PDA

View Full Version : Painter 9.5 crashes on Mac Leopard

Fanko
02-13-2008, 12:58 PM
I just updated my Painter 9 to Painter 9.5 and it crashes every time I try to draw somthing. Is anyone here having the same problem? Is painter 10 runs faster on leopard, should I consider upgrading this version or should I just stick to 9.0?

Many thanks
Franklin

fenixway
02-14-2008, 12:25 AM
Hi, Franklin
I can tell you that Painter X, worked fine on my G4, but now on my new Mac Pro with Leopard just doesn´t work just as good. On my first installations, when i tried to save a document the program closed and the document just disappeared, now, and after reinstall a few times more that problem is gone, but now i have problems with some functions, like scalling and rotating... so maybe upgrading will not do the work.

Fenixway

Fanko
02-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Crap, how come this widely popular program doesn't have the good support like Photoshop. So weird. However, I manage to fix the problem (hopefully thats all the problem to come). I delete the Painter 9.5 app folder and reinstall Painter 9 again. Somehow the program already update to 9.5 itself at start and the crashing problem is gone.

Rizo
03-02-2008, 09:44 AM
I'm using Painter 9 in a mac pro from 2007, and it's running nowhere fast where I thought it should be.. :( , I only have one gig of Ram... do I need more? :S

theCloudmover
03-14-2008, 06:04 AM
I'm using Painter 9 in a mac pro from 2007, and it's running nowhere fast where I thought it should be.. :( , I only have one gig of Ram... do I need more? :S

You could load 16gbs in your Mac Pro and it still wouldn't make a difference.

Read through this CGTalk thread--

Are you curious on which Mac, Painter X runs the fastest? (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=112&t=560021)

Long story short - Painter IS NOT multi-processor aware. It only uses one core to calculate.

You and I would get the same performance from a Mac Mini as we would from an 4 or 8 core Mac Pro.

... and even then Painter wouldn't be utilizing both cores in the Mac Mini!!

It's very, very disappointing. Multi-processor systems are common these days in both the Windows and Mac world and it's unforgivable that Painter should lag this far behind the technology curve.

dvillus
03-14-2008, 11:17 AM
I just updated my Painter 9 to Painter 9.5 and it crashes every time I try to draw somthing. Is anyone here having the same problem? Is painter 10 runs faster on leopard, should I consider upgrading this version or should I just stick to 9.0?

Many thanks
Franklin

I had a similar problem with 9.5 when I went from 9 to 9.5. It wasn't in leopard so I'm not sure if this will be a fix for you or not. To fix my problem I had to restore all my brushes to the default variant and then rebuild them to my desired specs.

I would suggest you try it with one brush that normally causes a crash to see if this helps you or not, before you go and do all of them. Also try to write down all the various settings you may have changed so it's easier to get back to the brushes you like working with.

I hope this helps.

62 and a wake up! :)

CGTalk Moderation
03-14-2008, 11:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.