PDA

View Full Version : > Transforming Mesh/Poly INTO Particles, can I do this?

danzums
02-13-2008, 10:20 PM
Ok, so I want to transform this 3D text which I fragmented into smaller pieces into particles so I can use deflector space warps and such. But, alas, I can't seem to get it to work with pflow. I don't know if its my settings or if what I am trying to do can't be done the way I currently have my scene set up. I want all my pieces to look like they currently do, but to just register as particles instead of regular geometry.

If anyone has any suggestions, it would be awesome.

-Thank You.

PsychoSilence
02-14-2008, 08:11 AM
u have to use a birth script:

on ChannelsUsed pCont do
(
pCont.useAge = true
pCont.useTM = true
pCont.useShape = true
)

on Init pCont do
(
global ChunksArray = $frag_* as array
)

on Proceed pCont do
(
t = pCont.getTimeStart() as float

if t < 0 do
(
NumChunks = ChunksArray.count
for i = 1 to NumChunks do
(
pCont.AddParticle()
pCont.particleIndex = pCont.NumParticles()
pCont.particleAge = 0
pCont.particleTM = ChunksArray[i].transform
pCont.particleShape = ChunksArray[i].mesh
)
)
)

on Release pCont do
(

)

note that "$frag_*" is the naming of the fragments so u either have to mass-rename all your pieces frag_01-n or u have to change the script.

for further details please use the often undervalued search function in this forum and check this link: http://laurent.renaud.free.fr/tuto01-uk.html . "fragments as particles" is one of the most discussed topics here...

cheers,
anselm

danzums
02-14-2008, 03:23 PM
Thank You. This worked for me up until I used the deflector. I don't know what I did wrong but the deflector isn't effecting the particles at all. But thank you very much for the resources.

figure8
02-18-2008, 07:51 AM
be sure you changed the gizmo of each fragment to it´s own geometry's center. besides check if you´re using the correct display-op in your flow.

if you like you can show us your flow to make help easier :-)

Wicked
02-18-2008, 10:45 AM
be sure you changed the gizmo of each fragment to it´s own geometry's center. besides check if you´re using the correct display-op in your flow.

if you like you can show us your flow to make help easier :-)
You mean aligning the pivot: "Center to Object"? ;)

Also, don't forget to "Reset X-Form" of all of the fragments your going to use.

figure8
02-18-2008, 11:01 AM
You mean aligning the pivot: "Center to Object"? ;)

Also, don't forget to "Reset X-Form" of all of the fragments your going to use.

jep, exactly :) thanks for correcting.

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2008, 11:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.