PDA

View Full Version : Dynamics Question

WhiteMeat
05-01-2003, 12:16 AM
is there a way to set a squash deformer up to have it react automatically with dynamics? for instance, to have something squash when it hits a person, or wall? is there a way to tweak settings on a gravity field/turbulance/or the object that i want to squash/stretch so that it is calculated automatically by maya rather than to set teh keys by hand?

thanks in advance

Jozvex
05-01-2003, 12:52 AM
The type of effect you are looking for is usually known as 'softbody' dynamics. Which Maya has!

What you could do, is apply a lattice to your object, then use Make Softbody. You'll have to look it up I'm afraid because I'm not at Maya at the moment.

Softbody dynamics allows object to react to forces in a more squishy way.

WhiteMeat
05-01-2003, 01:12 AM
but what value does the lattice provide for me in this instance? i'm looking to have maya calculate all the informatino and deformations for me *if possible*

thansk for your help thus far :)

ferris
05-01-2003, 06:11 AM
I'm not sure what you would use the lattice for, but for softbodies, I would just take your object and select "convert to softbody,Duplicate make non soft goal" Then when you have your gravity or whatever fields you need set up for you dynamics, And choose the geometry that it needs to collide with "Particles make collision object" then you just adjust your goal weight for your softbody and\or springs. No keyframing required. If you haven't done this before, you might want to get your maya bible out(That huge monsterous phonebook looking thing : ) and turn to the corresponding chapter. Also I left out the small steps this is just the major workflow so you get the idea.

SheepFactory
05-01-2003, 07:55 AM
Post under the correct forums please!

Jozvex
05-01-2003, 09:11 AM
A lot of people (including me) use lattices as the dynamic softbody cage, which in turn will deform your mesh.

If you apply the softbody effect straight onto your mesh, Maya has to calculate dynamics on every vertice on your model! Which can mean thousands of calculations per frame (really slow)! By making a lattice the softbody you only need to calculate a few lattice control points dynamically (near realtime).

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.