here's something completely different.

Race: Human/Demon hybrid
Class: Dancer/Assassin
Artefact: Whip
Element: Darkness/Void

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/Dancer01.jpg

I'll let this one sink a bit and see what else I can come up with.
I don't want the costume and her appearance to be too complicated, keeping some signature traits. So she'll be instantly recognizable when coming out of the shadows for example.

Let me know what you guys think.

CharlesVarenne
02-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Nice sketch, nice starting concept. But I will for sure push it further. For now it is a bit blend. To follow your idea I will exagerate a bit a very clear silouhette, by making her really thin and tall for example.

LavenPillay
02-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Wehey! Thats some wicked sketching, dude!

I'm with Charles on the "add more" count, tho.

Maybe, to keep with her shadowy feel, add someflowing bits to the clothes ? Off the back from the shoulders or something ?

Its a very tight concept, but (for the nature of the comp) just needs a bit of... oomph! ;)

KP
02-26-2008, 07:40 AM
Your most recent is looking real promising, and Im going to be a lemming and agree with LavenPillay and Charles. It just needs a little extra something. I would start by exagerating proportions. But I also wanted to say that I checked out your website, and your character Ssslog is really interesting. I would love to see you come up with a similar concept for this war. Something kinda toony and out there.

Airflow
02-26-2008, 09:52 AM
Looks cool to me, I just restarted my concepts too. Its pretty difficult to come up with somthing killer and different at the same time..
Love the work, just make her more sinister.

Art2
02-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Charles, Laven, KP, Robert, thanks guys. I couldn't agree with you guys more.
So I've added and changed some things to make it more Oomph! (I hope..)

Horns and goat feet... she's half demon after all :D
http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/Dancer01c.jpg

Mask on!
http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/Dancer01d.jpg

Hideyoshi
02-26-2008, 02:21 PM
very nice concept so far!
Though she definintely needs a bit more detail I think.
I know you want more simple shapes, but some eye-catchy stuff wouldn't hurt! :)
I like the half-masked face better. But I guess you could just run with both versions in the end and have some variation face detail shots...
keep it up!

OKMER
02-26-2008, 04:25 PM
Heel lekker!!!
Love where you taking this!
Absolutely want more!

Art2
02-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Lorenz, thanks! I'll add detail stuff later on, don't know exactly what tho, maybe things in her hair, amulets, more detailed chastity belt...
Remko, :beer:

Some headstudy. I will make some more. Side view, full masked, experiment with different mask prints etc.

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/Dancer_head01.jpg

LavenPillay
02-28-2008, 12:49 PM
Bloody 'ell. Your concepts look fk'n great, dude!

She should definately be half- or full-masked.

The extra head horn is great!

And maybe just a touch more calf-muscle ?

You're a ZBrush master too, aren't you ? ;)

OKMER
02-28-2008, 01:28 PM
Great head studies!
Maybe it could be cool to make pass the textile over the horns also.
Some kinda hornmask...:)
Toaly crazy stuff friend!Love that!

KP
02-28-2008, 05:47 PM
hey art2, just wanted to throw in my 2cents. I like the mask being down, makes her more mysterious. Im not feelin the little elbow horn, seems to tacked on. I think you should still play with her body type because right now she seems to much like a twilek from star wars. The horns seem fine, those are pretty unique. But I just think the body should be more demonic and sinister, or just exagerated beyond hoof feet. You can still keep her feminin and play with the body type at the same time.

Ok Im done, other than that i think you got a good piece coming along here.

MartinNielsen
03-04-2008, 07:28 PM
Hey, good work. :thumbsup:

I don't think you have to make anything exaggerated on this character to make it look cool and special. You can do a lot with the skin, clothing and attitude. I think it's great what you are doing with it, and you should continue down this road :)

Airflow
03-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Real cool. its inspired me to take my faceblade further and make it more detailed.

walrus
03-05-2008, 02:08 PM
It's looking great, Marlon! I love what you've done with her hair. :) THe idea of covering the face is interesting, but the markings you have on the cloth right now just say "clown" to me, so I have trouble taking it seriously. What about some different marks? Arcane symbols, maybe? Or something right rough edges, like brush caligraphy. Will you have similar marks on the rest of her outfit - the clothing design is fine now, but it would be nice to see another layer of detail on top of what you've got now - it's a tad too "clean." Anyhow, keep moving forward, and good luck!

