PDA

View Full Version : Facing Particles - To Viewport?

aaraaf
02-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Hey there!

I've been looking at this on and off and coming up empty handed...

Is there a way to have a Particle Flow shape just face the active viewport/active camera for rendering? Regular particle systems facing shape works this way.

I see how to set it up to face a specific camera or object, but not a viewport.

Hopefully I'm missing something obvious!

Thanks!

grury
02-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Not unless your viewport is an active camera.

scrimski
02-15-2008, 06:48 PM
Use a shape facing operator, face an object and copy the viewports transform matrix to that object. Haven't tried that out, just an idea.

aaraaf
02-15-2008, 07:48 PM
Not unless your viewport is an active camera.
If you mean that you can face the viewport as long as it's any active camera, that would be perfect. If you mean that it will just face the camera/object from the node I see that it doesn't get me far.

Use a shape facing operator, face an object and copy the viewports transform matrix to that object. Haven't tried that out, just an idea.

It's a little over my head, but I think I know what you mean... I'll give it a go and see if it helps. That's the second time or so you've pointed me into a direction that pushed me.

Thanks guys! Any other suggestions or workarounds other people use?

I need this to work in a way where it will fit into a library that I keep of live effects my company does, and it needs to be setup to turn around quickly (merge it in, tweak a little and render). Changing this modifier for every effect in a scence and for every camera angle would kill too much production time.

Although I could probably just use an instanced shape modifier to make it a little easier.

scrimski
02-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Search the MaxScript documentation for viewportTM. It's actually not that hard to transfer, just add an transform script controller to your dummy object and enter the viewport transformation matrix

viewport.getTM()

into the expression field.
The harder part would be the constant update.
Maybe there is even a way to transfer the viewport matrix directly.

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2008, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.