PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 3D - GavinG - Abomination

GavinG
02-17-2008, 05:53 AM
Alright guys, I'm in and am fighting for good ol' CGS. Although I don't have any sketches made yet...not even sur eif i officially can yet (?) But the main idea I'm going with is that this huge monster biped is kept alive with holy gauntlets. The problem is that the gauntlets, although magical, are cursed and intelligent (Dungeons and Dragons DM's guide for the win!) So, they have taken control of his body and force him to carry out their wishes, "KILL KILL KILL" They use holy magic to keep him alive and regenerate him as he takes damage in battle. Healing him up to cause more damage to their enemies. Obviouslly, it's all work in progress... I'm still not even sure on the name "Golem" "Flesh Golem" or "Automaton"

But, to break it down to the guidelines-

Name: Abomination
Race: Undead/Mutant
Class: Warlord
Artifact Weapon: Gauntlets - Darkness/void

Let me know what you guys think! I'll most likely have sketches once all of this is officially underway...just brainstorming now and hoping that work doesn't keep me too busy during the comp :)

Good luck everyone.
Gav

OKMER
02-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Sounds great Gavin!!!Love the "keep him alive gauntlets" idea!!!
Great choice!
See ya later,cheers!

CoNSeptiC
02-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Holy magic gauntlets batman, Can't wait to see what you come up with! If last year's entry was anything to go by it should be pretty sweet

GO CGS:buttrock:

Digiegg
02-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey Gav,
I really liked your last war's entry. Love the feel of it. Your description about your character seem very interesting. Can't wait to see the concepts.

LavenPillay
02-17-2008, 09:12 AM
Sounds groovy, Gav.

For inspiration/ideas, just off the top of my head, if you don't already know him, check out a character called "Calibretto" from a comic called Battle Chasers (by Joe Madureira).
He's a big-a$$, magical, golem.

And in the same comic theres a young girl with Huge Magical Gauntlets too! ;)

Matellis
02-17-2008, 09:41 AM
Good to see you entered Gavin! I am digging the idea now get sketching!. call work and tell them you quit! ;)

Cheers man

dnk
02-17-2008, 10:18 AM
I think it will be huge as always. :bowdown:
Good luck!

Hazardous
02-17-2008, 10:21 AM
That sounds totally sweet dude, i love the gauntlet idea. :buttrock:

erik_j
02-17-2008, 01:02 PM
sounds cool! :D hope you can get some more range in colour and ornaments or so this year, feels like your last years deserved a higher place if not for the bare or 'naked' impression of it... good luck!

GerardDunleavy
02-17-2008, 01:30 PM
Awesome idea for the gauntlets!, almost like they are a paracite leeching off the golem, can't wait to see some sketchs

inneractive
02-17-2008, 04:13 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing your work Gavin.

GavinG
02-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Wow! Such a response already :) Cheers guys, hoping to get at the sketching soon, hehe. Glad you guys are digging the ideas. I'm hoping to play with some proportions and use more colours and gear this year.

LavenPillay: Thanks for the ref! I've only checked out a little of Battle Chasers but always found it interesting :)

Gav

Loukor
02-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Hail! Great to see you here Gavin, lets kick some ass and goodluck to you!

cabertevon
02-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Best of luck Gavin:thumbsup:

dronetheories
02-18-2008, 01:32 AM
Just wanted to drop in and wish you luck and I'll be checkin back often! It's going to be a crazy war...

GavinG
02-18-2008, 01:42 AM
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the positive feedback. Just wanted to post a quick sketch of the body shape..I'll be adding the armor and stuff afterwards once I figure it out, I find tha tI'm drifting straight to "fantasy" which may be a little out of the guidelines...so I'll have to go through a few revisions, no doubt. Plus, i need to settle on a face.

Either way, going with a big huge, knuckle dragging, mindless killing machine. Want to show the big cuts him im with exposed magic...the magic being the healing effect taking place. Not sure if I should go with green or not, migh tbe too Hulkish. Maybe make it a little less saturated? We shall see.

Obviously...I'm no concept artist, I get real lazy with drawing..but I need "something" to work off of :P Using a lot of Jordu Schell and Carlos Huante as reference.

Cheers!
Gav

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/golem_wip01.jpg

Anuxinamoon
02-18-2008, 01:42 AM
This sounds like it will be really cool! I like the gauntlet idea and dnd inspiration <3
Good luck!

MatthewNovak
02-18-2008, 01:51 AM
Siiick! That looks awsome, good luck bud.:)

caseofchill
02-18-2008, 02:12 AM
Looks like the child of the hulk and a teenage mutant ninja turtle;-) Like the idea behind the concept. I'm sure it will turn out great. Keep refining.

fluxist8070
02-18-2008, 02:14 AM
nice!
I think the intense green is working really nice against the other muted greens.
good luck!

kary
02-18-2008, 03:15 AM
Now thats an interesting twist on light / holy, almost sounds more classically dark with mind control and healing through battle pain, etc. It'd be interesting to see the gauntlets in early, since they're pretty key.

