PDA

View Full Version : image size

Henrikg
02-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Hello!

I have a basic question regarding image size.

When working on a painting in PS, up until now because I`ve had a pretty weak prosessor I`ve been working in 300dpi, the minimum for print.In a 8 x 10 inch document thats 2400 3000 px. I`ve found it hard to zoom real close for the details.When I see people do really tight paintings I assume they`re working in a higher resolution (dpi)-more pixels. But when I change the amount of dpi when I open a new document there isn`t nessesarily a change in the amount of pixels.

Let`s say you want to make a smooth pic in 8 x 10 would you work in let`s say 10000x 6000px or something hardcore like that?-but still in 300 dpi?+ I`ve seen Ryan Church working in a low res when he`s sketching his painting and then blowing them up when it`s time for the finish-isn`t that kind of a "no-no"when you work for print?

tomt
02-12-2008, 05:12 AM
Don't know if this works for everyone, but it does for me;

I'll work at a resolution similar to yours, but I work in layers. If I need to do some work at a higher resolution first I'll duplicate the layer, then I'll cut and paste the duplicate layer in a new document and then resize the image to a multiple of the original resolution.

An example, my original document is 300 ppi, I'll cut and paste the layer I'm workng with to a new doc at the same resolution. I'll crop it to just the boundries of the layer. Then I'll resize the image to 600ppi to do any detailed work I require. Then I'll resize the image back down to 300ppi. Copy and paste back to the original image, saving my computer resources by not having the whole image worked at the higher resolution. It really speeds me up.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2008, 05:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.