PDA

View Full Version : XSI Keymapping ! (No settings popup ?)

ionbaciu
02-15-2008, 08:51 PM
I just started playing with XSI a few days ago and first of all i went setting my keymaps.
That was easy, until i got to the modelling tools :)

If i keymap "Extrude" to Ctrl+E for example, whenever i select a polygon and hit Ctrl+E , it extrudes that polygon with the default settings , it doesn't pop up a menu like teh normal extrude tool. Here is the question , how to keymap a tool and still get that settings popup ?

(I am pretty satisfied with XSI, if i work those things out , it would be even better)

One more thing , how do i keymap a script ? I just got a script to toggle between SubD On and OFF and i would liek to keymap it to Tab , like in Modo or Lightwave :) (Or is already soemthing similar ? )

One more thing , i keymapped my Render Region tool to Ctrl+Q but now it lost a part of it's functionality. If i middle click , it won't disappear (it will just flash for .5 seconds) and if i right click, it won't do a refresh :O

ionbaciu
02-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Ok, found out how to do teh script thingy. For anyone else that wants to know, you need to put the script on a shelf/toolbar then go to Keyboard Mapping under Custom SCript Commands and you will find it there :)

ionbaciu
02-16-2008, 09:19 PM
BUMP ! I really need an answer ...

PetrZ
02-17-2008, 01:42 AM
Ctrl temporarily disable ppg pop-up, so you need to use another key then ctrl or change this behaviour in pref.

tc
02-17-2008, 02:30 AM
Hi and welcome.
XSI keymap is pretty good already... you don't need to do much I think.
About the extrude thing, you maybe had changed the wrong keymap entry.

By default ctrl+d is duplicate/extrude. So if you press ctrl+d with a material selected, it will duplicate the material, object, property, whatever you have selected it will duplicate.
If you have an edge/poly/vertex selected it will extrude the component with any ofset (which is duplicate as well? :P).

I don't see anything better then this but whatever... What you need is to assing a shortcut to the "extrude comp. axis", and you'll have the PPG poping when you apply the operator.

ionbaciu
02-17-2008, 06:19 AM
@tc I am sorry but you are not right. I did change teh right entry (Extrude comp axis) . And about teh duplicate thingy , i find the extrude tool (with the popup) a lot more flexible.

@PetrZ Thanks a lot pal. That worked, i didn't know Ctrl would override that in XSI. You said something abut some preferences. Mind if you tell me where can i find that option ?

P.S.: I temporarily moved extrude on Shift+X and Bevel on Shift+B and it works like a charm.

visualboo
02-17-2008, 04:43 PM
If I can give you one bit of advice it's to try and stop thinking how your old app works and focus on learning how xsi works. It will help you quite a bit in the long run.

ionbaciu
02-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Everione sais that but i just can't press S key instead of Alt :| I have a workflow developped over several years and i am not going to change it just for the sake of Softimage.

visualboo
02-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Me too. This also sounds familiar *cough* softimage list *cough*

I was talking more about how XSI works in general and it's mindset, which coincidentally has nothing to do with viewport navigation and hotkeys.

ionbaciu
02-18-2008, 04:59 PM
Well, no doubt that if i am amking the transition to this soft, i am making it to harness the power of XSI (That includes it's workflow and technologies) . I never thought of changing how XSI works , i don't even know if that's possible :|

Well... I am still waiting for someone to tell me where that preference tab is :)

tc
02-18-2008, 06:49 PM
is the file>preferences that you are looking for?

tc
02-18-2008, 07:01 PM
I know that the "S" is strange but you spend most part of the time in 3d just interacting with viewports. If the key you need to hold is alt you'll be in the end of your keyboard all the time.
Hold "alt" and try to reach the "T" or "U" with the same hand, without twist your arm. If you can do it you have a big hand! :D

Now try this: make a cylinder, press M, hold alt, now drag an edge with middle click.
You should be able to drag the entire edge loop just by holding alt+middle click.

Whatever you use to interact I hope you have fun with XSI.

ionbaciu
02-19-2008, 05:20 AM
FIrst of all thanks for the replies again . I wanted teh specific location of that setting that makes Ctrl override the popup menu.

And i don't mind twisting my handa bit if i get the result i want without thinking which was the damn shortcut.

About having fun with XSI, you betcha ! It's like 10 times more fun than 3DS Max , and 10 times more feature packed than Modo ^^ It's just great !

PetrZ
02-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Doomlord:
File->Prefrences->Interaction->Property Editors/Views
and maybe helps magic F1 key ;)

ionbaciu
02-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Yah, F1 is always the magic key. Thanks for the info ;)

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2008, 12:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.