I like the non classic finger and toe arrangement, seems to project the 'brute' quality that... and his utter massiveness helps too :) Look forward to watching this one.

Swizzle
02-18-2008, 03:28 AM
This should be pretty awesome, Gav. I know already that you're really great at doing huge muscley guys, so I can't wait to see you get started on the modeling.

GavinG
02-18-2008, 03:48 AM
Hey!

kary: Thanks! It's funny that you mention that. I was talking about this idea with my wife this morning while walking around the city and she was saying how it seems more evil than good. I got thinking about it and I think my idea of "good" is a little twisted. SO I may have to change it to evil/dark powers...as they are keeping him alive through possession/curse rather than like...y'know...doing something nice. No biggie :)

Good point about the gauntlets, they're sort of a key factor. The more I think about it, the more evil I'm thinking about making them look. Probably go with a bunch of glowy bits to make them look powerful and magical...was thinking about having "claws" on them that attach themselves to his body...digging into his skin so he caan't take them off.

Swizzle, FLUXIST8070, MatthewNovak, Anuxinamoon, caseofchill: Thanks :)

Obmoc
02-18-2008, 04:45 AM
That is a sick idea man. The gauntlets being stuck would add some visual flair. Where were you going to put the gauntlets? I was thinking the forearms is the most common but what about maybe even the calfs have gauntlets. It would appear the magic is holding all the anatomy together. Check out my idea and leave some feedback man. Sound great. My characters name is Caiden Storm.

LavenPillay
02-18-2008, 05:33 AM
Looks like the child of the hulk and a teenage mutant ninja turtle;-) Like the idea behind the concept. I'm sure it will turn out great. Keep refining.

Hahahah! Oh thats funny.

Lookin' good, Gav.
I also like the "sen up" bits.
Maybe combine that with your gauntlets being fused in idea and take it further along the lines of :
The guantlets are constantly "feeding" off him and the ends of the claws become tentacles inside his body.
Then you could maybe have some tentacles/tendrils coming out of the holes in his body.
That'll look pretty cool, i think.

Story Idea
And maybe if the Gauntlets ARE Evil, the character could still be Good. Sorta like, despite the fact that the Guantlets exact a Heavy Price from his mind and his body, he still continues to use the Evil Artifact for Good.

Go, go, go!:thumbsup:

GavinG
02-18-2008, 07:58 AM
LavenPillay: Thanks man! I'll see what i can do about the tentacles through the body. It would be pretty neat if these things are like...growing through him, keeping him together.

Obmoc: Cheers. As for the calves and stuff, I'm not sure what I'm going to go with. i was actually thinking of just doing big studded plates or leather wraps to try and draw more focus to the artifact. I was thinking if, for example, he ha d abig fancy belt it might take attention away from his huge ass gauntlets...which are kind of a focal point to his "character"

Just some doodles on what I was thinking for the gauntlets...definitely going more towards evil now. I like the one on the left more, big, clunky...but the right one may be more "futuristic" with it's tubes and curved edges, might help take me away from solid fantasy. Thoughts?

Basically the idea is that it's a huge clunky gauntlet that attaches itself to the victim / wearer...in this case Golem. Going to use our logo on the head plate of the 'skull" and use glowy magic and studs to make it look...special, I guess :)

Thanks again!
Gav

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/golem_wip02.jpg

AlltracAdrian
02-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Cool start! Looking forward to seeing the progression :thumbsup:

DrFx
02-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Wow, great idea and sketches, Gavin! I like the left Gauntlet better, too. It reminds me a bit of the Alien Face Hugger, perhaps it could be some kind of mix between organic and armour plate thing.
Are you using any more armor? Or just leaving the golem like a huge mass of something?

madshooter
02-18-2008, 08:58 AM
Nice start with concept, looks cool:) All the best for this challenge:thumbsup:

dmonk
02-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Nice idea Gavin! Li=ove the magic seeping though the seams bit. Looking forward to this being a hit like your last one.

Ragnar3D
02-18-2008, 09:20 AM
Great :) very cool idea, always!
Keep it up!

Matellis
02-18-2008, 09:31 AM
Hey Gav great start , very powerful looking character you got going on here :D

*raises his bottle of Keiths*

Cheers man!

OKMER
02-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Extreme brutal force is in the air here!!!
Crush their faces into the ground bb!!!
Great start dude!!!Cheers
:beer:
:beer:

kary
02-18-2008, 05:39 PM
Heh I'd have to agree with her, light might be associated with the healyness, but the mind control is the really key point ;).

