SheriffNotic
02-17-2008, 05:02 AM
NEWS
---------
First character sketch, and Bio Info!

Character BIO

Her name is Valleri.

Race - Pointy Eared Race
Class - Invoker or Warlord (leaning toward warlord)
Artifact Name - Draken Horn
Artifact Element - Summoning

Age - 15~25 Still deciding

Valleri is a young female warrior who was entrusted with the last Draken Horn. A powerful relic forged from the horn of a great dragon god (sort of an over glorified magical Didgeridoo). She was taught the dragon songs from her grandfather, a great sage, before he died and is the last living person to know their melodies.

When the melody of a dragon is played through the Draken Horn, that dragon is summoned into existence immediately. The summoner and the dragon are linked through the spacial harmony it creates, and the dragon can understand the summoner's thoughts. The summoner, however does not control the dragon, only guides it. If the dragon does not see the Summoner as worthy, it can choose not to obey. There is no theoretical limit to the number of dragons that can be summoned by the summoner. The number is only limited to how quickly the summoner can play and how many melodies they know.

http://www.NearBeyond.com/hosted/dwiii/vallericomp1.jpg

SheriffNotic
02-22-2008, 07:08 AM
Here is the first bit of work for my 2D entry...

Character BIO

Her name is Valleri.

Race - Pointy Eared Race
Class - Invoker or Warlord (leaning toward warlord)
Artifact Name - Draken Horn
Artifact Element - Summoning

Age - 15~25 Still deciding

Valleri is a young female warrior who was entrusted with the last Draken Horn. A powerful relic forged from the horn of a great dragon god (sort of an over glorified magical Didgeridoo). She was taught the dragon songs from her grandfather, a great sage, before he died and is the last living person to know their melodies.

When the melody of a dragon is played through the Draken Horn, that dragon is summoned into existence immediately. The summoner and the dragon are linked through the spacial harmony it creates, and the dragon can understand the summoner's thoughts. The summoner, however does not control the dragon, only guides it. If the dragon does not see the Summoner as worthy, it can choose not to obey. There is no theoretical limit to the number of dragons that can be summoned by the summoner. The number is only limited to how quickly the summoner can play and how many melodies they know.

I did some quick sketches, found one I kinda liked and did some more detailed lineart for it. I'm not really feeling the armor (esp on the arms/legs) so I'm sure that will change for the final design. I'm also worried the horn isn't "artifacty" enough. Lastly, I'm still playing with the proportions of her, I want her to be a little exaggerated all around in sort of a manga sort of way (Larger head, thinner waist, thicker legs etc.) although I will avoid using too much of a manga style for the face, I doubt the judges would dig that much.

http://www.NearBeyond.com/hosted/dwiii/vallericomp1.jpg

I want to find a good mixture between cute and sexy/mature, it might take a few attempts to really nail it. I want that look of youthful innocence but with an appearance that could convincingly stand up to an army of mages and cyborgs.

BluntPencil
02-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Well, you got the "cute" part down! :) Looks nice, and good concept. The horn is lovely.

SashaP
02-23-2008, 05:38 AM
I really like the artifact's design, good job with the armor as well!

SheriffNotic
02-23-2008, 06:32 AM
Workign out some other ideas for the armor for the arms/legs and playing with little details.
Oh yeah, and I said I wouldn't do it, but I couldn't help myself this time, so here she is full blown manga style.

http://www.NearBeyond.com/hosted/dwiii/vallericomp2.jpg

Everything is a WIP, feel free to comment on anything.

Bennosuke
02-23-2008, 07:09 AM
Cute! I've got a question that might help you develop the character. When she summons a dragon, what is it going to see in her that would motivate it to obey? Does something about her read that she can dominate her foes or has the chops to order around a dragon? Maybe if she carried some sort of relic that would instantly alert a dragon that she means business: A dragon tooth, a scimitar of an ancient king, the egg of an unborn dragon, something like that.

I like this new "manga-esque" version of her without the helmet. It's definitely an improvement. She was looking a bit too Valkyrie Profile before. Good luck, this is a character who's story I'd follow.

- Bennosuke

jramauri
02-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Hi!

The manga version is much better than previous. It has much more personality. I just didn't like her boobs. They are looking floppy and strange for a young girl. If I were you, I'd make the horn bigger too.

I felt tempted to make my model on cartoon style, but my goal is to nail the real style on modeling, so I'll try to follow it, with a little bit of stylization. Let's see how it turns.

Keep going, is getting good, man.

SheriffNotic
03-06-2008, 05:38 AM
An update, finally. Sorry it's been so slow and I'm so behind! I'm going to have to start looking for a new job pretty soon so I've been working hard trying to finish up my various WIP so I can have a portfolio for job hunting. I have been sketching during my shorter breaks at work when I wouldn't be able to really get any 3D accomplished and here is my progress!

http://www.Nearbeyond.com/hosted/dwiii/vallericomp3.jpg

I was looking at this Korean artist and became inspired for proportion and gesture, so this image is a little more in that direction, however I like the result a lot. This the feel I wanted to get from the piece, I think she'll be toward the older range of my original estimates, say 22 years old.

You'll also notice the horn has been redesigned. I was having a problem resolving what kind of weapon she would use for hand to hand. Even if she has a legion of dragons, it's believable that some threats would be able to get close quickly and she needs to be able to defend herself. Instead of giving her a secondary weapon, I thought, "why not make the horn even crazier and let it double as an axe?" I think that gives the character a little different attitude which I like as well. Well I've got to head to bed, work come early, but please feel free to comment! I'll start on her character sheet soon.

jramauri
03-09-2008, 09:45 PM
She looks strongly cute my friend. I like the idea of a horn's axe very much. By this moment, she doens't look a 22 yo girl. She's just 5 heads tall, and this don't help to make her look so old. You see, even chars like those on Sailor moon are 6 head tall, and they are girls 14 yo old. I recommend you try to make her 7 heads tall, to see how she looks like. If you are looking for some inspiration, try this guy: http://blog.naver.com/alien1452.do He draws sexy and looong women. Or look for works of Hyung Tae Kim, he's the one. Both are korean artists and maybe can help to make your design better.

Looking forward for your progress. Cheers!

Loukor
03-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I agree with jramauri, I believe if you made her head smaller since it's a little big.. she would look a bit taller but then again I might be wrong. Great concept though, I love the artifact and the idea behind the whole character. Cheers!

Edit - Oh and careful with the wide jaws, kinda makes her face look a bit towards the male side.

CGTalk Moderation
03-09-2008, 09:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.