PDA

View Full Version : Row Your Boat

milqito
02-15-2008, 03:38 AM
I'm new to this forum and this is the first work I've posted. I've been working for a while on a model and rig and have started animating with a try at lipsynching. Ultimately I plan on turning this into a little song and dance piece. Any feedback is appreciated.

Here's the link for the clip: http://www.vimeo.com/675145

milqito
02-15-2008, 07:19 AM
I updated the video: different camera angle and facial expressions:

http://www.vimeo.com/693003

flumpa
02-16-2008, 12:09 AM
haha, that one was funny!

NilsLS
02-16-2008, 06:36 AM
Hey Miguel,

It's a good start, here's a few things i think could help it alot!

- The head seems to be moving in an unnatural way for the headcracks, try looking in a mirror and acting it out, and seeing how much your head really rotates. It would also help alot to have your shoulders/chest moving a bit too, it doesn't seem natural moving only the head, and no toher part of the body.

- The lip sinc is commin along for an early pass, dependign on what your blend shapes are like, i would try to push it a bit, and get a little more variation in your shapes, and if your current shapes don't allow that try to remodel them a bit to let you do it!

- While he's doing his song, maybe keep a bit of movement going in the head and shoulders (to me it feels like he might be bobbing his head from side to side a bit to the tune of what he's singing)

Also, it mgiht help to try and render with a lighter background, would make it a little easier to see!

keep it up man, hope to see some updates!

SalvadorRuizJr
02-17-2008, 05:08 AM
Hey Miguel,

It's a good start, here's a few things i think could help it alot!

- The head seems to be moving in an unnatural way for the headcracks, try looking in a mirror and acting it out, and seeing how much your head really rotates. It would also help alot to have your shoulders/chest moving a bit too, it doesn't seem natural moving only the head, and no toher part of the body.

- The lip sinc is commin along for an early pass, dependign on what your blend shapes are like, i would try to push it a bit, and get a little more variation in your shapes, and if your current shapes don't allow that try to remodel them a bit to let you do it!

- While he's doing his song, maybe keep a bit of movement going in the head and shoulders (to me it feels like he might be bobbing his head from side to side a bit to the tune of what he's singing)

Also, it mgiht help to try and render with a lighter background, would make it a little easier to see!

keep it up man, hope to see some updates!

As he said, looking in the mirror and acting it out helps A LOT. Even better if you have a video camera to record yourself (when you get a take that you like) for reference while you actually work.

At the same time I don't know the limitations of your rig, but you should try to push your vowels more.

milqito
02-18-2008, 05:15 AM
Thanks a lot for the comments. Feedback on the lip movement definitely helps. I've actually gotten a very different comment to slow down lip movement at the edges of the mouth, SalvadorRuiz, and I think ulitmately the solution will come from closer observation in a mirror and video footage. I've also been referred to the book, Stop Staring, by Jason Osipa for reference and I expect it will help. I'm definitely going to rework and recombine the blend shapes, or use more rig controls.

This is my first animation and I've only been working on it for a couple of weeks, so I'm still in early stages. I started by making the model and then the rig. As for lighting, NilsLS, it's coming. I left it out of these clips to speed up rendering. My next steps will be to animate the eyes, add a tongue, animate the body, and then come back to the lips. I hope to post again in a couple of weeks. Thanks again, guys, and I hope to hear from you again in the next round.

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2008, 05:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.