I like the skull direction on the gaunts. That sells it quickly -- shot in the dark might be to play with horns coming from it that dig into the skin. I guess it'd be hard to get that to work as the wrist twists to much, but something saying that the gaunts are (in a way) attacking him might be cool. Your point earlier about green is ringing true to me (Hulkish), have you thought about a yeti or big foot (white or brown) palette? That'd be a big monstrous guy, who isn't inherently evil, but would be completely enraged at his situation. It'll be really interesting to see how you tell that story in the model, it's a complicated relationship to express, but has a ton more depth then the genre stereotypes.

I like your direction here so far, can't wait to see your modeling, but it's time well spent sketching this stuff early :)

GavinG
02-19-2008, 12:29 AM
Hey guys!

Thanks for your response, haven't had much time to sketch stuff up. Been a little busy with work today (lame) but I'm hoping to have something to show in the next little while.

DrFX: I'm still unsure on the res tof the armor, I'm thinking maybe some type of studded leather gladiator type thing. For the most part he's going to be mostly exposed though, getting extra non muscular detail from the big wounds...I 'ike doing organic stuff and haven't really had the opportunity to do it lately, so I'm going to go that route...plus, he's so big, putting full armor or something on him would look weird, I think.

Matellis: YES! Ketih's = W1N

kary: Cheers man. For the gauntlets, I'm thinking of turning the top metal ring into a sort of "crown" for the skull where the points sink into his skin...underneith the actual gauntlet face, I'm probably going to make some kind of segmented, high tech armor stuff to make it look a little less fantasy..As for the relationship and showing that in the final product, I'm think of making the rest of him fairly minimal and giving his face a sort of lifeless look. like some kind of love child of the Hulk, Gollum and Ephialtes :P Keeping the rest fairly simple, I'm hoping to show his simple mindedness that may have lead him to the gauntlets. It'll be tough, for sure...that's just an idea, heh. Speaking of Hulk. Yeah, the green may be a problem. I'll probably just tone it down to a sort of greenish white or make it more towards yellow... Once the time comes, it'll be an easy test :D

Thanks again guys!
Gav

erik_j
02-19-2008, 07:49 AM
more armour sounds good, I'd avoid too much nakedness in concept atleast, can always take away later but hard to avoid sticking with what you have and not change/add to it later if it'd be needed etc :)

riu
02-19-2008, 08:09 AM
Man i'm excited to see yours progress, everything i've seen from you has been nothing short of phenomenal.

as far as the armor, I'm thinking since he's so big and that he's basically just a possessed grunt and any harm to his body has no harm to the possessive properties of the gauntlets (that is if i understood the mythos you wrote for this correctly) then why not just be simple and economical, just drape some leather hides over him with some crude stitching. some leather tanned, some fresh, some poorly cut, and some just stolen off of others. layer up where he needs extra padding and just make a mess of layers of leather, imagine just a stack of 6 hides bound by cord for the shoulder pads and maybe his weapons other than the gauntlets are nothing more than rocks and boulders tied on to a split end of a tree trunk with ropes to lash it together. It may be crude but its still enough to bash someones face in.

fx81
02-19-2008, 12:53 PM
hey Gavin, not sure if your Golem falls into the magical golum catagory but just in case check out this rules update by Fred

Race:
You can create any organic, demonic or undead race: Alien, vampire, angel, succubus, skeleton, mutant, elf, human, fish, pixy, treant, giant... Anything! Only exception: No robots, metal constructs, magical golums, cyborgs, steam engines, steam equipment or anything with electronics.

if thats the case then i think u can still keep the design and do some minor changes.

Elestrin
02-19-2008, 01:11 PM
The idea is coming along really well. One thing with the gauntlets, it might be really interesting if they were more like invasive plants, rather like vines that grow and choke the life out of trees. If there is a concern about the golem being questionable per the rules, maybe making the gauntlets more organic/parasitic might be a good solution.

GavinG
02-19-2008, 04:15 PM
erik_j: Cheers :)

riu: Yeah man! exactly. Something along those lines, something pretty simple and barbaric.

fx81: Hey Mashru! Thanks for the heads up, I "think" i might be safe though. I'm thinking he's referring to a more classic version of a golem...like a big robotic dude or an inanimate object given life. Mine is just more of a mutant who has been possessed by a magical item...making him a sort of undead creature. I'm probably not doing myself any favours by naming it "Golem" when it CLEARLY says I can't do that creature in the rules...but I like the name, DW3 - GavinG - "Giant Freakin' Killing Machine Possessed and Healed By Creept Gauntlets" Doesn't have the same ring to it :D

Thanks again guys!
Gav

jbrophy
02-19-2008, 05:05 PM
Double check G. I would hate for you to be disqualified :)

SergioSantos
02-19-2008, 05:15 PM
this is gonna be a kick ass warrior!

jocz
02-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Name: Golem
Race: Undead/Mutant

I think that its clearely not a golem, but you might have to change his name to be sure; or juste ask an admin.
Besides that, great concept !
good luck

GavinG
02-19-2008, 07:14 PM
Cheers guys. Checking now with the powers that be. The odds seem to be in my favour, it seems most people see where he's not an actual golem..worst case scenario so far seems to be a name change (open to suggestions! I think all of the ones i listed before are more or less "golem" like...what about "Abomination"?) I'll keep you guy updated as soon as I get official word if I'm breaking the rules.

