PDA

View Full Version : Animation with Dialouge

kenTHEman
02-15-2008, 03:35 AM
Hi Guys,

Here's a short animation with dialouge which I've been working on:
www.kenloh.net/actingclip_kenloh.mov (http://www.kenloh.net/actingclip_kenloh.mov) (updated: 02-21-2008)

Let me know how you find it? I'd appreciate any comments or feedback. :)

ChrisN
02-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Nice work, here's some feedback. The dialog is three people right and I also imagine the other two characters are in the front seat, but the animated character doesn't look at any of them in the entire clip. I get the impression that the character is drunk, but still i would like to have him look at both characters in the front seat. The eye movement is a bit spliny and the blinks doesn't make sense. You could also try to make the character a bit more snappy, make some more holds and focus on the KEY poses, for instance the last pose after he says "I Got that" is really good and strong. It feels like you works in a straight ahead fashion, focus on your poses and then break down your scene.

keep up the good work, by the way what rig are you using?

cheers
/ Chris

CaptainRon
02-20-2008, 09:35 PM
Hey man nice job.

My only crits are right when he starts talking the dialogue feels a frame or two too soon, the lips don't seem like they're matching up as strong as they could. When the character laughs and says "where are we going?" Those lines feel right on, great work there. Then it goes back to "Oh! I got that." Where the mouth movements feel ever so slightly delayed again.

I'd just start there and then rehearse the scene in your mirror, it'll help you with some of those facial transitions like right after he gets done drinking his soda.

Overall well done.

kenTHEman
02-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys!!

I've updated the eyes as pointed out by ChrisN, please see if it's better now:

http://www.kenloh.net/actingclip_kenloh.mov

ChrisN: You mentioned that the blinks do not make sense. Hmm, I'm not quite sure what you meant. Is there something wrong with the timing of the blinks? It'll be helpful if you could elaborate more, thanks.

I'm using the Dee rig by Manuel Sierra, btw. Here's the link to download: http://www.manuelsierra.net/Rig.html. It's for 3dsmax 9 and above.

CaptainRon: I'll look into the points you've raised and post an update soon. :)

Thanks guys, please keep the comments coming.

switchblade327
02-25-2008, 11:44 PM
I don't really see a problem with him not looking at the other people at all but he should definitely be looking toward them more. As far as the blinks, I think he means there's no context to them. Of course anyone can blink any time but they work best for sudden changes of eye/head direction or a change in train of though. The Animation Mentor newsletter had a really good article about this a couple months ago. I think shortening the length of the eye movements would be a pretty big improvement.

I have to say, you wouldn't often shoot a clip like this without showing the other two people. The context of the dialog doesn't really lend itself to hiding two characters even though it's obviously more economical to do so. The other characters might also make it more clear as to what exactly is happening in the shot. Is he getting scared because they won't say where they're going? If so, he could definitely stand to look more scared. Otherwise, I'm not quite getting it.

Most of the animation does look nice though.

Anil-Kapoor
03-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Hi Ken,

Nice work on this clip. nice expressions. when he say "this is", i think u could make the lips movement more prominent.

rgds
Anil

kenTHEman
03-03-2008, 06:01 AM
The Animation Mentor newsletter had a really good article about this a couple months ago. I think shortening the length of the eye movements would be a pretty big improvement.

Thanks switchblade327, I'll check out the article.

I have to say, you wouldn't often shoot a clip like this without showing the other two people. The context of the dialog doesn't really lend itself to hiding two characters even though it's obviously more economical to do so. The other characters might also make it more clear as to what exactly is happening in the shot.

Actually this clip was intended for the 11 seconds club competition last month. As it was already nearing the dateline when I entered the competition, I had decided to animate just one character instead to save time. I was hoping with the way I stage it, the idea will still work. But I definitely agree with you that the meaning will be clearer if I have the other 2 characters in the shot.

Is he getting scared because they won't say where they're going? If so, he could definitely stand to look more scared. Otherwise, I'm not quite getting it.

Nope, he wasn't getting scared. Actually the idea behind it is that he's infringing into the privacy of Phil and his girlfriend, who are the other 2 characters at the front seats. When he asked Phil "Where're we going?", Phil's girlfriend responded by saying "Let's not spoil it". The "it" was referring to the earlier part when she said it's also her happiest day of her life. So she was actually being sacastic, hinting to the guy that he should just get out of the car and leave her and phil alone to have some private moments together. So when the guy said "Oh, I got that", it was when he finally figured out what Phil's girlfriend actually meant when she said "let's not spoil it". So it was at that point that he felt embarassed and a bit rejected and reached out his hand to open the car door to leave. :)

I'm wondering if there're perhaps some ways I can make the meaning clearer without including the other 2 characters by "playing" with the props? Like maybe add some ornaments at the back window of the car to establish the girlfriend-boyfriend relationship of the other 2 characters? What do you think? Would it be better? I'd appreciate any suggestions to make the idea stronger without adding the 2 characters into the shot. :)

Nice work on this clip. nice expressions. when he say "this is", i think u could make the lips movement more prominent.

Thanks Anil, glad you like it! And thanks for the feedback too!

CGTalk Moderation
03-03-2008, 06:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.