PDA

View Full Version : Small dialogue

maozao
02-16-2008, 06:38 AM
Hi,

i decided to work on this dialogue that i saw on the animation mini challenge #14 i guess... from "the office" tv show. i haven't done many animations before, just a few experiments.

this is quite incomplete yet, only got 1 character and i haven't worked on all details yet, specially facial. i started on lipsynching but i decided to go over the body first.

if you would have any C&C i would appreciate a lot.

video (http://www.vimeo.com/695651)

thank you

KyleG
02-17-2008, 03:24 PM
It doesn't feel like he's hitting any poses, but rather just floating through the dialog. If you say you haven't don't much animating I would really recommend starting with something else like a bouncing ball, or a non dialog piece, something to build your skills up before you tackle something like this.

maozao
02-17-2008, 06:46 PM
KyleG: Thanks for the comment man, i just felt like animating, that's why i started that. I know i got lots to learn, but to be honest i don't really understand what you mean by "just floating around" and "don't really hit a pose". I kinda understand, but i'm not sure, if you or someone could explain it to me i guess that would help a lot. :)

KyleG
02-17-2008, 09:16 PM
What I meant is that it feels like you animated it from start to finish without going through and defining your key poses. When he says "seven out of 10 attacks are from the rear" it feels very floaty, his hands are making gestures but they seem unmotivated and don't really make sense. Also you don't seem to be animated his fingers, his hands stay in the same pose for most of the shot. When the says " but it will be easier to stop" during this section the characters' hand is covering up his face, which is very unappealing. The most important part of your character is his face and his eyes, you don't want his hands covering them up. I would go through and block out your key poses and work more on your timing. Hope this makes more sense

maozao
02-17-2008, 09:40 PM
thanks again for your time, it really got more clear to me now that you explained again. I was wondering if i took my time to animate the second guy if it would make any diference on the feeling of the first one, if he would still feel kinda floating around.

Just a small not, i haven't animated the fingers quite yet... that is why they don't mainly move, i was going through the main body movement, since i don't have quite much experience, i was trying not to stick with many details. Once i can nail the body i can move forward i guess.

I was looking at your website, there are some neat animations there :) very interesting

KevinKraeer
02-18-2008, 05:07 AM
Hi Gabriel,

A nice start, but I do agree with Kyle. There's nothing wrong with trying to bite off more than you think you might be able to chew, especially when your goal is to improve your skills. But what about starting with a monologue instead? That way you can focus on one character and the poses that define his dialogue, rather than reactions, timing, etc.

maozao
02-18-2008, 07:08 AM
KevinKraeer: thanks for the tip. i guess i'll sit this one for a while and start a new one, going for a short monologue to see how it goes. i'll be updating here soon

maozao
02-27-2008, 07:29 PM
I decided to start posting here my animation studies... so i can get some feedback about it.

I've taken consideration the previous comments, and came back to do a walk cycle to see how it gets... i'm still tweaking some stuff... and soon i'll try to post a series of basic body movements, like running, diferent walk kinds, jumping, lifting a weight and so forth. here (http://www.vimeo.com/733280)

Also i started working on a monologue, but i haven't finished it yet, although i'm posting it here, i wanted some feedback motly on the lip movement, cause as for the rest it isn't quite finished. here (http://www.vimeo.com/732788)

Thanks

dpendzich
06-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Once you're ready to move onto animating your lip sync, I wrote an article that you might find helpful:
http://dpendzich-daa.blogspot.com/2008/06/animating-dialog-and-lip-sync.html

Theres a lot of information in there about how to go about animating your character's face.

Thanks,
- Dan

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2008, 04:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.