PDA

View Full Version : Getting a job at siggraph

Maestro99
02-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Having never been before I was wondering how likely it is to find work as a direct result of going with demo reel in hand to siggraph, is there much opportunity to hand it out to potential employers?

Titus
02-14-2008, 02:19 PM
It's a good moment to get a personal interview, but remember there are many candidates for the few jobs available.

In my experiencie you may have a better opportunity contacting companies a couple of months after/before SIGGRAPH

psyop63b
02-14-2008, 09:47 PM
There are multiple approaches you could/should pursue:

Submit materials to studios that will be present at Siggraph ahead of time. Mention you will be attending the conference and will make yourself available to interview in person.
Studios that are exhibiting may be accepting demo reels at their booth. They review it and call you if they want to talk further. (Provide a cell #)
There's the job fair. Self-explanatory.
There's lots of social events at Siggraph (parties, user group meetings, local Siggraph chapter meetings, etc.). Go and network.

SanjayChand
02-15-2008, 04:20 AM
- Dont just go for the big companies. Go to the job fair and check out the smaller studios (ofcourse they are on the main floor also).

- If you can spot a booth that is relatively dead, go up and introduce yourself. Often times if things are slow, they will look at your reel on the spot (in that case it would be beneficial to have a laptop or mp3 player with a large screen and your reel running on it).

- Make business cards and hand them out.

- And ofcourse, make sure your reel is kick ass. Dont put anything on it that wouldnt shine by itself.

iliketrees
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
Theres the Career/Job Fair that psyop63b mentioned, you can find out which companies are actually hiring opposed to which are just advertising.

Get yourself down to the tradeshow floor, companies will advertise open positions directly there, it's the perfect networking and research situation u'll ever get if you ask me. Do your best to see past the noise and commotion of the products and focus on the truly useful resources... people!!

Be assertive and friendly (its not rocket science, remember their buying you first), find out what their looking for in applicants. if you have a certain studio you wana work for, talk to them and find out what they most wana see in a reel. Also a good idea to ask if the listed/posted positions are current openings, or whether the published items are just sample positions.

As for whether to take a reel with you, I say meeting and getting to know some of the studio guys is way better use than dropping off reels everywhere. Some companies will publish lists of positions that are not actually being filled to encourage the submission of reels but i agree with the above guys submitting a reel at SIGGRAPH isn't a wise move, seminars at previous SIGGRAPH's have even said so. Imagine the sheer number being handed in, there'd never be the time to view them all and I suppose they can get very samey . Better to submit a reel well before or after in my opinion, but remember don't go submitting the same reel twice in less than a 6-month period to the same studio.

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2008, 04:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.