PDA

View Full Version : simple GI setup for modeling - MR

TiKiMoN
05-01-2003, 07:35 AM
I have been playing with lighting scenes off and on for about 3 years now, and I seem to always be more amazed at everyone else's GI renders... even test renders... than I am with my own finished products. I feel like I am missing the boat somehow, but I have been searching this site for a while now and have not found something that might tell me both what to consider when attempting a GI setup (like approx. number of lights, why that many, etc), and how to do it in Maya without having that half-dome setup that takes forever and a day to render. I see others whose renders are very soft and pleasant, and I never get that from mine... I'm pleading to those of you who I admire to please help me out on this one. :) Thanks for any help...

X-Tender
05-01-2003, 08:32 AM
I use always the "DOME" render with MR for GI .. and i never must wait longer hen 30 minuts (by very complex models) .. :o ..

Nicool
05-01-2003, 10:30 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=59366
:wavey:

TiKiMoN
05-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Thanks Nicool, I saw that thread before I posted mine. I even tried to do what it said, but there was no mention of the lighting rig used, or general methodology that should be considered without being so Maya-specific. I suppose I was just hoping to see the scene with the light rig visible.

playmesumch00ns
05-01-2003, 11:56 PM
for a simple skydome you don't use any lights: just a big hemisphere around your scene. Give the hemisphere a shader with the incandescence set to an off-white colour, then turn on final gathering and hit render. It really shouldn't take that long to render.

TiKiMoN
05-02-2003, 01:50 AM
So you could use a sky dome with incandescene turned up (which I thought only made that particular surface illuminated, not actually illuminating other objects), and add a directional light for the single source light (lamp, sunlight, etc) which ignores the dome?

*edit* I have tried this, and it seems the brightness of the "dome" incandescence on the rest of the scene changes as the camera moves closer to the target. I will post shots to show what I mean later on, but I was hoping for more consistency...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.