WORD!
Gav

Matellis
02-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Call him camel toe! hehe nah im joking. I have the same problem right now too. I really need to change my characters name. If I come up with anything clever i will let you know!

Cheers

Loukor
02-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Colossus
Goliath
"Abomination" sounds good too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_%28mythology%29

Cheers

GavinG
02-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Alright, just got word that it's safe as long as it's not mechanical looking :)

As for the name, Goliath sounds pretty cool :D

Cheers!
Gav

erik_j
02-19-2008, 10:41 PM
Gavin Goulden's Giant Goliath!... Good?... or Great!? :D

crit: musculature feels very overall maxed out and undynamic.. might seem more convincing if some parts are scrawny (yet big boned?) or fat... maybe make him look malnourished while still muscular? (do the gauntlets let him break for lunch? :D)

mrkite
02-20-2008, 12:07 AM
cool one gav, it might look more powerful if some areas of its physique aren't so heavily developed to contrast with the upper body and torso?

Loukor
02-20-2008, 12:23 AM
Gavin Goulden's Giant Goliath!... Good?... or Great!? :D

crit: musculature feels very overall maxed out and undynamic.. might seem more convincing if some parts are scrawny (yet big boned?) or fat... maybe make him look malnourished while still muscular? (do the gauntlets let him break for lunch? :D)

Sounds great, I second that hahaaha

GavinG
02-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Haha :D

erik_j: Good point man, I'm going to try and find some time to do some better sketches here soon.

kite: Thanks you crazy person you! I'm thinking about following something like this-

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f1/The_Creech.jpg/300px-The_Creech.jpg

http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/Spawn_Creech.jpg

For his body type. HUGE shoulders hands and feet but making his head, waist and quads smaller. Hoping that that will through some contrast in there and make it interesting to look at.

Thanks!
Gav

dronetheories
02-20-2008, 01:58 AM
some other good ref. If you havnt looked it up yet...
baine from batman (i think its spelled that way)
Zombie version of hulk
90's comic called Beast-may be hard to find

I would have posted the links but im flying to GDC conf. Right now.... Sorry.

Eraserhead
02-20-2008, 02:57 AM
The Creech... great comic. :)

samarcbz
02-20-2008, 04:55 AM
wow man this is gonna be badass. cant wait to see the final concept.. best of luck
even i m in warlord class.
big fan of ur works.

bradjames
02-20-2008, 02:59 PM
GavinG: This is a great idea and I like the direction you are taking this. Looking for to your updates

Obmoc
02-20-2008, 03:38 PM
Hey Gav, Still love the way it's looking. Here's a pic for reference. Everyone my wip thread is lacking. Characters name is Caiden Storm. I could really use some feedback.

GavinG
02-21-2008, 08:30 AM
Hey hey,

Was talking to kite a bit and got some ideas for a new direction on his form. Wha tI'm afraid of is, although he would be quite tank like, just reading as a box. So, playing for his shape a little more...what do you guys think of something like this. Obviously, something like this would never happen in the real world :)

Better...Worse? I'm hoping to start with a base mesh here soon...work's been consuming my soul lately, hopefully will have some free time soon!

Cheers and thanks for lookin'
Gav

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/golem_wip03.jpg

Loukor
02-21-2008, 08:49 AM
I like it :thumbsup:, it shows off a nice contrast and silhouette.

GrM
02-21-2008, 08:57 AM
I like this new silhouette better. It reads more as a kickass killer and also echoes less of your BHG:challenge creature. I love the gauntlet idea, and I cant wait to see this come along; Im a big fan of your style!

riu
02-21-2008, 10:25 AM
very nice.

i always thought your designe was a little reminiscent of the creech.

you might want to bulk up the legs a little, the new sillhouette, although very nice and agressive looks like it might topple over a little easy with those legs.

also if you add a little more emissive designs in the belt or chest area it would look pretty cool

can't wait to see the next thing you do with this one

vshen
02-21-2008, 11:01 AM
I agree with rui, i think you should bulk up the legs around the ankle area so it can justify the support of the upper body. It will give your character a strong base. Other than that I like the direction you are going. Keep up the Good Work!

