PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Town, Eshiu (3D)

eshiu
05-01-2003, 07:17 AM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15672/ghosttown_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/15672/ghosttown.jpg)

Hi,

First time posting. Just did this deserted ghosttown piece for fun. Used Maya and photoshop.

The still is here:

The complete shot is here(7 megs):
http://www.mindspring.com/~eshiu/render.mov

Let me know wht you guys think!

E

wgreenlee1
05-01-2003, 07:33 AM
OMMMMFFFGGGG!!!!!
Very cool!

This is great!
Love it!!!!

urk10
05-01-2003, 08:54 AM
pretty cool!

I like the feel

:thumbsup:

ceql
05-01-2003, 09:10 AM
Great Atmosphere! :D :applause: Most the detail is hidden by the darkness, but it's not really an issue, as meant to be a dark scene after all... and if you used it in animation, you could always use flashes of lightning to reveal it ;)

LordShaitan
05-01-2003, 10:52 AM
Looks good, but the darkness is what kills me, maybe a bit more ambient, and maybe a lone candle light in the background?

Looks good from what i can see though

Spirit2029
05-01-2003, 11:31 AM
gorgeous, very moody, I agree with a little more ambient light..not much though.. is this all 3d, or photoshop paintings on planes? its great regardless...

you do any futuristic set desgins? if so i'd love t see your work..

Spirit2029

liQu1d
05-01-2003, 12:46 PM
LOOKS AWESOME!
EXCELLENT JOB! :applause: :drool:

I animate
05-01-2003, 12:54 PM
WOW I want the house on top of the hill, it's sooooo creepy! :eek:

Good work.

lebada
05-01-2003, 12:55 PM
holy zhit:bounce: :D :airguitar :buttrock: :beer:

hypercube
05-01-2003, 01:26 PM
As has been said, that is really really cool..great mood and atmosphere..definitely worth a :buttrock: and even a :xtreme:

The still looks totally perfect to me as far as brightness goes..can see just enough of everything and it draws your eye to the house, etc. The quicktime is coming through much darker though, but then QT always seems to be darker than it should here, maybe it's a setting I've missed.

Anyway, great stuff. Curious as to what's 2d and 3d as well.

FallenSwordsman
05-01-2003, 01:31 PM
I agree with Hypercube
:xtreme:

Excellent stuff!

goodlag
05-01-2003, 01:45 PM
:buttrock: :drool: :thumbsup:

roguenroll
05-01-2003, 02:06 PM
wow , :buttrock:

a little crack of lightning and that would be really creepy.

great work, looks great.

GavinG
05-01-2003, 02:06 PM
Thats really nice man :buttrock:

Vash T Stampede
05-01-2003, 02:07 PM
http://members.lycos.nl/shakunetsuhadoken/Gifs/lilith-sign-Vashlike.gif

erilaz
05-01-2003, 02:12 PM
The mood is wonderful. Has a sort of "I'm spooky but I'm not too freaky like that dang silent hill!":D

Prototype3X
05-01-2003, 02:14 PM
the environment is very good stuff!:buttrock:

lildragon
05-01-2003, 02:18 PM
You've created an impressive piece here for sure, but for a ghost town it's rather "neat" :) throw some more chaos in the scene, for example break one of the power lines, maybe have a pole topple or even throw some more elements on the scene like a wagon with a wheel missing, know what I mean? just to spring a bit more "lived there long ago" look. Nice job worthy of a plug

salud

stephen2002
05-01-2003, 02:24 PM
Great work! I can't really find anything all that wrong with it.

Some more playing with the lighting I think might make this more dramatic instead of just dim.

ZVAN
05-01-2003, 03:32 PM
unbelievable!!!!!! cooL!:buttrock:

eLm0
05-01-2003, 03:41 PM
BLEEDY AMAZING
welcome with a start like that glad to have u here:beer:

dg3d
05-01-2003, 03:55 PM
I like it alot, the feel of the ghost town is there, dark and the moon with the clouds added.

:thumbsup:

Great work.

unclebob
05-01-2003, 04:00 PM
very cool, I like the atmosphere .. quiet spooky and scary .. very Stephen Kingish

Book
05-01-2003, 04:38 PM
That's a really nice atmosphere and mood you've created. Nice modeling - great digital set!

Mikademius
05-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Holy Crap!This is amazing, I don't think you hide details in the dark here. I saw plenty and it made me drool. This is an awsome piece and I have now added another image to my 3d\images folder and an anim in 3d\anims. This is a 5 stars.

