PDA

View Full Version : super slow editor view refresh on Mac Pro

jablinko
02-11-2008, 10:49 PM
I am having extremely slow computer response all of a sudden.

8 core 3.0 ghz machine, 8gb ram, radeon x1900 xt gfx card

running 10.4.11

i had been having the garbled editor view, not sure if any of you guys have seen this, but had ok response, had a few days of AE stuff to do, when i come back to this, even with a restart, i cant drag the playhead at all, and when i load my scene, its blank for like 10 secs before i see even the edit view of it. I do have a mo graph cloner with a 100x100 clone wall going on, and maybe thats thats making this slow.

ive tried the most basic of display settings, but even making those changes, it takes a while for the editor screen to refresh with the new display settings.

also, perian has been giving an error msg, so maybe remving that will help. it feels to me like a gfx card memory issue, which with this card, seems funny since it has 512 mb, but on this computer isnt too surprising. its fasr to render, but it often feels hangy and like there are some memory kinks to it. an empty scene opens ok and i can create primitives and move them around.

whats wierd is this same scene that is slow was fine earlier.

is there any trick to zapping this gfx card or anything else. would be happy to know. thx

TheCore
02-11-2008, 11:53 PM
I had that problem sometime back, but it went away when I discovered that this happend only when I had my Opera-browser open in the background. Most lightly not the case for you, but if you have a Mac, an Opera browser and Cinema 4D, kill the browser when C4d is running.

mogh
02-12-2008, 12:58 PM
I have a similar problem with my HD2600 on a new MacPro ... so i personaly think it a poor OpenGL Driver from ATI ....

I have the same open up scene isue (like 3-5 seconds till i can see something) and the polygon selection is freaking slow ( i can actualy see the redraw of the Live slection circle in polygon mode) only OSX

second i can't click on a object in viewport, cinema hangs for about 6 seconds an then selects the top of the Objecmanager tree not the object i selected (same isue in windows by the way)

not exactly the same as your problem but the similaryties are striking

all other applications and the normal interface stuff is normal

Running R10 on OSX 10.5.2 nothing changed
and Windows Xp 32bit SP2

Activator
02-12-2008, 01:09 PM
It looks like the new 10.5.2 update may solve a LOT of these issues. I just updated this morning. No more garbled viewport, no render slow-down and a huge scene with multiple image-mapped Quicktimes, transparent walls and objects, 40,000 particles, etc. scrolls in the timeline as smooth as silk.

I'm on a brand new Dual 2.8 (8 core) MacPro in stock config. And this is with only 2 GB RAM! (4 more coming today.)

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2008, 01:09 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.