PDA

View Full Version : Mental ray is crashing. Help.

GulagCGOner
02-14-2008, 01:14 AM
Hey everyone,
Lately I've been getting this error in the script editor when I render. It looks like this.

Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : no render camera found, final scene will be incomplete and can't be rendered //
Warning: (Mayatomr.Shader) : mentalrayTexture1: referenced writable texture file "c:/temp/ssstest465" already exists, overwrite //
Error: *Fatal* (mental ray) : mental ray encountered a fatal error. The system may have become unstable. Please save the scene and exit Maya. //

When this happens, Mental ray won't render anymore and I have to shut the program down. If I reload the prog, and render again, I can usually do about 5-6 renders, but then the error happens again. Does anyone know what's going one here?

Thanks,
John

GulagCGOner
02-14-2008, 01:23 AM
here is another script leading to the error right after I opened the scene:

Warning: (Mayatomr.Scene) : no render camera found, final scene will be incomplete and can't be rendered //
Error: (Mayatomr.Export) : mental ray startup failed with errors //
Error: (mental ray) : cannot load C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/lib/mi_openexr.dll, The specified module could not be found. //
Error: (mental ray) : cannot load C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya8.5/mentalray/lib/mi_openexr.dll, The specified module could not be found. //
Warning: Render view: Selected region is too small //
Warning: (Mayatomr.Shader) : mentalrayTexture1: referenced writable texture file "c:/temp/ssstest465" already exists, overwrite //
*Fatal* (mental ray) : mental ray encountered a fatal error. The system may have become unstable. Please save the scene and exit Maya.

GulagCGOner
02-14-2008, 02:01 AM
Another thing I noticed is that only 1.2 gig of ram is used when rendering, and I have 3 gig on the machine. Is it running out of ram, and if so why?

EDIT: Now it won't render. I always get the error on first render. If I hide the character with the SSS it renders, but if the character layer is showing, I get the error.

Necronomiden
02-14-2008, 12:46 PM
yeah ive been getting these errors when trying to render a displacement with an sss shader and shave and a haircut in maya 8.5 so i opted to composite in photoshop instead, i just updated to sp1 so hopefully it was a fixed bug :D. howabout showing what your trying to render

GulagCGOner
02-21-2008, 09:21 AM
CAN ANYONE HELP?

What does that error mean exactly? Is a crucial Mental Ray file not loading at startup. I get this same error when I try to do a MR batch render through command prompt, and then it won't render. I really need to render this animation, and I can't do it. This error keeps popping up. I've gone to the specified dir and the mi_opener.dll file is in that dir, so what's the deal?

Thanks for any help,
I feel I'm going crazy.

JesseGraffam
02-21-2008, 06:59 PM
looks to me like you're missing a file. How that is possible I don't know. Hopefully someone will point you in the right direction. I wish I knew more about script editor.

tribuanimal
02-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Why just don't try to reinstall Maya? ... maybe this file is corrupted ... have you had some hard disk crash? ...

also can try to delete the Maya preferences located on " My Documents " ( remember to make a backup of this folder preferences before to delete it ), and Maya just will make a default ones ...

good luck

TheNeverman
02-21-2008, 09:18 PM
A few of those lines make reference to OpenEXR files - are you using .exr files in your scene somewhere?

GulagCGOner
02-21-2008, 11:15 PM
What are .exr files and how do I get rid of them. If I am using them I'm unaware of it.

TheNeverman
02-24-2008, 06:57 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Openexr

Is this maya file built by you or someone else? Most likely, the .exr file is being used for HDRI, maybe post a screenshot of what's going on in the scene?

CGTalk Moderation
02-24-2008, 06:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.