DAREONER
05-01-2003, 04:40 PM
good composition ,perhaps it's so dark...

RussellB
05-01-2003, 04:40 PM
Good stuff here... I think lightning flashes would seal this baby up! I also agree with disturbing the environment a bit more... the broken/hanging powerline idea is golden. and maybe tilt some of those power poles a little bit. Nice work.:thumbsup:

demo38
05-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Very Cool!!!

I really like the light level... It may be cool to use some small colored accents here and there though... Maybe a flickering candle in a window introducing a touch of yellow, or lantern on a porch, or relection of the moon in a puddle, or horse water box... Definately not ambient though!!! It would start to kill the depth you're getting...

Awesome. Any more?

Wiro
05-01-2003, 05:50 PM
That looks really good, I like the suggested detail. Lildragon has a good point about the chaos...I'd too like to see a bit more damage to the place.
What bothers me the most though is the dark lighting. I think you can get the same mood by adding some more contrasts. Maybe a lighting strike like mentioned or the moon being a bit stronger, reflecting off a shattered window, a flashlight beam by some person standing offscreen. Just some accents to keep the eye wandering about the scene.

Wiro

SCIFI-3D-zoo
05-01-2003, 06:05 PM
I saw the ambient light thing... but I wasn't really looking at the town that much.. but maybe two birds can be killed with one stone. I really like the atmosphere... and the way the Castle sticks out at the top of the hill. I wouldn't want to change anything to take away from that. BUT maybe a broken power-line is a good idea... it can also be used to create a little ambient blue glow from it to create a little more ambience in the foreground... maybe some blowing leaves on the ground, etc.

I really like it the way it is tho. Very moody.. and top of the hill really stands out. I'm sitting here watching my eyes move up as the animation plays. I'm sure this is what you intended too. It works well. :thumbsup:

guess
05-01-2003, 06:43 PM
I like

andym2001ok
05-01-2003, 08:28 PM
can we see a wireframe?

Really amazing stuff

woodwoox
05-01-2003, 09:04 PM
amazing

eshiu
05-01-2003, 09:23 PM
The point of this piece was to try to figure out projection mapping. So as a result there isn't much of a mesh to see. Everything is basically boxes. There is so much more I want to do to this piece but unfortunately, ran out of time. This is a very tricky image to show as it is quite dark and everyone has different settings on their moniotors.....In a perfect world we could all view stuff in a dark run with one monitor setting! Reguardless...thnaks for all your comments.

E

TonyMesiatowsky
05-01-2003, 09:51 PM
I luv this style.Good work.:bounce: :applause:

mikewebb
05-01-2003, 10:44 PM
Jpeg looks great. Mov is too dark. If mov was as bright as the jpg I'd enjoy it much more. Also the mov comes up on a white background. I'm not sure how but if that could be made darker maybe the brightness wouldn't be such an issue.

Good job.

Mike

robertp
05-01-2003, 10:45 PM
From what I can see with this stupid monitor it looks amazing. I can't wait to get home and look at it. Do the clouds move at all? Mostly during night I see the clouds move faster during the day. Even though in this short clip they wouldn't move to far I think it might add. Having part of the moon covered up or something.

Rob:D

Yorgo12345
05-01-2003, 10:54 PM
even though I like it dark, I would like it better with some dim lighting.
really cool feel tho!

DZL
05-01-2003, 11:39 PM
this kicks some boo-tay. wow. i love the lighting, modeling - this is outstanding.

first time posting? what took you so long?

joylee
05-02-2003, 12:01 AM
that's so creepy :applause:

cgwolf
05-02-2003, 12:05 AM
I like it! very creepy dark atmosphere, like someone said though, you need to add some lightning cracks and some sound.

good work.

AVTPro
05-02-2003, 12:33 AM
That's amazing. Period. Had I been in a comfy $10. seat each in some theater I would have not known that was not been shot on location.

AVTPro
05-02-2003, 12:40 AM
I really didn't find it to be dark. Just moody. The hues are strong and very much like what I see in the steel blue hues in recent movies.

Projection or camera is the joint...ah-ahm. Highly Effective.

kappa
05-02-2003, 01:10 AM
Great stuff. Love this piece. Awesome.

The power lines are visible splines with few verts.