Art2
03-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys for the comments!

Laven, no I'm not :) Wish there were 48 hours in a day so I can actually spend some time and master Zbrush :(

Remko, I have extended the fabric of the mask to cover more of her hair, like in the original drawing. :thumbsup:

KP, I got rid of the elbow horn and gave her pinky wings instead :D
The body type, that's a hard one... You're right that I want to keep her feminin. She's a dancer type :D and I guess I don't want too loose to much of her sensuality. She's also half demon, so it's a bit difficult to find the real balance.

Martin, really appreciate those words :)

Robert, I'm keeping an eye on your progress my friend :thumbsup: Glad I could be of help.

Mike, haha yeah last week I asked my 3 year old son what he thinks about the face, and first thing he said was "I like the clown!" ... :scream:
So yeah, that print had to go! :D
I'm still not sure what to put on her mask, I'm saving that for later :shrug:

Ok, next update took a little more time than planned.
Had to figure some things out...
Suddenly I realised the logo and colours of our great society is not a match with her clothes design. So I had to come up with something completely different. Also I wanted to add some hint of post apocalyptic fashion, I don't know if I succeeded thou, haha...
Changed the horns too. I thought with the old horns her front silhouette was not that hot.
Those are the major changes I guess. Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/assasin04b.jpg

KP
03-05-2008, 10:55 PM
Hey Art, shes really comin along nicely!

I especially like your last render. The new head/horn design is nice I think I prefer it over the old one. But its a hard choice haha. My two comments would be on her wings and her armor.

The armor in the stomach area looks way to stiff, like she would have a hard time moving in that. Just think about how the torso would bend in all directions, and how you can segment the armor to accommodate that.

The wing thing seems ok, its just buggin me how it connects with the hand itself, just seems tacked on or not part of her. I would say dont be afraid of messing up those hands and making them real sinister and gnarly.

Shes lookin nice, keep up your good work! :D

Art2
03-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Kurt, thanks for the comments!

She's not wearing armour, except for the metal knee guard and her pants.
She wears some kind of corset :D, so it should be flexible.

The wings were supposed to be rudimentary wings as the result of her being a human/demon hybrid. I agree with you that they looked tacked on, so I got rid of those.
I gave her thumb and pinky claws instead :) Not all the fingers, because I'd like her to be able to hold her weapon/artefact.

I also tried something else with her mask. I think I'll keep it for now.

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/assasin04c.jpg

KP
03-08-2008, 06:37 AM
Ah okay, I can see the corset thing now. Nice touch. And I'm liking the claw idea, would look real wicked once shes gripping that sword :D

And I agree, the mask is good. Also I like the new sash on the side, subtle things like that really add that little something to a character

Art2
03-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Just a quick cartoony sketch to visualize the weapon and her power.

The weapon is inspired by a shaolin staff with on the other end a mirror.
Out of the mirror comes smoky tentacle that's dragging and sucking in the enemie.

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/thumbz01.jpg
Robot is a stand in btw :D

Another idea is that her staff opens up a rift in time and space, sucking in her enemies, a gateway to limbo.

KP
03-08-2008, 09:12 PM
Nice sketch, shows her character a lot better. I think its a good idea, run with it :D

RedFish
03-08-2008, 09:44 PM
nice image, looking forward to the finished peice

BloodTaster
03-09-2008, 12:10 AM
cool stuff man! I really liked the last skecth.Maybe you can use this kind of action in your final illustration, looks promising:thumbsup:

inneractive
03-09-2008, 06:17 AM
Just wanted to saw I enjoy your sketches. I'll be stopping by often ;p

MartinNielsen
03-09-2008, 09:36 AM
That looks kind of funny :) The robot looks rather surprised. Does your character prefer sneak attacks?

kadeschui
03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Wonderful work so far, this is one of my favorite concepts - love the "chastity belt" lock! Only suggestion I have would be to make the neck slightly longer to make her seem more elegant perhaps...keep up the great work!

