PDA

View Full Version : Isolated Unreal Fog

kyuketsuki
02-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Here is an image of the early stages of a level that I have been working on with my students.

What I would like to do is make the bottom of the chasm look much deeper than it is. The primary way I thought I could achieve this would be deep dense fog obscuring the bottom of the chasm. I do want some fog in the rest of the level, but not as dense as I want it at the bottom. I cannot figure out how to isolate fog, or if it's even possible. I have tried physics volumes, but you can only see the dense fog when you are in the volume. I tried placing an anti-portal with another ZoneInfo with dense fog but that would not render outside of the zone not to mention it gave me some HOM and clipping issues. I even tried making the bottom of the chasm invisible, making the subtractive cube show backdrop and letting it view into a fog heavy skybox but that gave me dirty sharp edges where the terrain was hidden. I also tried to add several layers of Static Mesh Planes with high alpha cloud textures and placing them in layers, you can still tell that it's just flat planes and not actually foggy.

Any ideas on how to create an area of higher density fog in Unreal 2k4? If not, any suggestions or tricks for making the chasm appear that it's endless/bottomless?

I have tried so much, checked my books and Unreal Wiki. Someone please help, this is starting to take way too much time......

http://www.davidaclifton.com/Posted/Unreal_Valley1.jpg

Thank You

ojko
02-13-2008, 08:32 AM
It's been a while since i've used UnrealED, but I don't think that's possible. You'd have to render the fog below the player to achieve what you want and I don't think 2k4 has that ability.

Marsfyre
02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Make a fog volume in the fog area, and then put a plane or two above it to fake it. The fog volume will make it seem foggy if you fall in. If you want it to look endless, you can just make it fade to black or to a "fog" color by painting it into a layer in the terrain. I feel sorry for the student whos paying for a class taught by a teacher whos learning what hes trying to teach as hes teaching it.

Gephoria
02-13-2008, 03:46 PM
I am currently a 10th quarter student at brown college and this is actually pretty easy to accomplish but hard to perfect to my understanding

You need to make multiple fog volumes that blend into one another witch isn't hard to accomplish,

so your real problem is seeing the denser fog, this you could set up meshes, with LoD's on them, that utilize the engine cleaverly, i believe that there is a way to set a LoD to be completely transparent upon the LoD2, what these meshes are for is to see the fog that the engine fails to render until your in the physics zone.

if the engine doesn't do what you want it to, trick the player to thinking otherwise

j83
02-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Is there a certain reason you don't use Unreal Engine 3/UT3?

So many companies use UE3, and it'd be good practice. The node-based material editor is great as well. :)

Unreal Tournament 3 has the most mature version of UnrealEd, whereas the UnrealEd that comes with Gears of War isn't the most stable, and Roboblitz's version of UnrealEd is a bit dated. ;)

Also, for fog, this might be a good tutorial. :)
http://www.hourences.com/book/tutorialsue3fog.htm

Hourences
02-14-2008, 08:24 AM
The engine can't render for like that, Marsfyre's work around is the way to go. And you need to put an alpha map on the fog plane, and manually make the fog plane blend out with it, so to not make fog stick into the sides of the terrain as an ugly and very obvious plane. Make it fade out as it gets near a piece of geometry.

You should switch to UE3 if at all possible, as you can see in my tutorial already linked here, it is just so much easier to do in UE3...

kyuketsuki
02-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Thank you for all of the help. I think a combination of the ideas will work, I will post the results. I will be posting the finished level when the class is complete anyway. I am not using U3 because I have not had the time to learn it well enough to teach it. The only reason I am teaching Unreal at all is the school started the class with no instructor so I had two months to learn as much as possible. The students love it, they are helping me research and figure it out, it helps them learn how to research (or ask on CGTalk if all else fails). The are doing well considering I have only had less than two years to teach them basic computing, Photoshop and Maya.

I do have another question while I have your attention.

We have been making our static meshes in Maya and exporting with ActorX of course. All of the meshes are UV Mapped and custom textures are painted. Everything is fine in Maya, as soon as I bring them into Unreal the textures are mis-aligned. I'm sure this is common and I have just overlooked something, some quirk of Unreal. Help?

Thank You

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2008, 11:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.