PDA

View Full Version : Differences Between Photoshop and Illistrator

lachoneus
02-12-2008, 02:09 AM
I had a quick question. What are some specific things that Adobe Illistrator can do that Adobe Photoshop can't?

I am using version CS3 for both.

Thanks

bobzilla
02-12-2008, 03:40 AM
They both crossover in some respects, and in those crossover areas, one usually excels over the other.

Vectors: Both use them, Illustrator is "better" at them.
Bitmaps (pixels): Both use them, Photoshop is "better" at them.

I still can't get used to Shape layers and the way Photoshop handles vectors, so other than making paths for a specific purpose, I don't use much vectors in PS.

Keep in mind, I'm just giving two examples.

klingspor
02-12-2008, 02:07 PM
The names give away a lot: If your task involves editing photographic material, Photoshop is your program of choice.
When it comes to graphics (in the traditional sense) as in illustrations or logo work, you'll want to use Illustrator because it offers finer control and resolution independence.

lachoneus
02-12-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks. These are some good details that I didn't know.

Thanks again.

TheNeverman
02-13-2008, 03:37 AM
Photoshop is capable of producing vector graphics as well, but you don't have near the toolset as Illustrator for working with them...

The names give away a lot: If your task involves editing photographic material, Photoshop is your program of choice.
When it comes to graphics (in the traditional sense) as in illustrations or logo work, you'll want to use Illustrator because it offers finer control and resolution independence.

stylEmon
02-13-2008, 10:24 PM
generally, photoshop is for editing or painting.
Illustrator is for creating

mocaw
02-21-2008, 03:52 AM
I'd say there are quite a few technical differences, but mostly I'd say what others have- one is vector (which is resolution independent) and one is raster, or pixel based.

A lot of times it easier to think in terms of what image you have to create, the amount of time, and the output format of the final image etc. Of coarse that requires a bit of experience with each one...and a knowledge of each ones strengths...weaknesses...and your own work style.

Vector art by nature works well for hard edged things- be it logos or even stylized product images etc. When it comes to adding subtle changes over a complex organic surface and complex gradation etc. then Photoshop is often easier to use. Anyone who has built a face etc. using gradient mesh or shape blending in illustrator will tell you so (though the challenge is fun)!

Of coarse...once you get use to using both it's not unusual to use each program on a project for its strengths (such as building the basic forms of a car in Illustrator, then importing it into Photoshop for the addition of certain highlight effects etc.).

I think personal choice, work habits, and training often lead people to use one or the other to accomplish similar results.

On the job front, I've found that there are more PS jobs around...but there are also a lot of people who know how to use PS. Illustrator users almost seem a semi dieing breed...but the up shot is that there are still many needs for vector work and fewer people to fight over bids on commercial work! If you can do both...and throw in some 3D etc. then your a great asset. This has been my experience at least.

Sorry for the ramble...

CGTalk Moderation
02-21-2008, 03:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.