PDA

View Full Version : Is modo a good starter 3-D program?

AutoDas1
02-17-2008, 02:19 AM
From what I've used after using Ps, modo seems to be the easiest but in the real world, does modo skill apply to other 3-D programs like Maya?

brenly
02-18-2008, 08:58 AM
You are probably better of learning Maya first (lots of hair pulling) so that when you come over to Modo youll go .. aahhh niiiiice!
If you learn Modo first and then go over to Maya youll be constantly going .. why cant I do this/that!

Absinthe-Graphics
02-18-2008, 01:24 PM
For me personally Maya is the better choice. I tried to get into modelling first with Modo but without too much success. Then I started again with Maya, which felt much better to me for a start. This is because:

1. Maya has construction history. So you can re-modify some parameters at a later time without undo function. When you do something in Modo, itīs done! You have only the undo option.

2. Maya has Poly, SubD and Nurbs Modelling tools. And you can convert your mesh between these 3. So you have more different ways to go, more different options.

3. The tutorials for Maya, I found are on using Maya and on how to modell at all. The Modo tuts are more focused on how to use Modo in order to accomplish several tasks easier than in other apps. This is of course more helpful for experienced modellers, than for beginners, who have to learn first how to think in modelling terms.

Maya is in any case a much more complex app than Modo (animation, scriptability, etc…) and therefore in a long run for sure more complex to master in all aspects, but at least for me it has been better for a start as well.

However, in Modo you can be faster in doing certain things, if you know exactely what you are doing.

This all is for sure very much my own personel feeling and may be completely different for you. I recomend to look through some modelling tutorials to see what workflows feel better for you.

brenly
02-19-2008, 05:10 AM
Absinthe-Graphics did you try watching some of the beginner tutorial videos that Lux offers. It seems to me they are really trying their hardest to get beginners off and running. Im coming from a more experienced background so I cant really compare the 2 programs as one would experience learning from scratch.
The construction history is nice in Maya but can be a pain in the butt sometimes, I found it to be buggy when playing with large complex models. Its also not a true history stack like that in Max. Once you start editing individual verts u can say bye to the history. Altho it would be nice to see it in Modo.
UV editing, painting, sculpting is so much better in Modo! It does all the basics so nicely. Selecting, loop selecting,UI modifying, etc. It also loads up in a flash.
Also Modo is still growing .. the best is yet to come .. getting into it from the ground up is good. Maya is stagnant, its due for an overhaul! Maybe Autodesk might combine Max and Maya one of these days.

Absinthe-Graphics
02-19-2008, 02:58 PM
brenly: yes did I watch the lux beginner tutorials. Nevermind perhaps itīs just my very personal experience, but for ex. the selecting and loop selecting is not always working so nice like in the tuts.
There are a lot of smal things. When deleting a Polygon in Maya the vertices are deleted as well, but in Modo you have to remember to delete the vertices seperately. In Modo I often overlook a polygon, which is turned in the other direction in shaded view. I have to change view to select it and so on and so on. Maya is there much easier to handle.

The UI modifying is nice, but I like the way you can arrange the tools you need at a customizable shelf on the go as you work in Maya.
I see that if you are an experienced modeller and you know from the beginning what you will need, how you will start doing the modelling etc. than you can make your UI to fit your needs in Modo very nicely. But as a beginner you do not know your workflow …
Than the sculpting and painting does simply not feel to me so intuitive as it is always said to be, with setting up the sculpting / displacement maps correctly etc.
The rendertree is quite confusing when you have lotīs of materials and textures. And never before Modo I needed a tutorial to understand how to work with a gradient editor!!

Last but not at all least Modo crashes very often on my Mac. Maya crashes as well, but not that often. :shrug:

brenly
02-20-2008, 06:23 AM
Agree, really liked Mayas tool shelf .. like to see it in Modo.
Gradient editor .. keeping well away from that!
yeh its a little annoying that selecting back faces you have to do with RMB would be better if it was the default selection LMB.
Render tree .. bah .. its ok. Dealing with materials can be tough no matter what system. I kinda prefer Maxs system the best, nodes can get messy, especially Mayas they suck!
Maya doesnt remember your last selection .. meaning if you select some verts go to faces and come back to verts .. gone!
Actually come to think of it .. I recon the best program to start with would be XSI .. it is sweeet!
I like Modo because of the results Im getting with it from Model to render .. so good and fluid.
UVing .. how painful is Mayas! you have to be in UV mode to select UVs, Modo no such thing! and you can also use any tool to modify UVs.

Absinthe-Graphics
02-20-2008, 02:23 PM
I agree on XSI. I played with the trial version. But I am on a Mac and would have to switch over to Windows either with rebooting, or else by emulation software with loosing some RAM and OpenGlide performance. Otherwise XSI seems to be a very nice app. especially considering the Foundation price!

kawallo
02-21-2008, 11:38 AM
There are a lot of smal things. When deleting a Polygon in Maya the vertices are deleted as well, but in Modo you have to remember to delete the vertices seperately.
Using DEL instead of BACKSPACE, you delete the polygon and its vertices altogether.

In Modo I often overlook a polygon, which is turned in the other direction in shaded view. I have to change view to select it and so on and so on. Maya is there much easier to handle.
In preferences you can choose the polygon selection type: 1)frontface & wireframe (default), 2) frontface & backface, 3) frontface only

Absinthe-Graphics
02-21-2008, 04:36 PM
Thank you for the info! :thumbsup:

brenly
02-22-2008, 03:58 AM
In preferences you can choose the polygon selection type: 1)frontface & wireframe (default), 2) frontface & backface, 3) frontface only

cool .. altho 2 should be default ..

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2008, 03:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.