Airflow
03-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I was thinking, maybey her weapon should be on her body or armor. If she has like some kind of metal ring, could be designed like an eye seeing as she is blind. This could be the portal she opens up. Plus it means she cant loose her weapon and anyone that gets close to her is in trouble.

Great work btw.
Ps Ive updated. I think this is the last concept Im doing :).

Art2
03-11-2008, 03:39 PM
KP, thanks again!
RedFish, thanks! Me too :) I already have some ideas for the finished piece, but that has to wait for now.
Bloodtaster, thank you! It will be this kind of action (slightly more dramatic :D ) or one where she opens up a rift underneath her, sucking in the Machines.
Inneractive, thank you!
Martin, she's supposed to be a Shadow Dancer/Assassin. I guess sneaking is part of her repertoire :) I don't know if I'll incorporate the sneaking in the final image thou. She'll probably be dancing :D
kadeschui, thanks man! Long neck, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try it and make it a bit longer :thumbsup:
Robert, not a bad idea mate, thanks. Sound idea too, but for now I'll leave her armour as is and move further. Also I've stayed away from eyes in weapons in armour etc, because it reminded me too much of the SoulCalibre sword :)

I've been playing with weapon design for a bit. Keeping it real and not too complicated.
The artefact is a magic mirror, which had been found many centuries ago. It is dated before the time of technology. Rest of the story will come later :D
Ok, the mirror was stuck on a staff by some smart guy, so it could be effectively used as a weapon.

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/weapons.jpg
staff and swords are of different scale.

KP
03-11-2008, 05:35 PM
To me it feels like the third one (from the the left) has the most functionality. Because if need be she can swing it almost like a long axe because of the blades on the frame of the mirror. Also the bottom end would pierce easier into the enemy. Maybe flip the fins on the side of it so its a tad more spear/arrow like but without the same design of an arrow head ya know? The swords are cool but seem to not mach the elegance and ornate design the staff does. and because its a small sword, you could get a little crazy with the design. Less material means cheeper costs, which means room for artistic design (as far as smithing goes). But dont quote me on that I am, never been, do not know, a blacksmith. Anyway, your rendering is nice I know you'll put a lot of love into the final piece, should look awesome. Are you lurking around conceptart? Im sure some folks there would be happy to help as well.

Art2
03-17-2008, 12:03 PM
KP, thanks again for your valued feedback my friend!
I think I'll go with option 3 with the bottom piece of option 1 for cutting and limb severing :)
But everything still can change and suggestions are appreciated.
You also have a point regarding the small sword, they look a bit dull :hmm: Guess I've put functionality a bit too much on the foreground :)

Here are some more sketches, mainly to get to know the character.
Next I'll attend to the more serious business of the different views (back/front/side)
I'm really itching to start modelling her in Zbrush... :D Maybe when the comp is over and I have some free time.

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/thumbz03.jpg

http://www.marlonart.nl/web/DomWarIII/pose01.jpg

KP
03-17-2008, 08:15 PM
Lookin real good :D

I didnt know you were going to model her! awesome, I just thought you were going for 2D concept. Cant wait to see the zbrush work :D

rawwad
03-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Fantastic working man! Love your character poses and movement doodles:)

Maxter
04-03-2008, 07:31 PM
You have some very nice designs here, the thumbnails looks great too. I like the third staff design:thumbsup:

Art2
04-03-2008, 08:34 PM
Thanks guys, really appreciate the comments!

I must admit, I was a bit unmotivated lately to finish this challenge :(
But seeing some of the near finished pieces and model sheets, I think I got back my motivation...
And also the changed deadline helps a bit too :)

Hope to present you with some updates the coming days.

Cheers.

CGTalk Moderation
04-03-2008, 08:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.