Rezeroth
02-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Yea..i agree. I think that the legs could be a lil thicker considering having those huge massive arms.. Now it looks a lil cartoony sort. Are you after that direction? I think that the spawn character you're refering does have quite big legs to support himself too right? LOL Great as always :D Keep em coming!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My DW (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=234&t=597980)
My Deviantart (http://numioh.deviantart.com/)

Obmoc
02-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Gav, I like the new concept the large hands give the character a very unique silhouette. Should be very recognizible. Plus he looks badass as a big guy.

ScudzAlmighty
02-21-2008, 01:44 PM
hey Gavin, love the new design( 's one of my fav body type's) and now i don't have to track down a pic of the Creech animated figure, question for you though, in the contest rules it says
"No robots, metal constructs, magical golums, etc" which is kinda dumb since golums aren't really machines in the same way as the others. i hate too bring it up, but hate even more to see an awesome concept not get approved, ---edit---although reading the first page againmaybe i've just gone on a pointless rant ---end edit---

for the rest of the armour/clothes, what about the torn and battered flesh of the competitions entrants? i was thinking of something like this for my own characters base, basically going through the "know your enemy" thread grab a few of the more intimadting entries torso's, limbs, etc and having them skinned and stretched into clothing?
regardless, looking forward to updates

erik_j
02-21-2008, 06:05 PM
the new design reads very well! well balanced proportions and flow.
I personally don't buy the green thing though :/ feels both polycount and not so holy/light-ish.. not that cgtalk or holy/light can't use green though I guess.. and that's rather subjective too...
the glow from within body makes him remind me of those guys in warcraft3 anyhow.. (the comet guys). besides, your last one had sort of glowing stuff from inside body..
head might come off as not so exciting... if you hadn't planned so already I think he needs more personality.. your DWII entry had a stunning face!
also as some have noted elsewhere, seems to be a trend this year with hulky chars with cartoonishly tapered legs with small feet.. so you know and can wager if you want to beat them or be different :)
sorry for many and imposive crits :P really hoping your entry will kick butt like last year and more so, that's why :) keep it up!

GavinG
02-22-2008, 08:34 AM
Wowzers, lots of feedback! Thanks guys :)

Loukor: thanks!

GrM: Thnaks man. Yeah. I'm trying to avoid resembling my past work...even though he's a big angry dude. I actually thought about giving him a big demon face belt buckle but decided against it becaus elast year's entry had the ol' belly motuh.

riu: good point, for sure. One of my favorite comic artists is Liefeld...so it's made me sort of cheap out on feet :D Once i start modeling I'll probably give more girth to the ankles and bigger feet so it looks more...natural, i guess.

vshen: Cheers!

Rezeroth: Thanks man! Yeah, it may be coming off as a little cartoony. The thing i wanted to avoid, like with Creech, is that i didn't want him to read like a box :P I wa sorigianlly going to go with huge legs, but I dunno, I think the smaller legs and elongated torso....kind of like Hellboy's proportions, is more "fun" :) Not sure how cartoony I'll go, I want to go ape shit with the details in the sculpt...maybe some kind of marriage between the two...

Obmoc: Thanks man :)

ScudzAlmighty: Yeah, I had a heart attack when the new rules were posted...but I asked Fred over at GA and he said it was fine. i'm going to change this guy;s name to avoid confusion...I think my definition of golem, being a D&D nerd, is more like Frankenstein...where as his definition, which is actually the more technical one, is giving life to an inanimate source. So...if this guy was mechanical I'd be disqualified...but since he's goign to be more of a zombie dude, it's allllllll good. The torn flesh idea is pretty bad ass, definitely intimidating. What I'm going to do is make the HP of his body and the gauntlets and just build the costume around that. Upper body armor would be minimal, I'm thinking at most a pad of spikes on his arm...I was cruising around the interweb a few days ago and found a ton of pics of Hulk dressed up in gladiator armor (World War Hulk or something)...I'll probably hijack a bunch of that :)

erik_j: Hah! Yeah man, I've got a crush on glowy stuff it seems :) CGSociety's colours, i guess, is red. You think red glowy bits would go better? I'm thinking his skin is going to be more yellow than green now...And I need to change it from holy to dark (thanks for reminding me) A few posts back I had the revelation that what I think is holy actually isn't. Although they heal him, they control his mind and practically making him a killing machine for their own agenda, which i guess is evil. No worries about the crits man, that's what it's all about :)

Doodled a head tonight while waiting for renders to finish...

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/golem_wip04.jpg

Thanks for looking and again, thanks for all the replies guys!
Gav

bradjames
02-22-2008, 12:00 PM
The face is looking great. Lots of character in him...keep it coming

ScudzAlmighty
02-22-2008, 11:25 PM
love the new face, :thumbsup:

as far as the whole "holy" thing goes, i suppose (and forgive if i've started a flame war) your defenition would be more towards organized religion, at least during the dark ages, crusades, etc.?