Can you re-render a still in broad daylight to see details in the texturing etc, wireframe, diff angles.

Show us behind the magic curtain.

Well done... :applause:

future14
05-02-2003, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by lildragon
You've created an impressive piece here for sure, but for a ghost town it's rather "neat" :) throw some more chaos in the scene, for example break one of the power lines, maybe have a pole topple or even throw some more elements on the scene like a wagon with a wheel missing, know what I mean? just to spring a bit more "lived there long ago" look. Nice job worthy of a plug

salud

yo man, that's rite from lildragon,:D but u've done an awesome work man, besides that, i think u can add some fog to make the town behave more myterious....continue man!!!:applause: :applause: :applause:

ansonkit
05-02-2003, 03:57 AM
why can't i see anything?
am i blind or wat....

too dark, dunno what u trying to present...

Maya Ayanami
05-02-2003, 04:17 AM
sorry people. just subscribing. i want to watch this later.

the still looks nice and MYSTERIOUS. ooooh.

Zappa
05-02-2003, 05:57 AM
Hey!eshiu ,

the dark n spooky feel of your animation is very kool...love it....if i were to change anything it would be that the camera move a lil slower.....and preferably have it move from left to right....and have soft clouds drift around the moon....making ever so slight changes on the lighting.

its a kool piece of texturing work :thumbsup:

cheers
zappa

BlackMedusa
05-02-2003, 06:47 AM
It's really gorgeous
the lighting is beautifull and the details too, but one thing is bothering me maybe if you could put some moving clouds the background seem a bit too static, If you use maya 4.5 just put some fluid clouds and animate them it would be perfect.
it's just a advice:beer:

keep up the good work bud
keep us updated on you're stuff

Konstruct
05-02-2003, 09:52 AM
yeah its awesome, fool that think its too dark need only to turn up thier gamma. mine is always cranked WAY up, resulting in me creating lots of dark images, but whatever- its ALLL about sublte lighting.-

and may I ask,- what in gods name did you put in that window at the beggining, that SH1T creeps me out...

danRod
05-02-2003, 10:00 AM
VERY GOOD............reminds me alot of something you would see out of Psycho the movie.:beer: :buttrock:

jfalconer
05-02-2003, 10:29 AM
I totally want to see what happens next... does it dolly up and over the houses up to the spooky mansion? man... that was very cool. :eek:

borchert
05-02-2003, 11:43 AM
I Really like the mood !!
It have a bit of sleepy hollow/ Tim Burton look to it.
Most definitly one of the best Ghosttown pictures I have seen!!
keep up the good work !!

future14
05-02-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by ansonkit
why can't i see anything?
am i blind or wat....

too dark, dunno what u trying to present...

the still might be too dark, but i believe that he's trying to show 'that' kind of mood.....it'll be nice in animation

Ultragames
05-03-2003, 08:06 AM
So i guess i have to wait till June to see it? It says its monthly bandwidth is full. Sry dude.

eshiu
05-03-2003, 09:39 AM
My server said I exceeded their bandwidth....never happened before....I'll try to attach the still....guess I'm going to be outta luck for the animation though! Thanks for all the comments!

E

DragonKore
05-03-2003, 09:46 AM
Since I can't view the .mov, I'll have to comment the still. It looks like the animation would be impressive. Hopefully the server will go back up soon.

I like the big house in the background, beside the moon. Adds even more eeriness to it. Good job.

tinitus
05-03-2003, 10:12 AM
nice work!

what is about adding some rain?!

lildragon
05-03-2003, 06:34 PM
You now know what to do ;) and as for hosting the image, just link from the gallery now that you're up there :)

Please be sure to enter this into Expose http://www.cgtalk.com/expose you definitely have a chance

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Nice work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_may03_2.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

RedSilas
05-15-2003, 04:43 AM
I love the depth! Very Sweet!:thumbsup:

PureFire
05-15-2003, 05:34 AM
looks awesome...my only crit is that the powerlines look too thick...but maybe thats just me.

RedFish
06-15-2003, 07:22 AM
Fantastic image, I am unable to find anything I dont like about it. Great job

RedFish
06-15-2003, 07:46 AM
Hey,

By the way what did you use to do the projection mapping for the image on the vid... I am assuming thats what you did to make the 2d image look 3d.

but I also kinda remember the name of a free program that you can use to do that image illusion stuff, it was something like GLtff I don't remember, if you could clue me in on it I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Keep up the good work

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.