PDA

View Full Version : DWIII - 3D - [Paleraven06] - [TBA]

Paleraven06
02-17-2008, 06:21 AM
I've been waiting all year for this! The design sketches are started and should be on their way soon. (Did I mention I love the topic for this year?)

Paleraven06
02-19-2008, 03:02 AM
Ok, so here we go. My first attempt was an idea that I had for a D&D class awhile back (granted, I found out that it was already around... but what hasn't been done it D&D?) It was a Fire Spellsword Invoker. The idea was that the magic/spells would be channeled through the weapons. However after talking to my friends and thinking about it awhile, I decided it was too close to being a multi-class Invoker/Warlord character to chance it. So I decided to move on in other directions.

(If you're interested in the original concept check it out on my Deviant Art account (http://paleraven.deviantart.com/art/Dominance-War-III-Armor-1-77608212).)

So that brings me to my current character concept. Please keep in mind this is a pretty rough pencil draft.

Name: TBD
Race: Human(oid)
Class: Stalker
Artifact Energy: Vegetation
Profession: Assassin

I've decided to design her clothes first to get an idea of the overall style and appearance I'm going for. The style is a mix of trends seen in Rangers with some Gothic accents. Her vest wil be leather with belts, chains, and gossamer adding to the design. Her arms are going to be covered in a leaf-printed lace. Boots will be leather wrapped over rubber or plastic and will be secured with belts. (I might have to address the bulkyness of the boot bottoms later, as it wouldn't be prudent to sneak in platforms. :D.) Her artifact weapon still needs to be designed and that's currently what I'm struggling with. It will be twin jewels somehow attached to gauntlets or bracers that will allow her to shape and recombine plants into small arms weapons. Given this ability, even if she appears unarmed she could kill at a moments notice as long as there was some plant-life around. I'm also thinking ahead to adding some pouches or packs that she would carry some of her prefered plants in, ones with extreme poison or ones with sharp brambles or thorns that would combine well into weapons. (And it wouldn't hurt the silhouette since its pretty cut and dry right now).

I still need to figure out the exact race and body arrangement, and that will be my next job after the artifact is designed.

Let me know what you think guys!

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs28/f/2008/049/a/5/Dominance_War_III___Armor_2_by_PaleRaven.jpg

Paleraven06
02-19-2008, 08:46 PM
By the way, what are the good websites for anatomical references? It would be really nice to have some good human orthographic photos and even some action shots. Membership sites could be okay, depending on the cost.

NME-Se7eN
02-20-2008, 01:49 AM
Interesting.... I'd like to see the character.

Paleraven06
02-20-2008, 05:17 AM
Interesting.... I'd like to see the character.

I don't quite have the full character yet, but I did crank out a pretty quick proof of concept tonight. I put down basic colors and patterns. The bracers and head are just placeholders, but the rest is very close to what I'll be gunning for with the model.

The proof of concept also shows a couple ways my Assassin can manipulate vegetation. The serrated thorn dagger could be created by recombining several plants and trees. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would. I'll probably be keeping that around in the final design unless someone can help me think of something that would look better. She can also instantly amplify the growth cababilities of the plants around her, reshaping them at will.

http://fc04.deviantart.com/fs29/f/2008/050/3/f/Dominance_War_III___PoC_1_by_PaleRaven.jpg

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs29/f/2008/050/6/1/Dominance_War_III___PoC_2_by_PaleRaven.jpg

NME-Se7eN
02-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Interesting... but not exactly threatening. I dig the style, just doesn't look like she's been taken to task yet.

FunkyBunnies
02-21-2008, 02:41 AM
agreed. I think she could still use a lot of love, yet. First and foremost I think you should experiment more with silhouettes as right now she's coming off fairly generic.
Try sketching thumbnails of a bunch of different forms and shapes and see if you can create a compelling look for her even in pure black. If it looks awesome in that minimal state, chances are you'll be able to really take it home in the full concept. I think you're just jumping into it too quickly. Take it easy, if you have a really successful design it'll make your life a lot easier down the road.

You just gotta her into your own badass design. Keep it coming, man

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2008, 02:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.