PDA

View Full Version : character: Problems with Optimus Prime!!!

Bu3D
05-01-2003, 12:45 AM
Well... i have a problem with this character: optimus prime. I want to animate it, and i have some questions...

1.- have i to do a bones system??? (i think "yes..."):eek:
2.- this character is a lot of elements... this elements must be connected? into a group?:scream:
3.- have i to do a skin? :buttrock:
4.- when i apliccate the modifier "skin" to the character (all the elements inside a group), "Mr. 3dsmax" tell me that "one or more obfects references another" what can i do?? :drool:

there are my questions :wip: and one frame of optimus. i want to do an animation like animated films with the inkīn paint that iīm learning to use (i have brazil but i canīt use it)

please allpeople critique my character and my poor english and my person!! :bounce:

Thanks to ALL

bye.

Hugh
05-01-2003, 01:59 AM
1.- have i to do a bones system??? (i think "yes..."):eek:

Yes, you do... (well, you don't *have* to, but you will have a hard job animating without)

2.- this character is a lot of elements... this elements must be connected? into a group?:scream:

Each 'section' of the character should be one group... The bits that stay together and don't move relative to each other... So, for example, the lower leg is one group, upper leg another, etc...

3.- have i to do a skin? :buttrock:

Not for this kind of thing. I'd suggest parenting the sections (groups mentioned above) to the bones, and making sure you've got the pivot points in the right positions....

4.- when i apliccate the modifier "skin" to the character (all the elements inside a group), "Mr. 3dsmax" tell me that "one or more obfects references another" what can i do?? :drool:

As a Maya user, I can't really help you there... sorry, but I don't think you want to use skin on this model, anyway..

Bu3D
05-01-2003, 02:06 AM
thanks thanks thanks thanks. i see all that better than before. i will do all that you say.

bye!!!!!

Hugh
05-01-2003, 02:08 AM
cool - glad you understood what I meant.....

good luck with it!

Chris_Wallace
05-11-2003, 06:17 AM
Allow me to ask this question:

For a robot like Prime, are bones really necessary? Won't a simple IK linking suffice?

Chris

Hugh
05-12-2003, 01:14 PM
I'm assuming that in your program you can use IK on parented objects... AFAIK, you have to have joints to have IK in Maya.

If you can, then joints are not strictly necessary - however, the extra flexibility that they give you can be useful - being able to set joint limit information, for example...

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.