PDA

View Full Version : jump over the wall.WIP

wen_art
02-12-2008, 06:48 AM
My animation assignment is to have character do something then jump over the wall. Still WIP, any critic welcome :)

http://wen.lester850.info/wen02/works/JumpoverBox.mov

SalvadorRuizJr
02-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Awesome work. The only thing that really caught my eye as needing more work is the reaction to the explotion. IMO it's too quick and we need to register some sort of a pose before he settles back.

NilsLS
02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
really nice! i like it alot. only thing that i kinda saw was when he lands it looks a bit like he comes down pretty straight down and then he slides forward on his stomach a bit, maybe tone down the amount he slides, or have him move forward more in the jump? it also may just look like that since there's no ground right now.

good work man, really cool piece!

wen_art
02-15-2008, 02:10 AM
Thanks for the critics, itís really helpful.

I will make the explosion more cleared and polish the jump motion more.

Flutic
02-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Nice animation, can't crit allot
But it would be nice if he puts the knife in his mouth and than jump over the wall.
Just my thaught.

Greets,Tom

Davethewave711
02-27-2008, 09:13 AM
this animation is looking pretty good overall
i have a few critiques...

it doesn't feel like he is pushing off forward to get to the grenade...he appears to go forward a little bit in up of jump but then stops completely moving forward and comes straight down...the momentum should not stop until he hits the ground...so it should continue forward...the other thing about the jump is that his hang time is at the moment too long... you can keep the same timing if you give him more of an anticipation down which imo you need if he is going to jump as high as he is...it would be nice to have his hips come down first and sooner than they are and to have the torso and head and arms overlap this and continue up offset from hips...will give it a nice fluid motion as well...so hips then torso then arms then head come down in that order...

have the explosion as fast as it is at the beginning have it blast his hands up as quick thats good but then have the coming down motion be a bit slower i would say 4 frames...and have it overlap here as well...have there be a bit more favor on top of inbetweens just like a ball bouce...this will allow the eye to catch what is happening...right now it is too fast...
his eyes are not looking at the helmet as well when he looks up at it...i would have a reaction to the helmet saving him...like woah that actually worked...i would shave off 2 frames of his looking down...

for the turn around there needs to be follow through with the arm you need to have it keep going forward after he is turned around...it needs to balance his turning...so the left arm needs to come back and the right arm needs to come forward...i would have the right arm hit the sand bags first instead of the left hand...
anyways... i have to go...hope this helped...

dave

Phredrek
02-27-2008, 07:26 PM
good start.

First of all, have the grenade come from somewhere else besides directly behind him, for a second I thought it came out of his hand. make sure it's very much visually coming from somewhere else.

those two steps he takes before he dives for the grenade, have the steps happen faster but hold on each step for longer. so uber quick transition but hold.

when he looks up at his helmet, he's kind of dead there, give him a quick blink or something to keep him alive.

while the grenade is in the air, his motions are very floaty, and his left knee especially. when he looks at the grenade, maybe have his pupils bigger or something, hard to see that he's actually looking at it since his head is facing a different direction.

after the grenade blows up and he checks his helmet, he moves it up and then down again then back up, doesn't really make sense. maybe have his other hand tap the top of the helmet to get the crud out or something then he puts it on, theres an opportunity there for a little more acting potiential and for his character to show.

Just before he gets up and runs off, give him more of an antic, and rotate his body more in the opposite direction, you have a little bit going on tehre but exagerate it, hold, then blast him out there with a beautiful arc.

Needs more hangtime when he jumps and he should drop down much faster to feel the weight of a strong soldier.

good luck!

Frederic

wen_art
02-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Thanks for the help.You guys are rock!!!
A lots good feedbacks and comments, I will concentrate on the reaction when bomb blow up. Also I will continue to polish my animation and fix some small issue such as jump and eyes movement. I will post my update version soon.
Thanks

wen_art
02-29-2008, 08:13 AM
I polish the animation a little bit. I add couple frames when grenade is blow up. I also fix the eyes and many other small things. Any critics and feedback welcomeJ

http://wen.lester850.info/wen02/works/JumpoverBox.mov (http://wen.lester850.info/wen02/works/JumpoverBox.mov)

Phredrek
02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
hey that's good you did some changes. looks better for sure

-the guy's hang time before he dives on the grenade seems a tad too long
-when he looks up after the blast, his rotation is too floaty. within the same time, have his head dip down a bit for a little anticipation and then up faster
- he's still rotating the helmet down again before he puts it on. if you're going to do that, maybe at least have him knock the helmet on the ground or with his hand to get rid of the blast crap in his helmet.
-when he turns around to run, i'd have him anticipate even more and bring him lower so that when he finishes the turn and he's up it's a nice arc.
-when he finishes his turn, that's when he should reach his max translate Y. right now he goes up and then continues to turn, which means visually for frames 301 to frames 306 he's rotating at one level, very mechanical movement during these frames. have his translate Y continue to go up right to the end. it'll make a nice arc.
- also watch the arc made by the tip of his gun. start down left then swoosh it up top right. not just rotating above like that. trust me this little detail will improve it alot

good job and great work so far!

Frederic

CGTalk Moderation
02-29-2008, 03:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.