GavinG
02-22-2008, 11:54 PM
Hey guys!

bradjames: thanks dude :)

scudz: No worries, I could use a good flame war :P Yeah, that's pretty much what I was saying. I think good and evil is a matter of opinion, y'know? But to avoid getting dinged by the judges and just to avoid even more controversy, I'll just make him evil, hehe.

Gav

nathanmckenna
02-23-2008, 08:31 AM
:bounce:sweeet, this guy looks so pissed. Maybe one day he got kicked in the teeth by a really dumb horse that left his hoof print there right in his face. Maybe thats why he's so angry at the world, poor guy, show him some love.

I dig the little thumbnail too, very communicative even if the proportions are way over I still see exactly what you want to say with this.

GavinG
02-23-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks!

Had a few hours to start roughing out the model today. Not much to show, but figured i'd toss an update up here. It's mostly just putting th eproportions into 3d, obviously some things are VERY blocked out. Thoughts?

Gav

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/abomination_wip01.jpg

mrkite
02-23-2008, 11:50 PM
great body shape and pose! i'd enlarge the gauntlets even more

nathanmckenna
02-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Nice!, really well balanced base :)
Keep blocking, I'd love to see some differant versions/routes you could go down, just keeping it basic for now until you feel you have the shape nailed (?).

GavinG
02-24-2008, 10:36 PM
Thanks guys!

While I was modeling him, I got to thinking that he doesn't look as intimidating as I'd like him to. Think i might save this body for a different character and head in a mildly different direction. After needing to change his name (went with Abomination, Goliath was cool but Titan is already taken for a similar character for the enemy side...so I wanted to do something a litle different :) ), looking at a bunch of Carlos Haunte and Brom's work and rewatching Planet Terror, I really want to push him into more of a mutated, sluggish monster.

The main idea is still there, but with some modifications. Thinking about adding giant chains to the gauntlets with weapons attached. Shown here is just spikey balls...but I'm thinking chains might be more practical. Sticks them into an opponents so they can't run away (since he's SUPER slow) and he just smushes them once they get close enough. Making the next longer, not as hunched, making him pretty fat with stubby legs...might also change his glowy bits to be red. Really wanted to play up his cuts and from where the gauntlets are healing him. Maybe the cuts are infected or the skin has grown over chunks that have stuck into him...big cysts forming on his body...slashed up skin...all that good stuff.

Hopefully this hiccup won't come to bite me in the end...we shall see!

Thoughts?

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/abomination_sketch01.jpg

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/abomination_sketch02.jpg

Thanks!
Gav

GavinG
02-24-2008, 11:22 PM
Something like this maybe?

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/abomination_sketch03.jpg

Gav

Loukor
02-24-2008, 11:42 PM
Reminds me of pudge from Dota or Stitches from WoW, I think he needs something on his shoulders or head. Silhouette looks good though, so far. Cheers

dmightyone
02-25-2008, 01:50 AM
i really like the idea of the chains added to the gauntlets and i like the second silhouette with those blades attatched to the chains better. to give him a more vicous look i'd give him some more triangular and pointy angles cause he is a little bit too rounded right now and i'd also make his feet much larger, maybe give him some massive boots, cause these small feet give him kind of a cartoonish feeling (which i guess you're not going for). just my opinion though, keep the amazing work going!!! :thumbsup:

polygonwarrior
02-25-2008, 02:51 AM
good work man.Our team is really looking solid.
Looking forward to ur work.

Lets destroy the enemies.:bounce:

erik_j
02-25-2008, 09:07 AM
yeah the new one looks more convincing :) last one was cool but it really gave him a more independent look.. gonna spew out some personal ideas: I think it's important for him to look slave-like and could perhaps make him very scary by making him look unpredictable, unaccountable and unaware of what's he really doing?.. but still awake in some extent? :P how about some sort of paralysis of some degree on... half face or.. a leg or something? I wanna see a sorry giant whose despair is a big part of the scare :P or that's according to my taste anyway :) keep it up!

LavenPillay
02-25-2008, 03:40 PM
Nice n solid! Looks good so far.

That black n' red picture really looks great, for what your character feels like.
The red eyes in the guantlets really work cos they make you wonder what the rest of the guantlets look like! :thumbsup:

Gauntlet attachment-wise, i dig both the spiked-ball (cos its got more weight like the rest of him) and the hook attachments (cos it feels more....painful to be on the receiving end of), so maybe one of each, if thats allowed ?

And i agree with mrkite : Make those guantlets ridiculously huge ! You can always tone it down later! ;)

Check the proportions out in this image. Its a character named Gully from Battlechasers by Joe Madureira (phew, thats a lot of words to cover legal issues. *grin*)

gerudir
02-25-2008, 04:21 PM
hey warrior i think your idea is warming up more and more good work

nathanmckenna
02-25-2008, 04:56 PM
Its really cool the way you're putting forward ideas in very basic silhouette forms, they're so well balanced and full of character - great to see you develop the legs like that, it emphasizes his weight really well.
I love the idea of the chains sticking to enemies until they're close enough to get mushed by this fat b*stard.

awesome.

caseyjones
02-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Solid start, Gav. I'm really liking the latest silhouette, especially the chains! Though I'm still waiting on seeing old Greentooth hidden away in there somewhere :P
I've alread fulfilled my end of the bargain so far.

