PDA

View Full Version : Solaric Glass Anemone Structure II

sectora
02-14-2008, 07:41 PM
http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/1203018099/680bound
(http://assets.cgsociety.org/nvart/1203018099/1024bound)Another progression on the Solaric structure with added photographic detail of fixtures and structural elements.

This one looks more industrial.

scheffers
02-23-2008, 02:49 PM
I love this version ! It has a tremendous sense of scale and movement, and best of all, inspite of the fact that it's been build of a single relatively simple base shape, it is very evocative.
It feels like a giant superstructure in the middle of transforming from one shape into another,
threatening and beautifull at the same time.

Amazing idea in the first place..and top-notch HDR render to make it all believable.

You've got my vote !

Qual
02-23-2008, 04:16 PM
I like the shapes, colers and the render!
but I really can't see its a building or something....but thats maybe just me.

sectora
02-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the compliments Stefan. You have exactly understood what this form is all about. I added quite some Photoshop detail to this raw render and toned down the colors to be more rooted.

Qualize; I see your point too but the scale of this structure is so large that humans would be tiny specs on the ground and as such in this view would not make much sense.

Thanks both for your comments though! I could use more to learn more from these entries as well!

Albert

biliousfrog
02-23-2008, 06:11 PM
I think that there's so much potential with your concept but I'm not quite sure that you've realised it yet. In some ways it works so well, I love the abstractness of it and the ambiguity of it...is it a building or a work of art? In other ways I think that there's some composition and design conflicts that make it difficult for the eye to settle comfortably.

In some places I find the "feathers" a little too...um...aggressive? The upwards pointing ones create some sharp teeth-like shapes in places and even resemble a venis fly trap at the focal point.

The other crit is that the structure is very central but there's not much detail to hold the eye. Perhaps an adjustment of the composition would create more dynamics?

sectora
02-23-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi Steve,

Now that's what I like!! Let me see if I can investigate and incorporate your sugestions.
Prbably what I miss most working as a 'stand-alone' illustrator is the comments and cosntructive crits of friends in the same profession. That was one of the reasons I decided to jump into this competition also. Illustration and design is a lifelong new learning process and that's just what makes it such a great field to be working in.

Thanks for your opinion and suggestions.

CLONEOPS
02-24-2008, 06:34 AM
I like how there is just a hint of the underlying base structure in this rendition,the fact that it seems to hover on a precarious foundation gives it a somewhat powerful haunting presence in this light.The appeal here is that you have clarified a bit of the base but not given over to the revealing the source of that appeal, which overall is its ambiguity.It leaves the viewer with that question of it's structure,and it causes that attraction to persist.

fab.!

sectora
02-25-2008, 11:26 AM
I have sent in a mediator between Steve's and Christopher's comments. Making it a bit more concrete and still maintaining the ambiguity of what exactly it is...

The entrance addition probably makes it to concrete for you Chriss but still I hope this takes the idea a bit farther...

Here's the cropped part:
http://www.kiefer.nl/cgsociety/anemone-IV-detail-small.jpg

Here's a detail crop from the total picture (which I actually like better but I don't want to flood the main entry area with these images :)

Albert

CLONEOPS
02-25-2008, 10:18 PM
Personally i think you hit a high note with the topmost image,unaltered and as is,but i understand the need to explore variations ..so in that thread i can see the entrance as having a lower and narrower a ratio almost a slot format ,the within looks like it be an excellant gallery space i imagine, since it has an overall airy quality about it it seems logic that these would be more of the intricate sculptural suspended type affairs..taken to an extreme the lower epidermis of the structure could serve as a function towards being apart of that theme as it does seem to indicate that already..to me anyway.
There are several ways to incorporate landscape intregral to design.Join the existing natural lansdcape in a blended fashion using local materials,since yours varies from that you are left with attaching itself to a cityscape and i don't image it to share a common space but rather its own domain.The other option is to alter the landscape that adopts the buildings parameters.
Simply put -almost all buildings end up being built into a landscape of some sort,in some instances the amount of visual/physical interference overwhelms the natural content of the surroundings, in some cases the buildings are an extension of a chosen enviro by choice of material,layout,color etc.,to an extreme a cave makes full use of the landscape.
Some architectural work is constructed with the full realization that the surrounding landscape do not exist in the traditional sense and takes this into account,for instance how do you design when your landscape-backdrop is in fact a cityscape..a canyon of concrete. You can also create any shapes building of the most complexity then reshape the surroundings to complement a theme or create a contrast through textures.
First define-Aside from the grossly obvious what unique qualities make up your structure,how do you want the landscape to serve the building in contrast to its found qualites.
Somehing to explore anyway.:)
Again fab.really nice.

sectora
02-26-2008, 07:32 AM
Hi Christopher,

I see I have a thorrough read on my hands but I can see your points. If time permits I will investigate your lines of thought more and see what I can come up with.

In the mean time though. Coments like yours, Stefan's and Steve's among others are the fuel for me to work on these concepts more.

Thanks very much for that!

scheffers
02-26-2008, 08:11 PM
I agree with Christopher (even though I'm not sure I understand exactly what he's saying ;)...

The paintover is not an improvement over the original because:

1. By putting in the flat, empty plane and the human figure you immediately loose the sense
of immense scale of the structure.

2. The fact that you've added the warm orange and brown colors to tigh the foregrond to the entrance enhances the loss of scale even more. The first version has this lovely feeling that you're viewing a huge structure from very far away, because of the atmospheric perspective, the soft cold blue haze and the feeling of lightscattering. That sense of depth is lost.

3. The cropping of the picture, with the loss of the large skies (think dutch landscape painters), again leads to a loss of depth and scale. The proportions of the structure become ambiguous and it starts too look artificial.

Suggestion:

1. If you want to give the picture more of a sense of place and cultural foundation, then I would add more very small scale architectural city elements at a lower level (suggesting the structure looks out over a vast city). You may even use these elements to build up a foreground plane to lead the eye more into the picture. But be aware not to loose the sense of scale of the structure.

2. Decide on the formal elements of the city expansion, will they be modeled with the same
formal characteristics of the petal structure, or will they purpousfully contrast with these shapes (like the cubic structures that you're suggesting in the interior supporting structure).
Or even a more natural landscape like surrounding ?

3. Don't start using very painterly structural elements to solve the problem (personally I don't see the problem ;)....but keep using photographic and 3D elements to do this, because the painterly strokes don't mix with the original approach.

...sorry....I feel I'm starting to sound very self-important...must be a bit of the old Rudolf Arnheim "kicking in" ;)

Like I said....I don't see much wrong with first version in the first place...I totally digg it !

sectora
02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Stefan,

I think with working on illustrations and receiving feedback of this calibre ANY motivated artist would soon know exactly how to created very good compositions.

Again I hope I can at least incorporate all this into a final image and present it.

Albert

LXC2000
03-06-2008, 08:07 PM
Very nice picture view and concept, looks like a kind of biomorphic shape structure next to be closed on itself, like a big bug or wild animal. Really interesting, congratulations!

sectora
03-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Hello Xavier,

the folding in is actually a concept that I had envisioned for this structure. It can be more open or closed depending on the lighting circumstances and I even have small animations of hat done.

Thanks for your feedback and I am glad you like it!

Albert

CGTalk Moderation
03-06-2008, 08:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.