PDA

View Full Version : environment artist portfolio

copain
02-11-2008, 01:00 PM
hey there

just about finished updating my webpage.

Looking for feedback on the site and work.
the only thing not working yet is the 2D page, the rest should be ok.

www.stevedev.be (http://www.stevedev.be)

thanks
steve

LaughingBun
02-11-2008, 05:04 PM
site looks pretty nice. the work itself i still think needs a little work. I would go back through your texture maps and coverup all the black areas with the texture itself, Just to kinda hide the way your uv maps are laid out. They get the job done but are a little bit sloppy looking.

copain
02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
hey tad

thanks for the crit.
With sloppy do you mean the textures themselves or the layouts?

Shade01
02-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Not bad at all. You certainly seem like you can model and texture, but everything seems so...basic. It's competently put together but lacks the details, flourishes and polish to make it an amazing thing. You should go back and increase the visual density of the level- apart from the architecture itself there isn't anything man made in there- it doesn't feel lived in at all- same goes for the textures. And be careful about showing the all the pieces of your level seperately-while it all fits together well enough, some of the pieces aren't strong enough to show off alone, imo- the tentacles for instance, are just tubes wrapped around each other. My two cents is that you should work on it a little more- even just dedicating an extra week or two to it will help you out a lot, I think.

new2LW
02-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Just a small thing from me. Your page comes up as untitled for the heading along the top of IE or you can see it in the tabs part of the browser. Also, is that a boyscout emblem ?

LaughingBun
02-11-2008, 09:27 PM
i was refering to your uv maps as sloppy. Just the way they are spaced out doesnt look very appealing even if it is the most effecient way of doing things. Covering the empty spaces with generic texture will help your presentation of the maps out. It might seem silly but it will make your work seem more clean and effecient.

WesleyTack
02-11-2008, 11:13 PM
Another Belgian! Hello!
Just watched your site / demo reel, modeling looks really good (the zbrush stuff was really nice). The texturing on some props could use the same amount of detail put in the modeling/normal mapping, you seem to put less work in the texturing? Thats just what I thought when looking at it. And I kinda have to agree with Shade01, everything looked kinda basic, but for a demo reel I guess thats fine? The demo reel will be nice to show to companies in order to get hired I'm sure, you should be proud of it! You should send it to 10-tacle Belgium, they are working on a game called Totems that has your style written all over it :)
Good work and good luck in the future!

- Wes

copain
02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Thanks alot for the feedback guys.

Shade01: your right ,I will go back in and add more to the level and beef up the textures a bit.
(Fallout 3 is looking amazing!)

new2lw:thanks for telling me, just fixed it, and found a plugin for photoshop on how to add an icon to(will try that out later.)

laughingbun : yep your wright,will beef up the textures bit more, thanks.

WesleyT: hey wesley thanks for the crit, I will beef up the textures a bit, and liven up the level more.
I remeber seeing your reel a while back, looks like you got the job you wanted. Congrats! you deserve it.
And yes I have heared about the 10tacle charleroi studio,will check em out.

thanks
steve

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2008, 12:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.