-caseyjones

julienN
02-26-2008, 01:17 PM
Very nice, i love your characters.
Do you know a Character called Potemkin from the video game Guilty Gear?

Take a look here: http://www.sirlin.net/Features/potspriteani.gif and here http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8918/potemkin7bh.gif

GavinG
02-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Loukor: Cheers! Oddly enough, I've never actually played WoW...that guy looks pretty neat though :P

dmightyone: Good point man, and thanks. I was thinking about giving him big boots to go with the big gauntlets. Just to throw in some hard surface details to contrast with his naked chubby body :)

nandlaskar: Cheers!

erik_j: I totally agree man, I'll see what I can cook up!

LavenPillay: Thanks for the ref! I think both attachments would be allowed...I think somewhere someone said that the amount of weapons were pretty much unlimited but artifacts were one or two...something like that :)

gerudir: Thanks!

caseyjones: hahaha! That is awesome. i was just going to stick it on the bottom of his foot, but i may have to find a new place for it...I'd feel guilty tucking it away now :P

julienN: Sweet! i've only ever heard of Guilty Gear but never played. That guy look spretty funky. Thanks for the ref!

Should have an update soon model wise, thanks again for all the feedback guys.

Gav

Sanislov
02-26-2008, 04:56 PM
wow! its looking really good! I will wathing it:)

caseyjones
02-27-2008, 03:50 AM
I was actually considering calling my character Goulden, cos I couldn't come up with anything else. I think that would satisfy my end of the bargain even more so! Haha... MORE ART!

-caseyjones

GavinG
02-27-2008, 07:52 AM
Sanislov: Thanks man :)

casey: Hah, if you did that I think I'd have to sneak in greentooth into my next 5 characters...somehow :shrug:

Anyways! Did some more puttering with the model. The gauntlets and legs are still just blocked in. Trying to figure out the right size. Hoping to have it finished up and working on the sculpt here soon...but for now it's sleepy time :P Let me know what you guys think!

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/abomination_wip02.jpg

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/abomination_wip03.jpg
http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/abomination_wip04.jpg

Thanks again!
Gav

robomojo
02-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Looking pretty sweet, although I think the toothy maw and lack of surrounding cheek is making him look a bit ape-like for me.

OKMER
02-27-2008, 09:06 AM
is really starting to rock man!Seems like some big bad mo..... to me man!.
Nice idea the chain like gaubtlets there.Keep m coming!HAppy warrrrrr

erik_j
02-27-2008, 10:45 AM
excellent :) how about more of a fat throat under the jaw?
I'm very satisfied. kutgw :)

Vectorius
02-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Very nice start man! cool model. i'm agree with dmightyone about the legs and the feet. maybe you want too give him a cartoon style. but, with huge boots with maybe some chains, like he was prisoner cause of his incredible forces.

Keep goin on. :thumbsup:

GavinG
02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Hey! Thanks guys :)

robomojo: Yeah, looking at him now he may be a little too apey. Once I get him into ZB, I'll start pushing around. I'm hoping adding growths and stuff will add bulk to his face.

OKMER: Thanks buddy!

erik_j: Good thinking man, I'll make it so. Thanks :)

Vectorius: That's actually a pretty neat idea. I've been trying to think of "boots" for him but though the migh tlook weird with this huge body and normal legs with boots on them. not sure why. But it'd be if like...godzilla put slippers on before going smashy smashy. If I added shackles though, it could be cool, limit his mobility even more, add the detail "down there" that i need and enforce the prisoner type feel. Thanks for that!

Gav

kary
02-28-2008, 03:33 AM
The subscription method will make this easier :)

___

Ear placement below the cheekbone seems a little odd, whats your thinking on that one?

I like the bulge on the face, that kind of big asymtery in the face is fundementally creepy. Have you looked at it with the eyeside forehead running back at a flatter angle? Wondered if it might emphasize that even more.

I initially thought a more apelike posture would work, but on a second look that posture wouldn't neccesarily help. The reason I was thought ape was that the arms look like they could use more support. The body communiates that the gauntlets are heavy and almost pulling the arms, but with both the head and the arms ahead of the legs it seems like he'd tip forward naturally. Hard to guess at with the legs undone.

It got a lot more unique and vicious in the latest changes, good stuff. Shame we won't be seeing him do a slipper clad smashy smashy though, can't you just see him ripping the arms off someone then grinding the corpse into the dust with a pink bunny slipper? :D

rasmusW
02-28-2008, 07:45 AM
hey gavin!

wow! this just gets better and better. i love the last wip.
no crits.

