PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about animation mentor

tony0421
02-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Hi you guys Im new here and I was wondering if there was anyone that has any feedback on animation mentor. Im seriously planning to enroll, I even applied. But I want to know if anyone or if you know anyone that has been part of the program. Im enrolling because i feel that Im lacking in talent so I need the extra help. The only thing that scares me is the price because Im going to get a loan. So does anyone know what the chances are of getting a job after completing the program or even while still being part of it. So I wont have to worry so much about the loan. Is it really what it make self it self to be? I appreciate anyones help. Thanks

PS if you get a chance take a look at some of my work and tell me what you think thanks again
www.mrbanker.blogspot.com (http://www.mrbanker.blogspot.com)

kungfudork
02-18-2008, 12:56 AM
tony,
i graduated in the first class from animationmentor and i would say the level you are at now is far above where i was when i started. i also had never used maya before. i can say it is definitely worth the loan, which is the route i took. even though i had to learn my way around maya, and was really learning animation from almost scratch, i ended up getting my first proffesional job. it was about 8 months after i graduated. i just kept at it and i know it would have never happened without the skill set i learned at AM. i just started my second job working remotely and i love it! i would also say that people that go into the program with a descent understanding of animation already, like yourself, improve really quickly and seem to have gotten jobs alot quicker than someone like myself who was pretty much a newbie. the other advantage that you have is that the curriculum has been streamlined since i went through the classes.....we were kind of the guinea pigs of the program and it was still amazing! they teach you the tools to be an animator, how well you do is up to you and how dedicated you are to learning.

KFD

Abhimation
02-18-2008, 11:49 AM
Just a short note here - GO FOR IT !! :thumbsup:

liquidik
02-19-2008, 01:07 PM
Hey tony. I graduated from the first class too and I started with zero background in animation, cause I came from a completely different art (dance). Be sure to plan well your time, but everything at Animation Mentor is super well worth!

Good luck

Gian

RockemSockem
02-21-2008, 12:50 AM
Tony,

Do it! I was in the second class and graduation was a highlight for me. I was already a professional animator when i started AM, but the school taught me a ton...and the people are great.

I definitely think it's worth the money, you won't find a comparable education for this price anywhere in the world.

One word of caution. Animation Mentor can not make you a great animator, they can only provide you with the opportunity. You have to be very disciplined and commited. There are a lot of graduates coming out of AM that still can't land a job in the industry...and that's because they got through each class with the bare minumum. Don't be content to just do the assignments and get by. Take advantage of your time in AM and push yourself to excel. When it comes time to graduate, you'll have an awesome reel and you'll be ready to rock!

Rock on!

Joanimation
02-22-2008, 11:16 AM
Hey Tony,

I,ve been through all the AM program and I graduated on summer 2007. That's grad class 5 I guess. I came up with my very first job two months after finishing AM and almost everyone else I knew is already working now.

AM is really a great animation school. They're going to teach you not only animation but also how to be an animator: how to behave, how to apply for job, what to expect form industry... Studios are showing a really good response to the school also.

However, you must always remember it's about you and your craft. Nobody can get you a job but yourself. You've got to be proactive, have a killer reel and able to relocate yourself.

Last comment is not everyone of us, Alumni, get to go to either Pixar, Dreamworks or ILM on our first job( though it sometimes happens ;) ) There are a lot other studios with cool projects running on able to give you good improvement chances. So, my personal advice is to relax and enjoy every step on your animator's journey!

Juan

PS: Your blog looks really cool. You've got a great basis right now.

SueHouston
02-26-2008, 07:05 PM
Hi Tony,

Do it! I highly recommend Animation Mentor. I am in the last class right now and I've learned so much over the last 18 months. I was pretty much a newbie when I started, but it looks like you already have a good base!
It's definitely a good move, but be prepared to put the time in. You get what you put in to it. Everyone is super supportive there, so don't be afraid to take the first step. =)
Good luck!

spanks
02-27-2008, 06:29 AM
Sorry for the semi-hijack, but I am also very interested in AM.

I am curious if I was interested in more the game development side of it, would it still be worth it? AM seems to be very pixar type animation, like shorts and movies and such. Does it help you become a good animator all around, or more just the one style that is in the movies and such?

Joanimation
02-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Hey Spaks,

AM will give you deep and wide understanding of animation. They've got full Class 2 devoted to body mechanics, which is highly useful in you developing believable cycles for game.

Though they've got their favored style, it's up to you to use all this knowledge to develope other visual styles. Just be sure to include it on your reel as well, as certain videogame studios are not looking for acting skills, but exceeding body mechs.

Anyway, you're really lucky, as videogame industry is just twice as big as visual effects and gives lots of wonderful chances.

Cheers,

Juan

spanks
02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
Hey Spaks,

AM will give you deep and wide understanding of animation. They've got full Class 2 devoted to body mechanics, which is highly useful in you developing believable cycles for game.

Though they've got their favored style, it's up to you to use all this knowledge to develope other visual styles. Just be sure to include it on your reel as well, as certain videogame studios are not looking for acting skills, but exceeding body mechs.

Anyway, you're really lucky, as videogame industry is just twice as big as visual effects and gives lots of wonderful chances.

Cheers,

Juan

Thanks for the advice :)

I've been doing first person animations for first person shooters for a bit over a year now, I'm finding the transition to the entire character kinda difficult :p

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2008, 03:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.