PDA

View Full Version : Learning rotoscope

Gaitero
02-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Hello everybody!

This is my first and second rotoscopes.

I have created frame to frame using photoshop 7.

I do not have best know in any composition softwares, now I am learning a little shake, but I think that shake

They can not be done rotoscopes of fine details such as hair or any other with a lot of details.

I am now making a small reel to show my art rotoscoping frame with a frame for fine detail.

The bad news is that each frame brings me at least 10 or 15 minutes of work and at least one day to explore the best technique for the process of creating detailed masks.

I used film footage taken from the trailers, as they were with HD quality, and I thought it was a good idea, because I do not have to get recourses material otherwise. Besides using sequences of films is also something that motivates me a lot.

I think the technique frame to frame may be valid for complicated sequences are impossible to re-shoot.

I hope to get a job as rotoartis someday, learn and jump to compositor one day.

Thank you all for seeing my work.

Please excuse me bad english.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/1774/nickoleprocesssz3.jpg
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/3688/puertotestha6.jpg

http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/5088/kong0877bx5.jpg

frizDog
02-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Well those are some well painted masks, However if you want to get a job rotoscoping you will need to show off movement a sequence of frames. That is the true skill of a good rotoscoper: how little detail and simple of a rotoscope can they get away with or how fast (since time=money) can they make the shot work.
If you freeze frame a roto'd character in a visual FX movie you might be surprised how rough a shape we can get away with. The eye is very forgiving in motion

...and us professionals use shake or equivalents for rotoscoping. . .

I would suggest finding a 30-60 frame clip to roto. And it doesn't need to be HD.. . If you are planning on putting it on a DVD it will be tv res anyways...Save yourself some trouble and use a clip at 720x480 or so . . .

Gaitero
02-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Hello! Thanks for commenting my work.
I have already had this kind of feedback in other forums, I explained my reasons, I think it is a good idea to refer to the answer given in vfxtalk. If you will kindly please visit this link.
http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/learning-rotoscope-art-t13744.html?p=61789#post61789

I use images to commenting the details, and you can see a litle secuence of me retoscope.

Thanks

frizDog
02-15-2008, 07:58 PM
Those kind of details in the hair are nice in still frame...but when those frames are flying by at 24 a second. . .no one will be able to see them...and it would be almost impossible to keep that detail from chattering like crazy when you see it in motion..

We work in movies...24fps...
things need to look good in motion..bottom line

Gaitero
02-15-2008, 08:08 PM
:-) As you see the file in motion .rar? yes, not is perfect, but its make frame by frame and its me first rotoscope. In the second rotoscope with Nicole Kidman I am create a hybrid technique betwen photoshop and shake. Now I'm using Shake to create fast mask to mattes zones and after the fine details its add with photoshop.
Sorry for me bad english, and Thanks for coment me work, I'm glad to coment with you :-)

scrimski
02-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't think any posthouse does paint/roto work with photoshop, because you simply can't play sequences in PS.

You do have a paint node in Shake, so try using this.

Gaitero
02-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Hello thanks for your comment, I am sure that the best approach is the combination of software and shake or another and photoshop. I hope to prove it soon. The programs are fast composition for work with nodes, but did not give the accuracy of photoshop. We commented our friend in the post earlier that the rotoscope is always moving, but it seems to forget that the movement can be very slow and with a secuence with a full of detail.

scrimski
02-15-2008, 09:09 PM
You need the possibility to see sequences directly in the roto app, which PS as much as I like it(and as much I dislike roto/paint in Shake) just does not offer. I think CinePaint does, not sure, try out, it's openSource.

edit: Hvae a look here

http://www.kongisking.net/kong2005/proddiary/

especially "Post Production Diary - 16 Weeks To Go
8/26/05, 12:26 pm EST - Xoanon"

featuring WETA Digital's Roto/Paint department. There is asmall moment where you can see some poor little soul roto'ing hair (around 0:30 and 1:45).

Gaitero
02-15-2008, 09:16 PM
Thanks "scrimski" for your advice. Conclude first this sequence, I am finishing details :-) then we can test new tools and you can see my rotoscope and comment.
Thank you for commenting on my work.

SKeller
02-25-2008, 01:34 PM
im not sure about this but i think photoshop cs3 has some kind of playback. I've seen a simple removal work done with the clone tool and it was done pretty fast. Maybe photoshop can now be used for doing some simple roto.

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2008, 01:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.