PDA

View Full Version : gf4, oxygen gvx1, radeon 8500

crexnfx
04-17-2002, 05:12 AM
hi all, (same question i posted on another site)

here it goes, same old question.......which video card to get.

i've been reading up on the Geforce 4 ti 4600 and that seems to
be the most popular nowadays...but i've heard of the quadros...

are they considered higher end cards?.....also i've been out of
the video card news for awhile (i have a oxygen vx1)....but isn't
the Geforce initially intended as a game card????

anyways, i'm leaning towards the geforce 4 ti 4600....but i'm
wondering about oxygen gvx1 or maybe radeon 8500...

also, while i'm at it .....does anyone know if there are
any dual P4 motherboards....

basically, if anyone could give some advise on building a new
workstation, it would be a lot of help......thanks in advance

oh yeah, my budget is about $1000 usd, then again i know it
will most definately be more......
(as the saying goes: what's a few more bucks)....

ALIASWAVE
04-17-2002, 07:50 AM
Ok the videocard question
the radeon (SLOW!)bad choice and cost to much. I have 2 computers
one with a geforce4 ti 4600 and a radeon the radeon doesn't run as smooth as the geforce.
(the geforce cost about the same or more as the radeon but its worth it!)
The geforce has the same chip as a quadro but the quadro has speacial features that the geforce has locked.
With special software (softquadro) you can unlock them.
So i would go with the geforce unless you can afford the quadro line.
There is no dual p4 boards there is a dual Xeon which cost a arm and leg.
If your look for better speed and cost go with a dual AMD MP
you can put Dual Mp's or XP's.
XP's are cheap and a lot faster than p4s

pcbehmer
04-17-2002, 07:51 AM
hi man.... that thread come just in time... I was wondering about a new video card (I actually got a Geforce2, but transfosformed by driver in Quadro 2 ..(yeah it works and runs very well...).. so I was answering about a Radeon 8500 vs GeForce 3 Ti 5000.. (in brazil its my only choice...(recently they got that Ge3 and only in one location... Geforce 4 just in dreams :D

So, like I see, I will got Radeon 8500....

See ya buddy...

UrbanFuturistic
04-19-2002, 08:34 PM
Just a couple of points:

The Radeon 8500 is only equivelant to the GeForce 3 Ti 500 but it is faster and until the GeForce 4 came out was cheaper. It is, however, still cheaper than most Ti GeForce 4 cards.

The Quadro XGL cards actually use a different chip to the Geforce 4 cards so the softquadro stuff no longer applies

regards, Paulhttp://homepage.ntlworld.com/odubtaig/smilies/smoker.gif

romz
05-03-2002, 06:32 AM
I use a Oxygen GVX1 card on my Dell pentium 3 866 and it's fine but I would recommend going out (or staying home) and ordering a more updated card just to stay on top of technology. The Quadro 4 Xgl series cards handle 3d pretty nicely, if you can afford one, I would say go for it.

romz

ZrO-1
05-03-2002, 10:10 PM
With the new generation cards your best value/performance combo would be the quadro4 xgl 700. The 900 is even better but it is more expensive. Don't bother with the FireGL or the Gloria. You could get the same performance out of a GeForce 4 for less $. If you want the absolute best and money isn't an issue then you could get the Wildcat III 6110 or 6210. These recomendations are for professional cards only. If you want to spend less than $900 then go with a GeForce 4 Ti 4600 card. If you go with a pro workstation card make sure your motherboard has AGP pro since many of them can take advantage of that.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.