PDA

View Full Version : My Web Template

Emberghost
05-01-2003, 05:12 AM
I have created this whole template basically on what I have learned about layer-styles, I hope you like it.....comments & criticism needed! Oh this site is going to be for tutorials for 3d applications such as PS, Bryce, and Cinema 4d. As well as to show off my pictures and other stuff.:buttrock:

singularity2006
05-01-2003, 06:18 AM
it's ok. I honestly have seen the dark metal steel look a bit overused.... it's perhaps a bit too "distracting" on the eyes for me these days. personally, I prefer something a bit less extreme... utilize background color for your design, not bevel and emboss. You can do better than follow the "trend." Besides, the design scheme u have is very difficult to implement in terms of varying screen resolutions and amount of content unless u use a lot of iframing... which is.... not quite supported well unless ur using IE5 and above... netscape has shoddy support for iframing.

singularity2006
05-01-2003, 06:19 AM
i like this guy's work: http://www.stridingstudio.com/ <--- he has a "genius" (compared to myself) sense of thematics through color and design without the neet to get "tacky." ... though I am not saying your's is tacky. It's good, but not for the caliber of your work.

Snich
05-01-2003, 10:09 PM
I like the overall design and color scheme. Just be mindful of the size of your graphics when you slice it up for the web. Subtle gradients can get turned into ugly color bands when compressed into jpgs, and transparent gifs can't handle drop shadows without matting. Plus if you're using this site as an online portfolio, you definately don't want your background graphics to take too much time to load. Of course I don't know how many websites you've done, but just thought I'd mention that. The look is cool though. :)

Emberghost
05-02-2003, 12:41 AM
Thanks im gonna change it now to something alittle more suitable to the needs of viewers I guess lol. I myself have never created my own webpage from scratch so this is all very new to me. I will hopefully keep postin my progress.....

Emberghost
05-02-2003, 01:26 AM
This is what I have so far, I am without a toolbar, still tryiing to think of something...

Emberghost
05-02-2003, 01:26 AM
Oh I forgot to add any suggestions on a toolbar would be great thanks!

bumskee
05-02-2003, 02:59 AM
hey~
well it's ok, but i agree with singularity, metal look does seem to have been over used, (including myself) :eek: :eek:
also, i am thinking you are putting far too much graphics there, bevel effect can get boring, a simple pixel effect often does the job better.
But, I think you are on the right track! post your progress, i would like to see how others do there web site construction!

ooo, toolbar?? as in menus and navs?

cheers,

singularity2006
05-02-2003, 03:26 AM
jo0 got a kool color scheme that u can work with. The bevel and emboss though... I seriously think u should toss it entirely. Use subtle color variations or hard transitions between colors to get the effect as opposed to that type of hard lining. Basic tables, geometry, can get u a lot more than horizontal boxes with bevels and embosses. This kinda thing is more reserved for animated flash navigations. But yes, ur on the right track.

One thing I keep in mind when designing sites, I prefer them to be scalable regardless of screen resolution ... i want the thing to take up 100% of the horizontal space and I want the layout to fit accordingly. check out my site @ http://instillstudios.yoshi8me.com/ and my pet project @ http://staff.esuhsd.org/~ih-govt/ to see what I mean about scaling. Look @ the pages, and try scaling the size of the browser window.

The way you have your current site setup, you confine yourself pretty badly to a single sized resolution that can either look cool or nightmarish if you have a lot of content.

But then again, depending on how well u organize, you can use a small exact size layout size that will look nice... I've seen a few of these, but sometimes it gets a bit odd trying to read them on ultra high resolutions where the width of the layout becomes a really small column.

http://www.precisionart.net/index.php <-- this is an incredibly nice use of the set non scaling site ... which works gorgeously for as low as 640x480 as it should ... but on my screen, 1280 x 1024 gets hella .... ehr... it looks crammed all to a single size of the screen which gets a little painful to look @... looks cramped....

but keep working... keep working... oh yeah, keeep in mind developing ur site such that the image slices u make can be laid out with the content using either dHTML layers or using tables (probably the most compatible way to do things i think), or frames (taboo in most cases... i gotta learn to get away from them).

oh yeah, my students did something using the concepts I presented in terms of scaling. You can find that here:

http://submit.thinkquest.org/TQ0312680/
username: TQ0312680
password: belief12

bumskee
05-02-2003, 06:34 PM
hey, your web site is really sleeek..
:beer:
got some nice stuff there, including Boa images, just wondering though, are you korean?

singularity2006
05-02-2003, 07:21 PM
hehee, thanks. It's my hobby site ... and lol no, I'm not korean. I'm asian though. =D I had this thing for BoA but then it got old cuz she hasn't released much new lately and I haven't found any good new pics of vids .... a gig of vid and 2 thousand some pics and I think it's gotten old.... it's all about Kim Eugene @ the moment..... :drool:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.