-r

ColdKodiak
02-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Something like this maybe?

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/abomination_sketch03.jpg

Gav

uh.. yeah. Definately.
And your sfx addtions for the cuts and what not seem a good idea to me.

on the sihouette side of things:
I kind of prefer the big spiky ocean mine ball things instead. Little more interesting i suppose.

HappyCookie
02-28-2008, 08:19 AM
Don't know if you're still trying to give the feel he's not responsible for his actions because the gloves are driving him, and it might sound cheap, but you could try to give him a really sad face, with tears running down on his cheeks, showing that the last part of humanity in him is in an eternal agony.

naidoomahen
02-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Hey gav, dig the stitching on your characters body. Makes him much more aggressive

MDR
03-01-2008, 12:08 AM
As always your work rules dude cant wait to see the final version!

Cemondra
03-01-2008, 12:52 AM
Awesome work thus far, I prefer the more muscular version, like the comic ref you posted. The fat version with stitches and chains is fairly close to Warcraft's Abomination (http://users.bigpond.net.au/grovephelia/pictures/eolith01.jpg).

MartinNielsen
03-03-2008, 11:08 AM
Awesome work :thumbsup: I would go for the muscular version as well.

ThatDon
03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Gav, you're never on msn anymore :(

anyways, awesome progress man this guy is going to make another killer entry for your folio!

RedFish
03-06-2008, 02:42 AM
Hey man good to see you in it again this year, keep it up looking good

GavinG
03-06-2008, 04:08 AM
Wow, lots of posts :P

sorry guys, I've been stupidly busy with work lately...so, not many new updates from me. Just wanted to drop in and say thanks for posting :)

Kary: I think I'm going to actually remove the ear completely. I wanted to do it to add some assymetry, but I tihnk it looks a little goofy.

ThatDon: Yeah man, I'm trying to kick IM. Basically just on for work contacts so I don't get distracted.

MartinNielsen, RedFish, MDR, naidoomahen, Happy Cookie, rasmusW, ColdKodiak: Thanks!

Again, slow ass progress. Blocking in the hands and some leg thinigies. Nothins really final yet, so feel free to comment away. The width of the forearms is kind of sloppy as i knew they'd be covered by huge gauntlets :)

cheers,
Gav

http://www.gavimage.com/dw3/abomination_wip05.jpg

Loukor
03-06-2008, 04:14 AM
Pfffffffffft finally an update gawd.... hehe :D. Great start on the mesh, although I think the top part of his body could be a bit stronger,

- Shoulders could be a little bit bigger, not saying this because of the weight of his hands but because it seems too straight. Or reduce the size of those ... what do you call those muscles..., oh yea his Trapezius.

- btw.. Is that how the head is going to look?

Cheers mate

madshooter
03-06-2008, 04:37 AM
Proportion is perfect, only in my opinion you can move up the shoulders a bit. Definetely character will look cool after you start sculpting, I'm visualising it rightnow:).
Waiting for updates.

miscik
03-10-2008, 10:51 PM
dude! those silhouttes are awesome! looks like the mutant child from a threesome between Kratos, Hellboy and Frankenstien's monster. Hawt!!

i can't wait to see this one all finished up! you have a great bold chunky style!

darrenwhite
03-16-2008, 10:37 AM
awesome design especially with those cool chains, adds alot to the silhouette. I'm really looking forward to seeing more of your work on this.

GavinG
03-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey guys!

Thanks for the feedback, I've been really busy with work lately and haven't really had time to work on this guy. I'll try to keep plucking away, but finishing isn't really looking that possible for me this year :( Just wanted to drop in and say thanks, really appreciate the positive response.

Cheers,
Gav

ScudzAlmighty
03-17-2008, 01:21 AM
unacceptable Gav, if i have to track you down and glew your hands to your (home) computer, you're going to finish this guy... erhm, thing....

DMNY
03-17-2008, 03:45 AM
People, we need glue for Gavin's fingers here! STAT! lol
After seeing what you've done previously, it's normal to see people being excited over what will come out here. Glimpses over teasers, I'd still want to see what the creature will look like. Even if it doesn't partake on the DW rampage!

DeathNinja
03-25-2008, 12:17 AM
I am with these guys, get down on it! :D I have enjoyed your stuff in the past and would love to see this keep going.

GavinG
03-25-2008, 03:47 AM
hehe :P Thanks for the support guys! I'll try to continue this in my off time after the competiton, I may even take it into a slightly different direction. I've been stupidly busy lately though and really haven't had time for for this guy. I'm hoping to relaunch my website here soon, geared towards clients and stuff, and will hopefully have some new pro and personal work to show off.

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Gav

CGTalk Moderation
03-25-2008, 03:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.